OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If turkeys didn’t gobble would you hunt them?

Started by Planner, March 14, 2019, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: bghunter777 on March 14, 2019, 02:31:54 PM
Yes, but probably with not nearly as much passion / additction

My thought as well
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

davisd9

Yes, that spit and drum drives me just as crazy as a gobble.  Sometimes I prefer they do not gobble so a nosy hen or hunter would stick to what they are up to.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy

I would, but wouldn't be nearly as excited about it. To be honest if I was serious about maximizing my time/kill ratio I wouldn't go into the woods till 9:00 or so. But I have to hear that morning serenade.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Mossyguy

Out of the 3 I shot last year only one gobbled...the other two showed up on their own. It almost felt like I was deer hunting them. I knew turkeys were in the area but they never made a sound. It just wasn't as exciting to me.

Greg Massey

I would because in the younger days of my turkey hunting , we were lucky to hear couple gobblers all season , so yes i would ... for years i hunted deer without knowing they made all these sounds until Knight Hale came out with the first grunt call...lol    :TooFunny:

Clydetaylor1

If they never gobbled,probably not. Have killed a few I never heard, they just snuck in. Nothing like hearing that gobble!!!!!!!

Takeaim1st

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 14, 2019, 03:11:08 PM
I would because in the younger days of my turkey hunting , we were lucky to hear couple gobblers all season , so yes i would ... for years i hunted deer without knowing they made all these sounds until Knight Hale came out with the first grunt call...lol    :TooFunny:

Man, I can identify with that - being lucky to hear a couple gobbles in a whole season  . I climbed Clinch mountain so many mornings in hopes of hearing one. That is one steep long haul before daylight. On top of the physical challenge,  if you did hear one it would be a couple ridges down the mountain and it just about took a Billy goat to get around the heads of those hollows to close the distance some. Been too much water under the bridge for me to do that nowadays. I don't  believe that even back then I would have hunted Old Tom if I couldn't  have heard Him sound off once in a while.

ssramage

I quit turkey hunting a few years back. Partly because of family/career, partly because I moved to an area where the turkeys just don't gobble much. My club consists of big cutovers, planted pine flats, and places where turkeys can see for a mile. They don't need to gobble... I finally said "screw it" and I'm going to hunt them how they want to be hunted.

Takeaim1st

Quote from: davisd9 on March 14, 2019, 02:47:30 PM
Yes, that spit and drum drives me just as crazy as a gobble.  Sometimes I prefer they do not gobble so a nosy hen or hunter would stick to what they are up to.
Oh, How I would love to be able to hear the spit and drum. Only heard it one time in my entire career,  the bird was behind me and at arms length. You fellows hat can hear that we'll are very blessed.

catman529

I would still hunt them but it sure wouldnt be as exciting listening to the woods wake up and not hearing anything on roost. It would be like fall hunting, spot and stalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

blake_08

I don't think i would. It'd be just about like deer hunting, and if i didn't like eating deer meat so much i wouldn't hunt them either. But, they do gobble so here i am  :fud: :OGani:

Muzzy61

I think so, but not if the fish were biting....
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

LaLongbeard

No. Deer don't gobble either that's why I stopped hunting them. Turkeys don't gobble everyday but there's at least a chance they will.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LRD

I definitely wouldn't hunt them as much.  I struggle every year between Spring time fishing and turkey hunting.  The thing that I do now is hunt in the morning and fish in the afternoons.  If they didn't gobble, fishing would definitely be the thing especially if they were biting good.

Thankfully they do gobble which is what gets me excited and gobbling to the gun is always my goal.

cwb04

Probably not.  Can't hear them drumming, so what would be the point???  Something about the gobble that gets me!  If you've never hunted a mountain eastern in MO or AR (and probably other states like GA, NC and WV to name a few) then IMO you've not experienced what I am talking about.  They just sound different - almost like a MS gobbler with a megaphone!