OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spur Gauge/Measurement Tool?

Started by husker, April 26, 2019, 01:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublelung

Folks will come up with anything to separate a fool from his money.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 30, 2019, 07:53:40 AM
Spurs are measured along the outside curve of the spur from a point parallel to the center base of the spur where the curve meets the base at that point, along the curve, to the tip.

Where to start the measurement is the most ambiguous part of the various descriptions I've seen.  The NWTF used to show a picture like this on their website

but now they show this

I've always done it like the bottom picture, but squishing down that cuticle  ;D.  Which one is correct?

guesswho

I have seen inch and a half spurs that measured with that tool would be an inch or less.
A good example.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on April 30, 2019, 07:39:01 PM
I have seen inch and a half spurs that measured with that tool would be an inch or less.
A good example.

Holy curve.....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

catman529

I don't think it matters how you measure a spur unless you're trying to get into the record books. I measure along the curve like it says in the book, but I don't care how anyone else measures theirs. It's just a spur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GobbleNut

Quote from: catman529 on May 01, 2019, 01:16:51 PM
I don't think it matters how you measure a spur unless you're trying to get into the record books. I measure along the curve like it says in the book, but I don't care how anyone else measures theirs. It's just a spur

Of course, you are correct, catman.  It is just a spur,...beards are just beards,...and turkeys are just turkeys.  As hunters, we could all save ourselves a lot of time and trouble by just running down to the local human feedlot and buying a packaged, ready-to-eat gobbler.  The fact is that we, as hunters, are inclined to establish standards by which we quantify our hunts and the game we harvest.  It is just human nature.  It is not good or bad in most cases,...it is just the way we are. 

Humans have this annoying habit of wanting to compare our accomplishments with the accomplishments of others in pretty much every aspect of life.  I suppose if we are going to do that, we should all accept the same systems of measuring those accomplishments. 

For me, personally, I would like to measure spurs from the tip to the back of the leg.  If I could do that, I would have a bunch of gobblers with record-book spurs.  Alas, nobody seems to want to allow me to do that...   :angel9: ;D :toothy12: :newmascot:

snapper1982

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 01, 2019, 02:52:17 PM
Quote from: catman529 on May 01, 2019, 01:16:51 PM

Of course, you are correct, catman.  It is just a spur,...beards are just beards,...and turkeys are just turkeys.  As hunters, we could all save ourselves a lot of time and trouble by just running down to the local human feedlot and buying a packaged, ready-to-eat gobbler.  The fact is that we, as hunters, are inclined to establish standards by which we quantify our hunts and the game we harvest.  It is just human nature.  It is not good or bad in most cases,...it is just the way we are. 

Humans have this annoying habit of wanting to compare our accomplishments with the accomplishments of others in pretty much every aspect of life.  I suppose if we are going to do that, we should all accept the same systems of measuring those accomplishments. 

For me, personally, I would like to measure spurs from the tip to the back of the leg.  If I could do that, I would have a bunch of gobblers with record-book spurs.  Alas, nobody seems to want to allow me to do that...   :angel9: ;D :toothy12: :newmascot:
gobblenut, I am ok with you doing it that way buddy. probably has a bit to do with us beingon the same team though.

THattaway

Just do what most others do. Say they are 1.5" and roll with it.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Terry

I must be a fool. I bought one. I thought it would be useful for the pictures we take for our team contest...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

A good turkey hunting buddy has a set of spurs, made into a necklace, which are very unique. They curve around into an arc. I've never seen any spurs with that much curvature. If measured "straight line" from the leg they'd be no more than 7/8" to 1". When measured along the outside curvature from eruption on the leg they're 1 1/2".

Boykin Hollow

Interesting gadget to take your $$$.  I will use my free tape measure from Harbor Freight !!!!

GobbleNut

Quote from: Terry on February 26, 2020, 04:00:39 PM
I must be a fool. I bought one. I thought it would be useful for the pictures we take for our team contest...

The tool you show in the picture is not the same gadget that the commentary is about.  The device you show would work, assuming it is flexible enough to follow the curve on all spurs...but then again, it looks like nothing more than a really short measuring tape with a little handle on it.  Nothing wrong with having that,...as long as you didn't pay much for it!  (add smiley face here)

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

howl

Try a tree limb. Either it'll hang or it won't.