OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spur Gauge/Measurement Tool?

Started by husker, April 26, 2019, 01:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Quote from: Terry on February 26, 2020, 04:00:39 PM
I must be a fool. I bought one. I thought it would be useful for the pictures we take for our team contest...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

X2 just bought the same one for the same purpose.

Tail Feathers

I'm in the camp of eyeball it and guesstimate large. :TooFunny:

Or you can carry a cheap plastic tape measure.  I keep one in the truck, one in my tackle box and one in my deer hunting bag (because we have a minimum antler spread law).  Weighs about an ounce.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

guesswho

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 26, 2020, 10:42:20 PM

Or you can carry a cheap plastic tape measure.  I keep one in the truck, one in my tackle box and one in my deer hunting bag (because we have a minimum antler spread law).  Weighs about an ounce.
Ok, explain to me how that deer bag tape helps with the minimum antler spread law?  ;D.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on February 26, 2020, 10:57:29 PM

Ok, explain to me how that deer bag tape helps with the minimum antler spread law?  ;D.

Pretty obvious,...if the one you shoot isn't wide enough after you measure him with the tape, you just throw him back.  Do I have to explain EVERYTHING to you....?

Turkeyman

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 01, 2019, 02:52:17 PM
For me, personally, I would like to measure spurs from the tip to the back of the leg.  If I could do that, I would have a bunch of gobblers with record-book spurs.  Alas, nobody seems to want to allow me to do that...

Funny you mention that. I saw a posted spur picture some time ago whereas that's exactly what the guy did! His ~1 1/4" spurs ended up being over 2".

Tail Feathers

Quote from: guesswho on February 26, 2020, 10:57:29 PM

It tells me whether I should go to camp and show it off or if I should get straight to the house and get him quartered up and in the ice chest pronto! :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dtrkyman

How I measure spurs.

under and inch, meh 2 yr old

1 1/8ish to 1 1/4 nice.

1 1/4 plus, daaang!

WaltHooksKing

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 27, 2020, 09:32:43 PM
How I measure spurs.

under and inch, meh 2 yr old

1 1/8ish to 1 1/4 nice.

1 1/4 plus, daaang!

Hahaha that's right!!

cuppednlocked

This keeps showing up in my FB ad feed:

https://thebeardedbuck.com/product/true-form-spur-gauge/?fbclid=IwAR2GIQ5e60S5DIs6VDqMFmYjBwh5xZzPfog-niuFF6YWiOXb-7jlU9TP68k

I'm a sucker for most anything turkey but this is a product I see no reason to purchase.  I carry a 12" section of fabric tape in my vest to take measurements.

GobbleNut

Well admittedly that product is better than the first one we discussed here, but good luck to the company in finding enough suc----,..err, I mean "buyers" to recover the cost of developing and marketing it. 

If anybody is going to pay $15 bucks for that, well, I've got a bunch of "turkey vest rocks" that you guys need.  Put one in your vest and it will help balance you out while hunting so you don't fall over.  Everybody needs at least two of 'em.  Only $18.95 for a pair!  Get 'em while the supply lasts!  Limited quantities available. (Plus $5.99 for shipping, of course....)

Nathan_Wiles

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2020, 07:56:09 AM
Well admittedly that product is better than the first one we discussed here, but good luck to the company in finding enough suc----,..err, I mean "buyers" to recover the cost of developing and marketing it. 

If anybody is going to pay $15 bucks for that, well, I've got a bunch of "turkey vest rocks" that you guys need.  Put one in your vest and it will help balance you out while hunting so you don't fall over.  Everybody needs at least two of 'em.  Only $18.95 for a pair!  Get 'em while the supply lasts!  Limited quantities available. (Plus $5.99 for shipping, of course....)
An excellent solution for a problem I didnt know I had. I can see now that struggling with an unbalanced Turkey vest all day has really held me back.
Do you offer any custom choices? I dont want run of the mill vest balance rocks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on February 28, 2020, 08:49:25 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2020, 07:56:09 AM

An excellent solution for a problem I didnt know I had. I can see now that struggling with an unbalanced Turkey vest all day has really held me back.
Do you offer any custom choices? I dont want run of the mill vest balance rocks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am glad I can help out.  My guess is that you have not called in a few gobblers in your lifetime.  My vest rocks will without question solve that problem for everybody!  No more gobblers that don't come running right in!  Kill every gobbler you call to!  In fact, vest rocks make-em come so close you can just use one of my rocks to kill'em!  Save on ammo!

And yes, my vest rocks come in all colors, shapes, and sizes!  Need a pair of ten-pounders for each side of your vest,...I got 'em!  I garronteee those'll hold you down in the stiffest of winds,...and as an added bonus, you can tie one of them to your scale to make that OG contest gobbler ten pounds heavier!

Have another hunter come in on your set-up?  Use a couple of my five-pounders to chunk at 'em when they get close enough!  Once your reputation spreads as being a vest rock customer, you'll have the woods to yourself,...ALWAYS!  No more unwanted competition,...EVER! 

Applications for my vest rocks are endless!  Order yours now! This is my special introductory offer.  Demand is TREE-MENDOUS so the price will be going up soon. 

(Patent Pending)

Dtrkyman

I carry as little as possible in my vest, and would definitely not buy a tool to measure spurs, if I measure a spur it will be back at camp or somewhere I clean my bird.

Ultimately it is not that important, do I prefer killing long spurred birds, YES, do I care if I kill all 2 yr old birds this spring, NO.   

davisd9

Do not need one of them things as a tape measure works just fine.  Any way I need to go clean my 5 turkey guns, set up 4 vests, and decide which strikers pair up best with my 10 new pots.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer