OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If turkeys didn’t gobble would you hunt them?

Started by Planner, March 14, 2019, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRG3

No...Since I depend on the peck order to lure in a gobbler, there would be no way that another tom would know that my gobbles were challenging his position.

GobbleNut

fmf

I would have given it a try but surely wouldn't have stuck with it

compton30

The almighty gobble!

Would I hunt them? Let's put it this way, I would take a shot at one if it walked past my stand in archery season, which is something I never do now. But I don't consider that to be hunting turkeys. So no, I would not.

SteelerFan

Have to admit, I'm addicted to the gobble. Killing a gobbling bird is always a thrill. Birds that sneak in silent are just plain rude - which is why I shoot them, too!  ;D

Knowing how I get now when I don't hear gobbling for days, I'm pretty sure I would just lose interest eventually...

Harty

As much as I would miss the Gobbling I would continue to hunt them. Late season birds where I hunt are very quiet, but there's still the spitten n' drummen to listen for. Plus that white baseball head bobbin through the woods and the crimson  red wattle sure does set the heart a pounding. When they appear in full strut is pretty cool.I like watching and listening to the hens , welcoming the dawn of a new day, spring peepers, ducks a quacken,etc. it's all part of what makes spring turkey hunting special

wvmntnhick

Simply put, no. Heck, if they're not talking, I just go home anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greencop01

I think I still would but with less passion. It just wouldn't be the same. And it would make them a lot more tougher to hunt. Not hearing them , where do you look for them coming in, a 360 degree area of approach, a lot tougher hunt. But the gobble makes your heart speed up, breathe harder, makes' you hunt turkeys not because you want to but because you have to.' My  :z-twocents: worth.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Herb McClure

Fellow, turkey hunters, as an old turkey man myself, who has hunted gobblers for over sixty years; with the lack of hearing gone and cannot hear a gobble; much over one hundred yards. I hunted from 1959 to 1965 before I got hearing-aids, without hearing a gobble at any time; during that time frame. However, in those early years, I watched an old gobbler that was strutting back and forth, upon a huge chestnut log, where he was displaying for his lady friends. Watching him displaying, created a passion within me, to want to see and watch other gobblers displaying, which has lasted all my years. Watching a gobbler displaying. does to me, what hearing a gobble does to most others. I have never got enough of watching them through all my years.

Knik

There's enough days now to make it frustrating, if they weren't vocal at all it would not be Turkey hunting in my way of thinking.  When I started hunting them all I wanted to do was "kill" a Turkey, I learned to find the shorter lush green corner of a field that had the gobbler droppings and just sit on it. Usually around noon a gobbler would show and come strutting up to the decoys, basically deer hunting them. Only took one good cat and mouse game through the ridges with a vocal bird to show me what Turkey hunting was all about. Nope, wouldn't hunt them if they didn't gobble.

tha bugman

yes, but it would definitely take something out of it.... :gobble:

J.D. Shellnut

I probably would at first but not for very long though. The ones I've killed that come in silent I feel as if they have cheated me! lol
60% of the time it works every time!

tt_johnsclist

Probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Divenut2

Any chance to hunt and be in the woods is a gift as far as I'm concerned. Gobbling or No Gobbling makes no difference to me. I'll be out there regardless! :fud:
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.