turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Miffed today

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 14, 2020, 03:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

well I guess it was over due. I have had a perfect track record for the last 10 years. The last bird I missed was in April 10 years ago. Today I put another in the miss column. I worked a bird starting at 6:50 this morning and finally got him in at 10:15. I was in some thick jungle , not my choice but his. Everything was perfect except that. He gobbled maybe 12 times the whole morning. Finally could hear him drumming and he was drifting to my left. Had gun on him when he hit the best opening I had. He was in full strut standing in the opening around 27 or 28 yards. That was about the max distance I could see. I clucked and he dropped out of strut but took one step when he did. I had a basketball size hole to shoot him through and felt really good about it. I pulled the shot a tad and I knew it when I did. Away he went living to see another day. I walked to where he was standing and backtracked back to the tree I was set up at. Yep about 15 yards from the set up I found a 2" sapling that was cut in half. I had a great time though and will be waiting for him or his buddy to gobble in the morning.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Harty

Great story and close encounter. Get im next time!

GobbleNut

Bummer of a way to start the season.  Hope you make it up tomorrow.

HookedonHooks

Happens to the best of us! At least you got that out of the way for the next 10 years.

JeffC

Thank you for sharing. Will make for a great hunt and story when you battle with him and you win.  I sometimes find these hunts better than the fly down, gobble, bang hunts. Would you be so kind as to share what call you were using? And I hope for your next hunt to be safe and successful and look foreword to a story  with pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Great story, tough shot. I give you credit for sharing that. I respect that, most guys won't talk about a miss. Anyone that turkey hunts has them in their black book whether they reveal it or not. You will nail him next time. Be safe my friend.
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

I really enjoyed the story of working him most of the morning , that's a win in my book any day. I hate you missed, but i do agree he lives to get hunted another day . Good luck again tomorrow morning. That gobbler has a new name , the sapling Tom ...

guesswho

It's always sporting to fire a warning shot informing them that season has officially started. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spitten and drummen

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not ashamed to admit to a miss. It does not happen to me often but I am sure it will again , I just hope its another 10 years before it happens. I was actually using a Watkins fiddle box. Its a new one I just got a few days ago. I am certain I did not cut a feather. Im upset about missing but crippling one is gut wrenching to me. People love to post hero pics. I do too , but seldom does anyone post about a miss. I learned more about the terrain this bird is in due to searching for him. Even though I knew it was a clean miss , I always comb the area out to about 150 yards. I know where I will be before daylight in the morning and I will switch calls. I have a feeling there is another gobbler or 2 around there even if he tight lipped.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: guesswho on March 14, 2020, 04:35:06 PM
It's always sporting to fire a warning shot informing them that season has officially started.

Haha. Thats a good practice. I like educated birds better anyway.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

eggshell

I had this very thing happen to me last year in Ky., but my gobbler flew up into a tree and sat there putting....no I didn't shoot him out of the tree! I set there hoping he'd come back down and gobble, but he flew off across the valley after several minutes.

Tom007

Amen, Greg is right, working a bird and having the patience to sit that long takes talent and skill. Great hunt, good luck tomorrow, the shooting lane is now clear if he hits it again. Be safe, can't wait to see a pic of him.
"Solo hunter"

Rzrbac

Great story, I can certainly relate to the missing and have cut a few saplings myself. You know I remember those birds just as well as those I've killed. In the end, it's all about the memories.

Tom007

Amen, I think our turkey guns cut cleaner than the best hedge trimmer. Be safe :agreed:
"Solo hunter"

OldSwamper

It happens to everyone, smooth missed one at 25-30 yards that my buddy smoked backing me up, and it was a stud bird.  Another Buddy of mine had one come several hundred yards down a dirt road to us and went nose to nose w decoy at 12 yards and he missed him 3 times.  I still had gun in my lap from calling, still scratch my head on that one.  Get him tomorrow Jody....