OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bicycling in Florida

Started by Delmar ODonnell, February 20, 2020, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

It's definitely an experience every turkey hunter should try but don't wait too long. Do it while you're young.  It will take a lot of walking/biking to do it right.  There once was a regular poster on these forums who backpacked in, stayed deep in the swamp for three or four days, and always seemed to come back with a bird.  His pictures and stories were classic.  Hope he is still around.  Maybe a panther got him?? You may not see a panther but almost guaranteed you will see a track or two if you get back off the roads.
If Big Cypress is wet you may be walking/biking a trail and find this.
But it will lead to this.  There were birds here.
Yes these are old pictures but they give you an idea.  Good luck.

sasquatch1

OP, what dates are you going? How long you staying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camotoe

Joey think you mean Hooksetter. Yup his stuff was classic.

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 22, 2020, 06:08:37 AM

I'll be down there from opening day (Saturday the 7th) through Friday the 13th.

Joey, I'm only 25, and plan on putting on all the miles my legs can take. Don't think I'm prepared to backpack in just yet, but bet it provides some great stories. I'm gonna see if I can find any of Hooksetter's old posts.

ddturkeyhunter

First time this yankee(they still give me crap around the camp fire) went down there in 2009 it was dryer then can be. When I went back in 2010 water was back to normal and the gators were back also. Found a bigger one blocking my path one day and didn't want to move ended hitting him with big chunk s of wood before he got out of the way.

sasquatch1

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on February 22, 2020, 11:40:24 AM
First time this yankee(they still give me crap around the camp fire) went down there in 2009 it was dryer then can be. When I went back in 2010 water was back to normal and the gators were back also. Found a bigger one blocking my path one day and didn't want to move ended hitting him with big chunk s of wood before he got out of the way.

Did you get on any birds?

dirtnap

Quote from: camotoe on February 22, 2020, 06:44:30 AM

I thought it was Headcrusher.  When he posted, it wasn't a bunch of junk.  He actually killed turkeys!

guesswho

Quote from: dirtnap on February 22, 2020, 01:57:11 PM
Quote from: camotoe on February 22, 2020, 06:44:30 AM

I thought it was Headcrusher.  When he posted, it wasn't a bunch of junk.  He actually killed turkeys!
Y'all are probably taking about Dave, aka hooksetter and Neckringer.   On most of the hunting forums he goes by Neckringer.   He's not real bright and has probably forgotten his password.   But he does get it done in the Cypress, and about anywhere else he goes.  He Usually starts blowing my phone up with pictures about this time of year.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dirtnap

Yeah, Neckringer is who I was thinking of. 

ddturkeyhunter

cdn.com/20200222/9bf73f2e639a99e7b71144730bc6f7f3.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Did you get on any birds?

[/quote]
Yes I did get onto birds, but luck wasn't on my side to close the deals. But I walked all day from one till dark and learned as much as I could. It took me coming back the following year to seal the deal. Been going down ever other year now, and after learning the lay of the land tagged out past two times down public land.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on February 22, 2020, 09:37:25 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 22, 2020, 06:08:37 AM

I'll be down there from opening day (Saturday the 7th) through Friday the 13th.

Joey, I'm only 25, and plan on putting on all the miles my legs can take. Don't think I'm prepared to backpack in just yet, but bet it provides some great stories. I'm gonna see if I can find any of Hooksetter's old posts.

Damn, jealous. Makes me wanna join you but I only have the damn weekend off. Good luck I'm sure you'll find some with that much time.

joey46

"Hooksetter" sounds right. I remember a picture of their water supply. Said they didn't pack much water in but used the swamp water boiling it first I guess (I hope). He was standing there holding a clear plastic jug with brown liquid. Whew! Those must have been some trips.

squidd

Always let someone know where you are going and be careful what you kick!

Low percentage of run-ins with gators, but it does happen.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-ne-gator-bite-victim-interview-20191113-kmjirrjhmfbdnoy56otp5vsy34-story.html

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-alligator-woman-bitten-1458030

Should have mentioned, I used a bike once last year and besides not getting in shape to ride, the trail was rough and sugar sand was deep.  Would use a bike if the trail was a little smoother and bike had a softer seat :blob10:

Crghss

Bring plenty of water, people die from heat stroke. Maybe an inReach. You won't have cell service, at least last time I was out there I didn't. AT&T usually works best.

Quote from: joey46 on February 23, 2020, 01:49:38 AM
Said they didn't pack much water in but used the swamp water boiling it first I guess (I hope).

You can use a water filter/purifier. Long time ago used them out west hiking. They only filtered bacteria's, water was still pretty grimy. Pulling it out of a mud puddle.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: squidd on February 23, 2020, 05:51:27 AM
Always let someone know where you are going and be careful what you kick!

Low percentage of run-ins with gators, but it does happen.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-ne-gator-bite-victim-interview-20191113-kmjirrjhmfbdnoy56otp5vsy34-story.html

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-alligator-woman-bitten-1458030

Should have mentioned, I used a bike once last year and besides not getting in shape to ride, the trail was rough and sugar sand was deep.  Would use a bike if the trail was a little smoother and bike had a softer seat :blob10:
This is a good post and articles, this is the post that people from florida need to post each time someone ask information about hunting Florida PUBLIC land. It could be a changeing factor for some people to save there money for a guided hunt on private land instead of a public land hunt. Beside it may be a better hunt for most, because public land is way over crowded. It wouldn't have changed my mind because I couldn't have afforded a privite hunt at the time anyway. But when you don't grow up with gators and snakes in the back yard you think about them differently. Thanks for shareing, and sasquatch1 sorry for getting off topic.