OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning BPS 20 Gauge,22"  (Read 12857 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Browning BPS 20 Gauge,22"
« on: March 21, 2020, 01:40:28 PM »
I am a Browning fan,they are my favorite shotguns built.I am a bps guy and I have been wanting to add a new 20 gauge and was really looking hard at a semi but I did a little looking around the last few days and found one of the new bps models in a 26" black synthetic bps and I am extremely interested in picking this gun up for triple duty,grouse,ducks and gobblers.

I have already decided to have it drilled and tapped so I have the choice of using a scope,red dot etc if I choose too, down the road for turkey and maybe whitetails.

I also like the idea of the new stock being able to be cut down a little if needed for fit.I think id like to have this gun by mid April so I can set it up and turkey hunt with it this year.

I really like the look of the bps in all black and the new design looks good as well.I already have a few turkey chokes that I can run in the new gun,I have a .555 Indian creek and a .570 briley and tons of different ammo to test out.

How many of you are running a 20 gauge bps for turkey?...It will be a perfect little brother for my 12 Gauge Nwtf 3.5".
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:45:07 PM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Browning BPS Field Composite 20 Gauge,26"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »
I have same gun. I use 585 with 9s. Meadow creek makes a mount that goes on rib for red dot. No drilling required.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 07:46:10 PM »
That's a nice little mount but I would get it drilled and tapped instead,I have a family friend that is a gunsmith and I like being able to mount a scope,red dot or reflex sight on my guns if I decide to use one.I am trying to hold off for a few weeks yet on buying but may pull the trigger later this coming week.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 08:31:16 PM »
That's great. Hope your able to go out and get a few gobblers.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »
What optic are you using?Do you have the new version of the bps? I will be using #6's or tss #7 as we cant use anything smaller than #7's

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 08:54:08 PM »
Sent a PM

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 05:12:16 PM »
I found an almost nib 22" 20 ga bps micro with 4 chokes,sling and case for a really good price and I like the look of the wood.I am meeting up with the older gentleman tomorrow around 11am. He bought the gun nib from a conservation officer a few years back and put a few turkey shells through it.He said it is in mint shape and he has no reason to keep it,it is a beautiful looking gun and I am going to buy it if it is mint.I can use the $400+ I would save on something else.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 05:27:31 PM »
He is even bringing the 3 shells he has left from the box of turkey shells.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 12:12:19 PM »
The gun was as advertised,he was a man in his mid 60's who had recently been gifted a newer semi auto and didn't need this gun and wanted the money to pay for a fishing trip for trout coming up.

I misunderstood him yesterday on phone and he only shot three shells in total,I received 7 #5 longbeards,4 chokes(including .565 Carlson turkey choke),sling and case.I was going to need to pick up a box of #5's as its about the only 20 gauge turkey load I am out of at the moment.I shouldered gun and it is perfect.I would rate it a 99-100 and very well looked after.I got a real good deal on it and I am getting it dipped and drilled and tapped and It will become my go to 20 gauge turkey gun in the coming years.

I already have an email out for dipping costs and turnaround time,I am not sure it can or will be this spring with what is happening in the world, I hope it can be done.I am pretty excited to get this deal on this gun.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
Very nice!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Re: Browning BPS 20 Gauge,22"
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »
I am taking it and dropping it off tomorrow evening to have it drilled and tapped,I am not sure which base I'll use.I may use a small one as I do not think I'll use anything but a red dot or reflex ever on the gun but I will find out tomorrow. It will cost me $60 to have it done and I will have it back in a few days.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 03:59:06 PM »
I am sending it away to have it dipped in bottomland camo and should have it back by April 18-20th at latest as it depends on how many days it takes in mail.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 04:44:33 PM »
These are the three patterns I have it down too.I like "new" bottomland and treebark more than the original I believe.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »
I had a great chat with the guy that is going to dip my gun and he was straight up and said that I would be pushing it to have it back by end of April as he is busy and then there is the shipping question,I agreed and plan on hunting with it this season as is and sending it to him early June to have dipped.

I have to be honest, I am a little hesitant to ship something right now that is not a priority anyway.I am now going to decide on either a vortex venom or burris fast fire 3 for the new gun.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 01:22:07 PM »
I ordered the marlin 336 base and it arrived today so I went and dropped gun off.I plan on using a Vortex venom,Burris fast fire 3 or Nikon spur for turkey but I had him drill and tap it for both little bases in case I choose to put a scope on it.I can just take off the 2nd base when I am running a red dot.I really like the gun as is with the wood finish and am thinking about keeping it "original".

I am looking around trying to figure out who makes a nice leather custom "turkey" sling that I can purchase in the next few weeks.