News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bicycling in Florida

Started by Delmar ODonnell, February 20, 2020, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmar ODonnell

Hello all,
I'm headed down to hunt Big Cypress the first 7 days of Florida's season. I was planning on flying down, but got to thinking that a bicycle could be useful if the conditions were dry enough for me to cover ground quickly with it.

Do y'all think having a bike would be useful enough to merit driving the 15 hours to haul it from North Mississippi?

3bailey3

Mossberg90MN

I would do it. Hopefully it isn't too wet though... it might be more of a pain to deal with, but I definitely can see how it would be a great advantage.

Worst case just chuck it back in the truck I suppose. Or maybe it can save you a mile here and there of walking.

rdjustham

For the hard paced roads in Big Cypress, yes.  The sugarsand trails once you get off the roads are probably still gone be hoofing it.  Depending on where you are gonna go in, and how far back on the "roads" you wanna go i would say yes.  Also depends on which unit you are going to be in as to how many and how far the roads go.

joey46

That's sugar sand in my posted avatar.  Pretty much not bikeable but some try it with really fat tired mountain bikes. I'm remembering a few bikers hunting the Bear Island area. If you've never been to Big Cypress you'll enjoy it. Good luck.

camotoe

Watch out for the cypress knees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derek

Last spring was very wet. Not all roads are very friendly to bike travel.  Still gave it hell!

I will say I thought it was worth it to have the bike.  Access points are limited.  And I truly believe I wouldn't have had the success I did without that bike.  But if you've never been, you may be caught off guard initially.  I know we were. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Delmar ODonnell

Thanks for the input guys. This will be my first time in the Cypress. I've tempered my expectations as far as getting on a bird, but I really look forward to the experience and giving it an honest try. I'm planning hunting the BI unit, and get to go down next weekend to scout, which will hopefully give me a little insight on how to approach.

Looks like driving will be worth it just for the bike, but I guess it'll also allow me to be more organized as far as what I bring. Derek, after watching yall's videos from last year, I pray it is drier this year.

FullChoke

You might consider flying in and buying a $100 Mt. bike from Walmart and donating it to a good cause when you leave. Just saying it's an options in lieu of 30 hours of driving just to bring a bicycle.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

ChiefBubba

Quote from: FullChoke on February 21, 2020, 11:23:08 AM
You might consider flying in and buying a $100 Mt. bike from Walmart and donating it to a good cause when you leave. Just saying it's an options in lieu of 30 hours of driving just to bring a bicycle.

I was thinking the same thing. Bubba

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: FullChoke on February 21, 2020, 11:23:08 AMYou might consider flying in and buying a $100 Mt. bike from Walmart and donating it to a good cause when you leave. Just saying it's an options in lieu of 30 hours of driving just to bring a bicycle.
That's also what I was thinking. You can get a cruiser with fat tires and 21 gears at Wallyworld for around $100. That's what I did. Been using mine for years, and killed many a turkey with it. When you're finished you could donate it to a youth group, or give it to the Sheriff's office. Most of the ones I know of have a program where they give used bikes to underprivileged kids at Christmas.
I've never been to the Big Cypress. I know it can get really wet. If you're coming down here to scout early, you'll know then! I have biked through sugar sand and water with my bike in the higher gears. It's definitely doable. Good luck!!
Here's a pic of my $100 Walmart bike. I added on gun racks and a rear fender to keep the water off of my back. Since this pic I've added a rear rack and milk crate to help me tote stuff in and out.

FL-Boss

There are many other advantages to driving. If I was going for a full week.. and the drive was under 15 hours.. I would consider driving it. You can carry a ton more stuff in your truck. Come and go exactly when you want.... no stress about /flight times, timelines, etc.  Don't have to deal with TSA, gun check etc, etc..
Always look at the actual "door to door time" when comparing fly vs drive time. When flying.. you don't always gain as much time as you think. Especially on short hauls like this that may have a layover. Also factor in driving from your house to airport, plus getting to the airport 2 hours early (bringing gun) Then the time it take to get gun, rental car when you land.. then time it takes to drive to your camp.
If really depends on how far you live from airport, any layover, how far camp is from the airport in Fla.

Spurs Up

sasquatch1

been wanting to make that trip, one day ill get down there and give it a shot. would love to manage get on a bird or two in there. goodluck

Delmar ODonnell

I really appreciate your responses. I'm glad to hear that I'll be able to get around places at least a little more efficient. My truck is a gas guzzler, but I've been thinking it'd be worth it just to have the extra organization and flexibility.  Florida is a lot more intimidating to dive into for the first time than any other state, but I've never been more excited for a trip. Gonna give it the college try and bird or not, I think hunting in a place like that is gonna be quite the experience.