News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bicycling in Florida

Started by Delmar ODonnell, February 20, 2020, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

Yes, I do. And here is why.

Last year I hunted Florida, just a little north west of Daytona. From my house I could have drove that in 13-14 hours. I elected to fly. Here is the problem with me flying. 2 hour drive to the airport, want to be at minimum an hour and half early to this airport. Dulles international, it can be busy. I have a gun, want to be an extra hour earlier, now 2.5 hours early to airport. The gun check in process can take a bit some times! Some times not, but you never know what your going to get. 2.5 hour flight, time to get through the airport to exit, must retrieve gun. Again this can be a hold up. Go to pick up prior booked vehicle. Another hour. Its adds up quick! Now drive and hour and half north to area I plan on hunting.

So, as you can see this 14 hour drive turns out to be a 9.5 hour flight and drive to hunting area. Not a lot of difference. Plus as stated before you are limited on the plane. I got a first class ticket and brought what I needed and wasn't concerned with the weight limits so much. Check each carrier, they are different.
Now you have awesome luck and want to return early? You cant, you have a return ticket, unless you have money falling out your butt when you walk you are stuck until your ticket is good. It cost me 700+ for the plane ticket. 700+ for the vehicle. I wanted to come home on Thursday but was stuck until Sunday.
This year I am going to Oklahoma, I am driving. 22 hours and all the gear I want. I will stay in a motel on the way out. I am planning on driving 14-15 hours the first day,(22 total) then finishing up the next morning in time to get in an evening scout. If I am fortunate and tag a turkey early I may jump in the truck go 12 hours north and hunt South Dakota. MUCH more mobile, and not pinned down. More to my liking!
The flight was fine, no issues. I just felt limited as to what I could and couldn't do. Couldn't even take part in the free cocktails on the flight because I had to drive later! To each their own I guess. Regardless, set your self up to have a good time. And do just that, have fun.

Flopper out!

WV Flopper

I would like to add something. If your not raised or in turn with swamp land. TAKE A GPS. Funny story, long too. But I got lost, packed a turkey for 3 hours and only went 1/2 mile. Had a guy blowing the horn for me the whole time and I still couldn't find my way out. Those swamps are quit different than the dry ridges I am used too. I went and bought a GPS at Bass Pro while there, after the fact! Never been lost like that before, and I have been a few places. Take plenty of socks and at least one extra pair of boots. I was up to my knees in water wearing a pair of Kenetreks. Water proof, 10" boots don't do real well in that kind of water.

joey46

Foot gear - since it was just brought up areas such as Big Cypress are better traversed in an old style fast draining jungle boot.  Your feet are going to be wet anyway but at least they won't each weigh ten pounds.   Frostbite won't be a problem. :laugh:

captpete

Lots of good info in this thread!!!!  I haven't gone on an out of state hunt YET, but there are things talked about here that I would not have considered.  :you_rock: :you_rock:

rdjustham

Quote from: Crghss on February 23, 2020, 08:29:06 AM
Bring plenty of water, people die from heat stroke. Maybe an inReach. You won't have cell service, at least last time I was out there I didn't. AT&T usually works best.

Quote from: joey46 on February 23, 2020, 01:49:38 AM
Said they didn't pack much water in but used the swamp water boiling it first I guess (I hope).

You can use a water filter/purifier. Long time ago used them out west hiking. They only filtered bacteria's, water was still pretty grimy. Pulling it out of a mud puddle.

Verizon works too. 

camotoe

Sawyer water purifier is always in my pack. I walk bear island a lot and there is no way to carry the amount of water you will need. Some days it's heigh 80 and very humid .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey46

I thought I had this picture and finally found it.  Not my picture but it is in or close to Big Cypress.  Posted on some forum within the last few years.  May have had a video with it also but I can't find it.  Picture good enough. I did have a bobcat hit a hen decoy my last trip to Big Cypress a while ago.  Hit it so fast and realized it's mistake so quickly I never got a picture.  Fun place. :turkey2:

CAPTJJ

Quote from: joey46 on February 24, 2020, 08:51:40 AM
I thought I had this picture and finally found it.  Not my picture but it is in or close to Big Cypress.  Posted on some forum within the last few years.  May have had a video with it also but I can't find it.  Picture good enough. I did have a bobcat hit a hen decoy my last trip to Big Cypress a while ago.  Hit it so fast and realized it's mistake so quickly I never got a picture.  Fun place. :turkey2:

That was me last March, posted them here, will see if I run into him again this year. Switching up my recurve for a hybrid longbow.... will still carry a .45 just in case.

joey46

Good luck.  That may have been picture of the year. 

guesswho

There was a whole sequence of pictures if I remember right.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Delmar ODonnell

Thanks guys, there is a lot of great information on this thread. Warrent, you hit the nail on the head regarding maps. I've been staring at aerial maps, but it's just hard to make much use of them without knowing what you're looking at. Definitely will make some notes this weekend that'll give me a better idea of what I'm looking at.

A water purifier is another great idea. I've got a camelback in my vest, but it only holds 3ish bottles, and a purifier will be a lot easier than lugging around the extra bottles I'll need. I was going to bring crocs and extra pairs of socks to change into when I need to get through a lot of water, but now I'm thinking a pair of cheap sneakers will be better because they don't slip around like crocs do.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on February 24, 2020, 03:16:34 PM
Thanks guys, there is a lot of great information on this thread. Warrent, you hit the nail on the head regarding maps. I've been staring at aerial maps, but it's just hard to make much use of them without knowing what you're looking at. Definitely will make some notes this weekend that'll give me a better idea of what I'm looking at.

A water purifier is another great idea. I've got a camelback in my vest, but it only holds 3ish bottles, and a purifier will be a lot easier than lugging around the extra bottles I'll need. I was going to bring crocs and extra pairs of socks to change into when I need to get through a lot of water, but now I'm thinking a pair of cheap sneakers will be better because they don't slip around like crocs do.

Make sure there are no crocodiles in that area, could be a costly sip of water.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

camotoe

I got a couple little pools of clear water , I look for my gator buddie if he's not home i strip down and take a cool dip .

KYFrid

Wise words from a veteran

makestomstremble

Love reading these posts about Florida and seeing the pictures. I am truly intrigued by the swamp country.