OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gooserbat Turkey Hunting Trivia Giveaway

Started by Gooserbat, March 06, 2019, 01:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

We have a winner. Congratulations #37, Tomstopper

If you find an old shotgun and there is a place on the forearm where it appears to be stained either red or blue,that's where some old-timer sanded and chalked a place to play his scratch box while he had his gun rested on his knee in position to shoot. 

Now post up your trivia and we'll do like always.  Number generator for the corresponding reply number.  Ends at a random time Friday. 

Winner gets a 3 pack of diaphragm calls.  Let's do this years new addition ( Killer Deuce) and their pick for the other two.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

dejake

I don't know if it's trivia, but my dad's first turkey gun was an LC Smith 16 guage double barrel.  Killed lots of birds with it.

old turk

my dads old shotgun with stenciled turkey heads on stock for each one he got,still have gun.he had 22 stencil heads

Syn

According to some odd website, you can tell the gender of the turkey by looking at the poop it left behind. "J" shaped is a male and "spiral" shaped is female.

Syn

Chordeiles

Here's a bit of trivia from Mr. Ben Franklin:

"For my own part, I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country; he is a bird of bad moral character; he does not get his living honestly...like those among men who live by sharping and robbing...he is generally poor, and often very lousy. Besides, he is a rank coward; the little king-bird, not bigger than a sparrow, attacks him boldly and drives him out of the district...For in truth, the turkey is in comparison a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America. Eagles have been found in all countries, but the turkey was peculiar to ours..."

I know it's not about turkey hunting, but it has always been one of my favorite quotes.

bchilde

The average life span of a wild turkey is 3-4  years old.

valerio024

An adult turkey has approximately 3500 feathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pig

A hen and her poults leave the nest 12 to 24 hours after  all the poults hatch.

Cut N Run

A turkey's vision is 3 times greater than a human's and their field of view is 270 degrees.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

strutstopper

A dead hen, even if she has a beard, will never raise poults.

blake_08

Turkey poults can fly to roost at about 10 days of age. Turkey adults can fly up to about 55 mph. Thanks for the opportunity gooserbat

ddturkeyhunter

Typically a turkey beard grows 4-5 inches per year. But a beard is not a true gage for age, like in MN and upper states with snow and ices. Beards can freeze to limb or branches and break off. Also dragging on snow or ground can break off ends.

Spitten and drummen

If in the woods and needing a turkey call in a pinch , you can cut a piece of river cane , hollow it out and make some decent yelps and clucks. Good enough to kill a bird. Ask me how I know.????
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

buzzardroost

You can never call a turkey downhill LOL

uarobert

When it comes to turkeys, almost nothing is "trivial." I want to know it all!