OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gooserbat I'm a dummy Giveaway... WINNER

Started by Gooserbat, March 10, 2020, 01:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Ripped the fender off my truck backing out to get closer to a distant gobbling turkey.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

DrJaJa

Landowner told me to hang out near the road where the turkeys walk down - I thought I knew better and camped a meadow between roost and water.  Turns out the turkeys took the road walking right by my truck while I was in the woods...

uarobert

Getting in a hurry and setting up in places where there was no way I wouldn't get busted.

jcraft1

Called in a big tom on opening day in the Virginia mountains and didn't pull the trigger because I thought it was too far. I later went back to measure the distance because I couldn't stop thinking about it and it was only 25 yards. It happen 3 years ago and still hurts.

fishfrey

Wake up o'dark thirty, crawl out of bed and into the woods, gets light and everything seams a-little fuzzy, I never put on my glasses.

kp3100

Invited a couple buddies (they're brothers) for a "guys" weekend turkey hunting at my cousins farm. We struck out Saturday, birds were quiet after fly down. That night we had a few beers, maybe to many, played cards, and stayed up tellin old stories. A hard rain had moved in, and was suppose to clear out after sunrise Sunday morning. We devised a plan to take my cousins side by side to cross the creek that morning to get to a spot to setup a blind, where we could watch a long ridge and wait out the rain. We're up early, a little groggy and slow moving. Not sure why, lol. Anyway we get loaded up, cross the creek alright, then we decide instead of setting the blind up, we'd just sit in the side by side until the rain let up enough to get out a move around. We pull up to the end of the ridge to sit and watch. Well low and behold a Tom and a few hens show out on the ridge about 300 yards away. Mind you it's still pouring rain. We watched those hens drag the Tom to within 15 feet of the side by side, and down over the hill.  Next time you can bet I'll set that blind up. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Didn't insure the bird was dead. Many moons ago I'd shot a hen in the fall. Just chucked her into the back seat of the car. Down the road a few miles had that strange feeling I was being watched. Turns out, I was right. She was standing in my daughters booster watching me. Thinking I could handle her easily since she was "mortally wounded" I just reached back and grabbed her by the neck. Let me just tell everyone here and now, pull over to execute this move. She went berserk and had me fighting for my own life for several miles. Things were a little touch and go before I was able to finally take control of the situation. Made for an interesting story in the end.

Figured I'd share one more. Few years ago I worked a couple toms for 3 straight days. And I mean worked them HARD! They'd gobble like no ones business but I was always strapped for time because I had to get to work by 7:30. After 2 days of trying to pull them across the field and one day of setting up on their side of the field, I'd decided I'd had enough. I took the 4th day off to insure I had time to kill one of those birds. Slipped into the woods edge before daylight and got set. Not a peep on the roost. Knowing they should've sounded off by now, I cut loose on a crow call. 3 birds answered. Laid it on them with the sweetest calls I could. One minute they'd be coming towards me then the next minute they'd be going the other way. Just a constant back and forth game. Finally, when I was certain they were headed away, I slipped in closer to catch them at the edge of their strut zone. Couldn't loop around them due to property boundaries. As I approached something became very apparent to me. There was a fence they were unwilling to cross. And rightfully so. I had just learned that I'd spent hours working birds, on the other side of a fence, on a farm, in the gentleman's yard! Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. But one thing became very clear. For the amount of time I'd put into those birds, if one had broken free, I'd have probably killed the heaviest bird of my life. They beat a hefty path along that fence trying to get to the "hen" on my side of the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Your not the only one that has left your shotgun Sam.  Four of us were hunting in Kansas on some private property.  To get to the property, we had to drive down a public dirt road.  We parked, in a pull off, on the public road and walked into the private property for a morning hunt.  I killed a bird that morning.  When we returned to the truck and relived the hunt, I propped my 835 against a fence post to put my bird and vest in the truck and we drove off leaving the gun right where I had leaned it.  After I realized what had happened, some miles and an hour later, we returned to the pull off and the 835 was still right where I had left, Thank God.  I have become more ANAL about my equipment now!  Especially after a kill.

Some of these stories are HILARIOUS!!!!

timberjack86

Forgot my gun one morning, drove 2 hrs back home and said forget it I will try again tomorrow lol

Tom007

Mine is kind of comical. On my way to my first Turkey hunt ever in PA in 1984, I made sure that I was ready to harvest my first turkey. I mastered the mouth call, read all the books, sighted in my 1100, and headed out. I got a few miles from home, and remembered that I forgot my Turkey carry strap. Imagine how confident I was, packing a carry strap. Well, you all know the drill. I actually drove back for the strap. Now I was ready. Well, I got humbled that day, in fact that season. I really could have left the gun, strap, shells, and calls home that day. I learned real fast that I had a long way to go before I learned this great sport. I have since enjoyed harvesting turkeys ever since. Sometimes a real humbling experience sets you up for success in the future. Thanks for supporting all of us, this site, and this great sport of turkey hunting. Amen Gooserbat.

Eddie12

Mine would have to be miss judging my yardage and well you know then missing the turkey. A little patience over the years has helped but excitement will get anyone trigger happy. lol Thanks for the opportunity.
Stoeger M3000

RutnNStrutn

I was sitting and calling one morning. Quiet morning, very little action. Then I had to pee, but waited as long as I could. Finally I could wait no longer. I slowly did a 360 to see if any birds were slipping in silent. Not seeing any, I stood up and there was a gobbler standing behind some short brush 30 yards away. He took to the wing and flew out of my life. If I'd have waited another 30 seconds, I would have had him.  ::)

AU coonhunter

Mine would be not being patient enough in some circumstances. Always give it 5 more minutes when you have set down on a bird and are ready to leave.

Sixes

Drove 96 miles to my club early one morning, got out to hit the woods and couldn't find my shotgun. It was in my Dad's truck from a trip a couple of days before. I took a nap and drove back home at lunch to get my gun.

Now, it is the first thing that I switch over when we get home from a trip.

I once forgot my buddy on a deer hunting trip. I got up early to make the drive and about halfway down, I got a phone call and as soon as I saw the name, I thought "uh oh, I forgot to go get him".  We still laugh about it

mdunc43

Drove across the old iron bridge, parked and took off up the ridge. After hunting all morning, with no luck, I came back to the bottoms to see that the creek was rising fast and the bottoms were flooding. I hastily waded waist to chest high water all the way back to the truck, then pushed water for about 100 yards on the way out with the bumper and drove 45 minutes home in my underwear. ::)