News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you look for in a turkey?

Started by Here turkey turkey turkey, March 08, 2020, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rzrbac

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 09, 2020, 04:54:19 PM
I want gobbling I'm sure I've killed a few silent birds but those memories must be the quickest to fade away as I seem to more vividly recall the hunts where they can in screaming with drumming you can feel in your chest.

Once dead I enjoy the surprise factor of the spurs you never really know what you have until you pick him up. But a barrel chest and swinging paint brush does raise the pulse when he's on his way in.

Ultimately if they didn't gobble I probably wouldnt hunt them so thats it for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using

Great response. I've killed some with no spurs and some with scrawny beards. Makes me no difference as long as they put on a show and raise my heart rate. With that said, no jakes even though I've had some put on a show and had full gobbles

dejake

bigriverbum

has to be a good listener
willing to try new things
easy on the eyes, comely even
two big ol' breast

tha bugman

Floppage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotspur

if I can get my hand around his neck..... He's a good one ..  Seriously I like to see a long shiny beard

Liljake

A long, wide bodacious beard. And a well endowed waddle :drool:
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

GobbleNut

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 10, 2020, 08:10:34 AM
two big ol' breast

LOL!  Now that was just plain FUNNY right there!  I am still laughing out loud! (my emoji thingy isn't working or you would be getting a whole lot of smiley faces)

Pressured Gobbler

Sorry can say things like " I won't kill him if he doesn't gobble to my calls... or " he's gotta be a limb hanger" or any of those other silver spoon gobbler sayings... I'm a public land turkey hunter and they don't come on a string very often maybe once every 10 years... I hear gobble I see beard BANG!!!!

Bearcat1997

If it's a mature tom, I'm shooting it. I prefer to pass on jakes. As far as my favorite, I love a tom that gobbles a bunch and comes in to the call hard and fast!

bigriverbum

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 10, 2020, 09:20:32 AM
Quote from: bigriverbum on March 10, 2020, 08:10:34 AM
two big ol' breast

LOL!  Now that was just plain FUNNY right there!  I am still laughing out loud! (my emoji thingy isn't working or you would be getting a whole lot of smiley faces)

i'm a simple man. what can i say?  :drool:

avidnwoutdoorsman

Depends on the hunt....

I've taken 1 jake in my life because it had a double beard, so I got two first there. I would like one more jake but mostly for a fan on my decoy. I use a hen's fan currently that works good to keep my decoy size down and less antimidating but I'd like that jake fan characteristic. Can't use the one I shot already because its on the Slam wall for first Idaho bird. So states I've hunted before, looking for one jake this year.

Otherwise it's simple, a Tom. I don't get hyped on spurs or beard (we have a lot of breakage/rot from snow). I already have some big birds with big hooks and long beards. Still have 40+ years of hunting left in me so I can't say I wont incidentally break my already personal best in all accounts by happen stance.

So for me its a Tom that wants to take a nap that day.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Ol timer

Brad_Colvin

I look for the pounding in my heart, shaking hands, shortness of breath and a full fan. Never weighed or measured anything on a turkey.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN