OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinions on "Tree Shooting"

Started by GobbleNut, March 18, 2020, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Only had one fly up into a tree. Buddy was breaking up a fall flock and one flew into a tree about 25 yards away. Went home with me in the truck. I eat turkey. Jumped one one time and shot him as he took to the air. He also went home to the pan. Would do it again. I don't shoot birds off the roost as it is not legal and I don't put out a big pile of corn as it is also not legal. Some do. I see it as a personal choice however the wardens number is programmed into my phone.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

derek

A bird coming to the call "tree hopping" would be fair game where legal or if one flew up to see due to being in thick cover.  A spooked bird that flew up into a tree would be safe. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

eggshell

Fall birds, especially young, fly up into trees on a regular bases when spooked.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: derek on March 20, 2020, 12:15:55 PM
A bird coming to the call "tree hopping" would be fair game where legal or if one flew up to see due to being in thick cover.  A spooked bird that flew up into a tree would be safe.

Seems to me it would be hard to tell if one was poping up to see or if it was spooked. Only time I ever seen them tree hoping was when they go to roost and are trying to find the right perch. They get a pass. The others, well each to his own so long as its legal.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

derek

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 21, 2020, 12:23:42 AM
Quote from: derek on March 20, 2020, 12:15:55 PM

Seems to me it would be hard to tell if one was poping up to see or if it was spooked. Only time I ever seen them tree hoping was when they go to roost and are trying to find the right perch. They get a pass. The others, well each to his own so long as its legal.

I had a hen fly up to look for me last year in South Florida.  It was very thick.  She hung out in that tree looking for a bit then tried to pitch down right on top of me.. at which point she did see me when she hit the 15 yard mark and flared, landing back into a tree.  But had she been spooked initially - I don't think she would have tried to pitch towards me.  Weird gal though - she would also gobble.  I have shotty video of the events but it gives you the idea.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04XpIynhIM0

A few days before my buddy had a hen fly up as she came into him as well.  Common practice there because its so thick? 

I've personally never been presented in a similar situation or the tree hopping situation with a gobbler.  But I've heard tale of each. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

RutnNStrutn