OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Miffed today

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 14, 2020, 03:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Great Story!  Great Hunt!  Sorry for the miss though.  Seems when we are caught up in the throws of the Hunt, we normally look right through that 2" sapling or that 4" fence post.  If you haven't done this yet, it's only a matter of time.  Good Luck tomorrow and the rest of the season.

1iagobblergetter

That's why they call it hunting.
I missed 2 separate birds on the same day about 10 years ago. That's after patterning before season etc. Worse thing was I didn't have a spare gun and was 3 hours from home.
First one I thought it was me,second one I didn't care if it was me or the gun I was going to switch guns before a bird ran off crippled.
I plain and simple couldn't get use to the sights on the gun.
Went to a scope and haven't missed since.
Sounds like a fun hunt regardless. Good luck tomorrow. Aim small...miss small... :icon_thumright:

Here turkey turkey turkey

It happens, good job on the 10 year streak.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

randy6471

It sucks that you missed, but thanks for sharing....lots of hunters wouldn't.

Sounds like you had a great hunt with the exception of a kill and my hats off to you for staying with him for 3+ hours....with not much gobbling. I've hunted birds like that and I know how hard it can be to stick with them, when they aren't really vocal. Just about the time he hasn't gobbled in awhile and you're thinking "he's gone...I get outta here and go find another one", he gobbles and you think "ok, another 1/2 hour".

Good luck tomorrow!!!

3bailey3

hate that Jody, but it was a good hunt and a great 10 year run, I wish I could say the same, I have made way to many misses, the last tree I cut in half I drug it back to the truck and carried it back to camp!

bower7706

Sad news!  Get him next time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Happy hooker

So you get to eat steak tonite instead of turkey,,and still had turkey hunting action,,sounds like a good day.

Haypatch

Sounds like a great morning up until the end!! Wish you good luck and open shots in the morning!

gergg

Disappointing for sure, but a fun hunt none the less. Get them in the morning!!
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

strum

Hope to hear about a success in the morn. This is a sleep loosing thing for me .
I can relive in my head every one I ever missed.
Not saying how many  :toothy9:
But its gonna happen . Sounds like you had the morning we dream about though .

harleytom

Missed one in the wide open at 20 yards a couple of years ago. He moved his head just as I was squeezing trigger and I tried to move with him, big mistake. Hang in there, anyone that hasn't missed, hasn't hunted very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXTOM

Happens to everyone eventually! If it hasn't.....then you just haven't hunted long enough! Get back after him tomorrow....and good luck!

Yoteduster

We all miss sooner or later but i'm sure you had a great time calling him in and the time in the woods

Cut N Run

Sounds like a great hunt with the wrong outcome.  At least you went ahead and got the miss out of the way.  Now, you can get back to connecting for the next decade.  Good luck the rest of the season.  I'll bet you don't miss the next one.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

NCL

Great story, thank you for sharing the details. A few years ago I had a perfect set up with one coming in from my right side, right handed so that was good. The set up is in a circle of live Oaks with some bushed on my right so I had great concealment.  The bird arrives in front of me at about 20 yards, gun up shot made, bird is running off. I had already been thinking of how I was going to cook him.  After the miss I was scratching my head trying to figure how I missed that easy shot. Took a closer look at the terrain which was slightly angling down with knee high grass. When I looked at where he had been walking I found there was a drop and he must have steeped down when I shot so I shot over the top of him. At least that is my excuse