turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on "Tree Shooting"

Started by GobbleNut, March 18, 2020, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

A post in another thread about shooting a gobbler that flies up in a tree when he's coming in (not technically "on the roost") got me to thinking this would be a good subject to pass some time on.

So, if you call a gobbler in that has been coming to you on the ground and then flies up into a tree within range (and assuming it is legal to do so) is it ethical to shoot that gobbler?

My personal opinion (again, assuming it is legal where I am hunting) is that any gobbler that does that with me is in big trouble.  :)

What say you?...

rifleman

He would be flopping shortly after landing on the limb.  No hesitation on my part.

blake_08

If he's on the ground and i called him to the gun, and he flies up to get a better look see, I'm killing him. He doesn't get a pass from me because of a technicality.

Southerngobbler

I've had that happen three times in the last two years. Luckily each time they were just out of range and one time it was a jake so I never had to make the decision. I'm not sure if it would even be legal here in Florida but it seems like some of the birds are evolving into that type of behavior, probably cuz of coyotes. I think if you called them in and they choose to limb hop to you they should probably get shot but im not sure. I't will be interesting to see what others have to say. It might also depend on the distance you called them-as long as their roost tree was nowhere in the vicinity.

guesswho

Bang, flop, enhance the truth for entertainment purposes.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

strum

I would ask him nicely to please come out of the tree and get closer for a chat. If he dont . Then I must assume he ignored me and that would make me very mad.

Seriously  though . Ive never shot one out of a tree and its generally frowned on . this is a different situation than a roost kill.
This is a smart bird and so taking the shot may be the only option .
Its really no different that if he had jumped up on a log or a high spot . IMHO

trkehunr93

I've shot one out of a tree in the fall, after getting set up on a flock that flew off the roost shortly there after.  One came into range, or so I thought, and I missed.  A bird flew into a tree directly behind me, as they scattered, about 20 yards so I turned around, settled the bead and shot.  The turkey hit the ground and started flopping so I thought ok I'm good.  I run down to get her, a hen, and she jumps up and runs off, drops to the ground again as I'm in pursuit and she gets up again and runs out of site.  I feel the small branches I didn't see when I shot blew the pattern apart.  My heart sank, I went back up to get my stuff I had left at the tree and collect myself.  I start walking the direction she went and get to a road and I'm thinking if she crossed here I'll never find her.  There's a small branch I had to cross by the road and as I'm crossing it that little voice says look in that culvert, sure enough there she stood.  the second shot was fatal but I said never again on tree shooting, it would have to be a perfectly open shot for me to even consider it and even then I'd pass. 

JL_Longbeard

Great question.... I have never seen a fired up gobbler fly unless I missed him. Do they pop up in trees to get a better view to find Ms. Raspy Hen????

Sir-diealot

On a roosted bird never. in this situation I am still not sure I would want to take the shot, just does not feel right to me. I would also not shoot at one on the wing.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Hobbes

I've never personally had it happen that I can recall, unless you count a coyote running a bird up into a tree.  I know folks that have seen it, but in neither case did they have an opportunity to shoot.  I suppose the bird flies up to get a better look.  I'd have to assume that he has reason to believe that something isn't quite right.  I don't really know if I'd shoot him or not

bbcoach

Ethically NO!  First thing in the morning and fly up in the evening, he's on the roost.  Middle part of day, GREY area.  If you are hunting doves and they land on a wire, you don't shoot them.  You scare them off and then shoot them.  Same with ducks on the water, don't shoot until they fly, unless they are crippled.  My 2 cents!

owlhoot

Quote from: JL_Longbeard on March 18, 2020, 10:10:06 AM
Great question.... I have never seen a fired up gobbler fly unless I missed him. Do they pop up in trees to get a better view to find Ms. Raspy Hen????
Yes , had it happen to me when at the end of the season in a creek bottom it was really growed up. Tom flew up at 25 yards or so .
Missouri so I did not shoot .
Also seen them hop up on large fallen trees to get a better look.

TauntoHawk

Third turkey I ever shot I missed clean and he flew up into a tree 20yds away like "what the heck was that" and I didn't blink an eye about dropping him like a sack of potatoes off that limb.

another scenario I've had though, I was set up on 2 birds on the roost, they flew down and I could hear them drumming just over a rise in a little creek bottom in range but out of sight then the woods exploded - turkeys cackling, all sorts of noises in the leaves  I thought the birds were fighting until turkeys were airborne in every direction, one tom sails maybe 5ft over my head through the timber and lands in a tree at what i later ranged as 41yds. I hear running and think the other tom is coming at me on foot and a coyote barrels over the bank and is staring down my gun barrel. Ive now got the culprit of the mornings disturbance dead to rights and the intended target 40yds in the open on a limb. I instinctively decided I hadn't earn the turkey yet but the yote had earned a lesson. He took the #7s and the gobbler lived another day only missing a few tail feathers. I can only assume not getting to watch it unfold that the coyote attacked from behind while the birds was in strut and all he got was a mouth full of feathers.

Now I won't shoot a roosted bird out of a tree for any reason if his feet haven't touched the ground yet.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dtrkyman

He's toast!!!  He comes to the call he is shot,  many states have a time where it is legal to shoot a turkey in a tree, I believe it is 7am in Illinois.

Comparing it to wing shooting makes no sense to me, we shoot turkeys in the head on the ground anyway, not a valid comparison in my opinion. Though I do agree on the ducks and doves!

Have never seen a gobbler in a tree mid day, but ain't looking up there either.

JL_Longbeard

Quote from: owlhoot on March 18, 2020, 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: JL_Longbeard on March 18, 2020, 10:10:06 AM
Yes , had it happen to me when at the end of the season in a creek bottom it was really growed up. Tom flew up at 25 yards or so .
Missouri so I did not shoot .
Also seen them hop up on large fallen trees to get a better look.

I guess I can see it happening in late season. I've had a few Jakes jump up on a log to look for me while coming in silent, but never anything that flew. Maybe it'll happen this year, last year I had a hen that tried to gobble at me.... that was a new one, but time in the woods pays in experience.