turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you look for in a turkey?

Started by Here turkey turkey turkey, March 08, 2020, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

I like ones that give me a story to tell.

There aren't many that don't leave me with a story to tell. In fact, I can't remember the last gobbler that left this world wholly anonymously. Sometimes it's the way they come in, or the way they show up unexpectedly. If I don't know a lot about them individually, I know something about the gobbler that was their granddaddy or their great granddaddy. That is a story in and of itself.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ddturkeyhunter

If given a choice it always the strutter, and if he is gobbleing coming in thats the iceing on the cake. There all trophies in my eyes.

Gobble!

One that gobbles all the way to gun and has a full fan.

THattaway

Full fan and/or long beard. If it's two or more I'll go for the strutter. On a couple of occasions I've shot the looker because I had a prior history with him, picked me off and blew the deal previously. Sorta had a grudge to settle.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

zelmo1

I look for a) mature bird
              b) accessability
              c) huntability
I believe any mature turkey is a trophy. The memories made hunting them are what I need.  :z-twocents: Al Baker

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TauntoHawk

I want gobbling I'm sure I've killed a few silent birds but those memories must be the quickest to fade away as I seem to more vividly recall the hunts where they can in screaming with drumming you can feel in your chest.

Once dead I enjoy the surprise factor of the spurs you never really know what you have until you pick him up. But a barrel chest and swinging paint brush does raise the pulse when he's on his way in.

Ultimately if they didn't gobble I probably wouldnt hunt them so thats it for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RutnNStrutn

I look for a full fan. Most of the time you can't see spurs because of the grass. If more than one bird comes in, I look for the one with the bigger body and better beard. The dominant strutter is not always the best scoring bird.

Big Pine

Quote from: tomstopper on March 08, 2020, 09:03:13 PM
Any mature Tom that wants to play the game for me. More about the overall hunt but when I do get one, I love flipping him over and checking out them hooks too
^^ I second this

RED NECK

I look for different recipes to use after I kill them,I am a beard guy but I like a stubborn gobbler to hunt now and then.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

kennedyh1990

A full fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

A sneaky one . Goes quiet and comes in behind or to the sides and hammers at 20 yards or so

trkehunr93

I prefer a mature gobble and the sight of the tip of a full fan cresting a ridgetop...but I also enjoy eating wild turkey more than I enjoy tag soup so if it's a legal bird and he's curious, he's probably gonna die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Range...  How far away he is... :toothy12:

Most of the time I look at the beards, as it is rare I can see the spurs.  Were I able to see spurs, I would probably take hooked spurs over a longer beard though.
Most of my birds are in tall grass...  Sometimes a full-fanned bird gets shot if I can see any part of a beard...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.