OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Missouri non res tag raised by $34. Ouch

Started by Paulmyr, April 01, 2020, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

In a news release last summer the rate hike was justified as a way to raise more money. The cost went up from $190 to $224. I thought $190 was expensive! I am probably not going to Missouri any more after returning to hunt there last year after an absence of about 15 years. I would think there will be more people like me refusing to pay such an exorbitant fee. Just a guess but I'm not sure they will be making much more money off of non resident turkey tags. Seems more like a ploy to keep more non resident hunters out of the state. I think if they were actually serious about raising money a resident tag would cost more than $17. Oh well guess I'll have to get spend my money elsewhere.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Paulmyr

Not sure. Last year was first time hunting there In a long while. If I remember correctly back in the early 2000's it was around $175.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sir-diealot

Does not sound like a very large leap over the years. Still pricey though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

fallhnt

Ya...then it bumped up to 19x.xx. 100.00 bucks a bird is about going rate for NR. Have you seen IA price?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Sir-diealot

Quote from: fallhnt on April 01, 2020, 07:23:33 PM
Ya...then it bumped up to 19x.xx. 100.00 bucks a bird is about going rate for NR. Have you seen IA price?

No I have not. I have never hunted out of state but if this virus stuff is taken care of I will be next spring in OK

John Koenig:

Spitten and drummen

Last year was the first year I got to hunt Missouri. Went to the Northwest part of the state. Good lord willing I will be back there on the 28th. My tags cost 190 last year. 224 is only 30 bucks more and is worth it to me.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

bbcoach

These states are getting their money from the residents.  Most residents pay many times the $17 resident license because they are paying property taxes, sales tax, gas tax and the list goes on an on everyday of every year.  You on the other hand are an outsider that only comes to their state once a year.  You spend a little on gas, a little for groceries, maybe a hotel for a few nights and then back to your home state.  In order to enjoy the spoils of another state, we need to realize it isn't getting cheaper to do these things.  If you think $224 is a little steep then try to find another state that is less expensive but realize, you may have to drive further (cost) or fly (cost), find an area to hunt (time and cost) or pay an outfitter (cost) for access and you'll still have to shell out money for groceries and a place to stay.  If you want to play, you have to pay.  Recreation prices are going up, along with everything else. 

Hobbes

A lot of states run about $125 for at least the first tag plus hunting license and conservation stamp (or similar).  The second is typically a little less because you've already bought the other requirements.  If MO is only requiring the $225 to kill two birds it's not out if line with other states. Some states cost more than $125 for the first tag.

Paulmyr

MN nr is $96 and res tags are $26. Missouri nr $225 and res tag is $17. My point was if it were really about funding the conservation Dept a res tag might cast more than $17. Not sure but think that's what it cost back in the early 90s

fallhnt

You don't need a license eather,unlike other states. A little easier at Walmart. You just need to let the employee know there are 2 tags coming out of the machine.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Paulmyr

Quote from: bbcoach on April 01, 2020, 07:41:37 PM
These states are getting their money from the residents.  Most residents pay many times the $17 resident license because they are paying property taxes, sales tax, gas tax and the list goes on an on everyday of every year.
You would be paying these fees even if you didn't turkey hunt.

Cowboy

Tom007

nativeks

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 01, 2020, 07:44:12 PM
MN nr is $96 and res tags are $26. Missouri nr $225 and res tag is $17. My point was if it were really about funding the conservation Dept a res tag might cast more than $17. Not sure but think that's what it cost back in the early 90s
Their conservation department is funded through a 1/8% sales tax and is one of the best funded in the country.