OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Spur Gauge/Measurement Tool?  (Read 14050 times)

Offline husker

Spur Gauge/Measurement Tool?
« on: April 26, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »
Is anyone familiar with a spur gauge tool made by "True Form"?  I was watching Heartland Bowhunter and there was an ad for this.  Looked like a pretty neat little tool for measuring spurs.  However, I can't seem to find anything on the innerwebs related to it.   Has anyone heard of this or is currently using? 

Offline Nathan_Wiles

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Spur Gauge/Measurement Tool?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:21:52 PM »
Not sure if this is it or not but...
https://www.landgea.com/gobbler-gauge-orange?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2IrmBRCJARIsAJZDdxBLOu4PxiLVI7Qoma79jmukIkFe9wvmtynpscFK1GcxsBcRb2Q4lZAaAiVdEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »
Never saw or heard of one  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:09:10 PM »
kindof cool, but I just use a caliper

Offline Nathan_Wiles

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 02:31:06 PM »
Personally I "prefer" to eyeball these type of things so to leave plenty of room for embellished story telling later,

Offline husker

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 02:32:39 PM »
Not sure if this is it or not but...
https://www.landgea.com/gobbler-gauge-orange?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2IrmBRCJARIsAJZDdxBLOu4PxiLVI7Qoma79jmukIkFe9wvmtynpscFK1GcxsBcRb2Q4lZAaAiVdEALw_wcB

Thanks!  Yes, I found that one, but the one I saw in the ad was more like a small flat metal ruler shaped a little like a spur.  Looked kind of neat.  Shoot...maybe I didn't get the brand name right.   

Offline husker

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »
Personally I "prefer" to eyeball these type of things so to leave plenty of room for embellished story telling later,

That's true!!   :you_rock: ;D

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »

LOL! This works too!

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:41:31 AM »

Same here. It makes my account of the events more entertaining down the road, after all nobody enjoys a boring story.....
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 07:00:57 AM »
I've got a couple in my garage, they are called tape measures.  Guesstamation works too for the TALL tales.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 07:53:40 AM »
Someone came up with a clever idea,....that is a total waste of time.  Don't waste your money on one of those. That contraption will not measure spurs accurately at all.  It only measures the straight-line distance from the leg to the tip,...and that is not how a spur is measured. 

Spurs are measured along the outside curve of the spur from a point parallel to the center base of the spur where the curve meets the base at that point, along the curve, to the tip.  I have seen inch and a half spurs that measured with that tool would be an inch or less. 

Offline limbhanger777

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 08:30:38 AM »
Someone came up with a clever idea,....that is a total waste of time.  Don't waste your money on one of those. That contraption will not measure spurs accurately at all.  It only measures the straight-line distance from the leg to the tip,...and that is not how a spur is measured. 

Spurs are measured along the outside curve of the spur from a point parallel to the center base of the spur where the curve meets the base at that point, along the curve, to the tip.  I have seen inch and a half spurs that measured with that tool would be an inch or less.

Very true, I hadn't even thought of that. You can get a caliper for fairly cheap from amazon, and avoid that issue.

Offline Nathan_Wiles

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 09:00:50 AM »
Eyeball Method:
Nearly 21#'s almost 11" beard and spurs were close to an inch. He gobbled in the tree, flew down, gobbled some more. Strutted around for a few minutes and I finally got an open shot, boom! Shot him at about 25yds. and he flapped twice. Me and Spur are Back at the truck before the leftover coffee got cold. Perfect! We'd been trying to get one killed together for awhile and we got to do it on a kind of one shot deal on that particular property. My biggest weight and longest bearded Turkey ever.

More precise measuring method:
20 pounds & 14 ounces, beard was 10 & 7/8ths inches right leg spur was 3/4" left leg spur was 7/8"...gobbled on the roost 3x gobbled on the ground 2x, fanned and strutted 1x, I shot him at 23.5 yards.

Good storytelling leaves room for imagination. All this precision messes up the story with definitive proof.

I realize that some "storytellers" leave the realm possibility and abandon all reason, we call them liars over here in South Carolina. Y'all know em when you hear em.

Husker,
The only thing I found was tool company in the UK by that name and several tools for trimming and sharpening spurs on fighting roosters.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »

Very true, I hadn't even thought of that. You can get a caliper for fairly cheap from amazon, and avoid that issue.

I am not familiar with all types of calipers, I suppose,...but the one's I am familiar with measure straight-line distance.  The measuring instrument used would have to take into account the curve of the spur. 

I am always surprised at how many turkey hunters there are that do not know how to measure spurs correctly.  Many just measure straight-line distance from base to tip,...and end up losing points when scoring their birds.  Measuring along the curve (correct way) can often add an eighth of an inch (sometimes more!) to the spur length.  When you take into account that the spurs are multiplied by 10 in the scoring system, an incorrect measurement of 1/8" on each spur will cost you 2.5" on a gobbler's total score.

That problem is compounded by the fact that what is considered to be the "base" of the spur is often somewhat of a guess because of the way spurs grow out of the leg and the build-up of scale at the base.  All in all, spur measuring is not in any way and exact science,...which makes me wonder why Dave Harbour (the scoring system originator) ever decided to make the spurs worth so much in the scoring system when that measurement is, at least in part, subjective. 

Offline snapper1982

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 09:09:21 AM »

well said buddy!