News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on "Tree Shooting"

Started by GobbleNut, March 18, 2020, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

POk3s

Never been presented with that opportunity or anything even close. As for being an opportunist, I'll take any opportunity I can. I don't live in turkey country and my trips are usually long weekend trips. If I'm able to find a bird and put myself in a "shootable" position, I'm taking him.

howl

Depends on circumstances. I let one go once because it flew up. Had been playing cat and mouse with that old character for the better part of a week. I didn't shoot because I figured it made it to its roost and had won.

Nope. It flew up to get a look. The other turkeys went on to the roost. The gobbler then went to join them. Talk about kicking myself. I was about to shoot it when it hopped up. I could have shot it when it was on the limb.

RiverRoost

I don't know about this one. Just me personally I see the hunt as a game and I think I'd feel bad shooting one out of a tree. He lives in a tree and to me that kinda his one and only safe space against me so I'd say if he gets in a tree then the game is off, until he flies down. Guess I always have that "nice guy" mentality about a lot of things but you know what they say about nice guys, always finish last

Brwndg

I limited out early so went out to call for a buddy who had been skunked so far that season. We had a bird gobbling at first light and moved in to about 150 yds. We called...he answered. Then his hens answered. After fly down he gobbled again about 200 yds away and moving off. I crawled over to my buddy and we were discussing plan B when I noticed a fan in the woods about 80 yds out.
Apparently a subordinate Tom decided to come check us out after the dominant Tom left w all the girls.
This bird saw our deke and came in strutting-half strutting until he got about 18 yds from the hen deke which was ~20 yds in front of us.
For some unknown reason he slicked down and started putting and ran past us at 20 yds. I'm telling my buddy "SHOOT HIM, SHOOT HIM" as he's running past us. Then the bird flies up into a tree about 25 yds out and just sits there.
My buddy looks at me and asks if he should shoot.
Again, I say to him..."SHOOT HIM"
He does. Only bird he has shot the last three seasons
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Wigsplitter

dzsmith

ive only had them do that out of range. if one did it in range. and I knew it was a legal gobbler id probably shoot him. But im no limb lifter.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Tail Feathers

Quote from: guesswho on March 18, 2020, 09:54:17 AM
Bang, flop, enhance the truth for entertainment purposes.
Same here.  The last part kind of goes without saying doesn't it? :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

StruttinGobbler3

If that bird came in to my calling from a further distance, that proves to me he has been fooled and is committed; in my mind that means I have earned the harvest of that gobbler. So this is how I would handle the situation. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the old TK and Mike comedy hunting videos, but if you are you will get the joke. The hunt would end like this- "KA-TOW! He hit the ground..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Marc

Had a bunch of hens come and land in the tree I was sitting under last season...  I was looking for a tom...  Not sure how I would have proceeded had one been a tom...  Had it been on the last day of the season, I would guess there would be a bit less consideration though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tomstopper

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 18, 2020, 06:13:39 PM
I have never been in that position so I really dont know. Probably depends on how my season is going. If it happens then I will decide.
This

CAPTJJ

I would not shoot a turkey in a tree any time of day, not sporting to me, but I also have no desire to shoot one with anything but an arrow.

RED NECK

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

chefrific

My first turkey, which happened to be my very first turkey hunt, was shot as he was still gliding down from his roost mid air. About 4ft off the ground right in front of me.  Now that was just youth ignorance on my part, but luckily it worked. 
Many seasons later, I tree yelped at a bird on the roost and he pitched out and I could see him coming towards me.  Just as he was about to hit the ground he must have spotted something he didn't like, flapped up and landed on a limb, right beside me.  I raised up and and as soon as he turned around on the limb and stuck his head over to look at me, I introduced his head to a load of #4's.
Definitely have thought about that moment a few times.  Would I do that again --in the same situationYes sir.