OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you look for in a turkey?

Started by Here turkey turkey turkey, March 08, 2020, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here turkey turkey turkey

1. Spurs

2. Beard

3. Weight

The main thing I wants is 2. I like a big old grey/black paintbrush.  :drool:

To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

fallhnt

I look for any legal turkey

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

1iagobblergetter

A challenge enough to keep me excited enough to have them on the brain all year long like I do. Spring Jakes get a pass from me though.

GobbleNut

I am a beard guy, as well.  Not that I don't like spurs, but it is a rare gobbler that I get to take a good look at its spurs before pulling the trigger.  Bottom line for me is that, if two or more gobblers come to the call at the same time, my decision on which to shoot is made solely on beard length (1st) and beard thickness (2nd).  Of course, this is assuming I have the option of choosing any one bird out of a group. 

I think some folks will shoot the primary strutter when given multiple options thinking that it will be the dominant, and probably oldest, gobbler and therefore be most likely to have good spurs.  If you are a spur guy, that is probably the wisest choice and best bet. 

For me personally, though, the best beard is gonna be my target in most situations. 

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 08, 2020, 02:22:30 PM
I am a beard guy, as well.  Not that I don't like spurs, but it is a rare gobbler that I get to take a good look at its spurs before pulling the trigger.  Bottom line for me is that, if two or more gobblers come to the call at the same time, my decision on which to shoot is made solely on beard length (1st) and beard thickness (2nd).  Of course, this is assuming I have the option of choosing any one bird out of a group. 

I think some folks will shoot the primary strutter when given multiple options thinking that it will be the dominant, and probably oldest, gobbler and therefore be most likely to have good spurs.  If you are a spur guy, that is probably the wisest choice and best bet. 

For me personally, though, the best beard is gonna be my target in most situations.

That's about exactly what I do as well

Greg Massey

My goal is the dominant bird, regardless how big or if his beard is a paint brush, i just feel he's the hardest one to kill of the flock and usually he's the oldest... Smarter the bird and the older bird is the most fulfilling of all the hunts.

huntineveryday

It depends on the hunt. If I'm hunting with my kids, I want a tom that has put on a little bit of a show (some gobbling, strutting, etc) and has a full tail fan. On those hunts I'm more worried about getting my kids excited and putting hands on a bird than anything else. I try to get friends that haven't hunted much out with me for turkeys, and the same applies those hunts as well. If there are multiple Toms in range I'll go with beard length or fullness.

If I'm on my own and have some time, I want the dominant tom, whatever he looks like. However, most of my hunts the last few years have been with my kids or new hunters and I don't think I've targeted a specific bird in the last 5 years or so.

Tail Feathers

If more than one Tom comes in I try to take the dominant bird judging by which struts and seems to be the boss. The next criteria for me is the biggest, then best beard.  I have never seen the spurs on one before I shot it so that hasn't been a factor.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Nathan_Wiles

Gobbling Tom's with Full fans get shot, long spurs and thick beards are a bonus. Probably spurs over thick beards but either one is pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

If he's not a Jake he dies!

I'm a spur guy but really don't care, come in gobbling is my preference, which is everyone's I would guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Swinging beard, full fan, even coverts or long Spurs is all I need to see.   Swinging beard or full fan is usually the easiest to identify.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

crow

I need to see one of those plastic push button things that pop up out of the breast when they are done cooking

If I can't see that sticking up thru the breast feathers at 40 yds he gets a free pass.

bbcoach

I was told when I first started hunting turkeys, you can kill Jake's until you kill your first Gobbler.  Once you kill that first Gobbler, you couldn't go back across that line EVER.  I've stuck to that Rule.  My first bird was a Gobbler so..... it's a FULL fan or nothing.  By the way, Bearded Hens are off limits too.