turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Elk rifle

Started by wvmntnhick, February 20, 2019, 04:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrinny

I was recently in the same position of picking a rifle. I already have a Remington 7600 in 30-06 that is a great carry gun or still hunting gun. I picked the browning x bolt hells canyon speed in 7mm rem mag. I was leaning towards the 300 mag but figured it would be used for deer far more than elk or bigger. I topped it with a Burris Veracity 3-15x50 and will get it out once the weather warms up to search through some ammo to see what it likes. I am sure any of your choices will serve you well- this rifle felt the best to me - and the caliber was more of a deer rifle with the possibility of something like elk down the road

Zeke6685

I have a Browning x bolt long range hunter in .300 win mag. I love it, and it is pretty similar to the hells canyon speed except for having a little heavier barrel. The thing shoots .75" groups with hornday factory ammo, and the muzzle brake makes it very comfortable to shoot from the bench. The Tikkas are great guns as well but you would not be disappointed with the Browning.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Zeke6685 on February 20, 2019, 06:35:36 PM
I have a Browning x bolt long range hunter in .300 win mag. I love it, and it is pretty similar to the hells canyon speed except for having a little heavier barrel. The thing shoots .75" groups with hornday factory ammo, and the muzzle brake makes it very comfortable to shoot from the bench. The Tikkas are great guns as well but you would not be disappointed with the Browning.
I've handled them both extensively. Even shot the browning. My buddy owns one. It's a great shooter. Muzzle brake is nice but whatever I get will be running it suppressed locally. The brake will never be used except on the bench occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerpoo22

I have a Accuamrk .338-378 I got for a steal years ago Incase I ever wanted to go out west for elk

Tom Foolery

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 20, 2019, 05:29:14 PM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 20, 2019, 05:22:44 PM

From what you listed I'd go T3 in 7 Rem mag.

T3 in 708 is where I'd lean

A guy on the 24hourcampfire that goes by Pharmseller has stacked the elk with T3's in 708 and 7RM.
Have a 7-08 already that my father gave me when I was about 14 or so. It's killed a pile of deer. It actually came to CO with me last year as my BUG.

Sounds like you just want a new gun.  :D.  I don't blame you though.

The only magnum I still shoot is my 7wsm with the 162 amax. It's fast and flat.

I'm only a whitetail hunter so no magnums for me in the field. 

Bowguy

Another issue to consider is weight. No gun, item, whatever is perfect for everything. If you had to carry the gun all day lighter might be a little bit better. But when you need it is it better than? Often not.
All fall I carry a Sako .300 win mag.  Mostly up a farm road to a stand. From there I'm carrying nothing. The Sako is left out only because of price but it's prob the most or surely one of the most accurate guns commonly available from the factory. A pleasure to shoot. It offers a 5 shot guarantee instead of most companies 3. The trigger is good too. Better than the rest mentioned imo.
If I had to carry it real far I might opt for my model 70 stainless. It's got a synthetic stock n it's light. In .300 win mag which I have as well, it's stout to say the least. Still may be a great gun for that job though right? Now consider you say most hunts will be for deer, is weight an issue there? Prob not. Say a horse or truck carried the gun most time out west. Again maybe weight doesn't matter. Shooting it year after year if it was overly light may not make it a fav gun in calibers mentioned.
In that case the .270 already mentioned (great caliber btw) even though it's something you don't want may be the right compromise. You won't need to buy extra dies, heads, powder either.
What I'm hearing here is lots of guys stating what they prefer and that's good you wanted opinion. It's really got to be something you personally decide is best in your situation with all opinions considered.
If I can say one thing also that personally drives me nuts. The 30/06 thing mentioned. A 30/06 is a good caliber. Good at lots of stuff, it's readily available too. Not the best at anything though.  No one is shooting it in 55 grain nor 220. Those calibers are useless for what you say. We're talking head weight depending on situation n caliber imo best case maybe 165, (least that's what I'd use) a little lighter w some calibers mentioned but even w a .270 it's not crazy variable from mid range, maybe 140 or Don suggests he likes 130. Guess what I'm getting at is the very lightest or heaviest bullet in 30-06 is not a consideration. Leave that part out we're back to the same bullet range as the rest. 
Being gun poor sucks, I'd keep em all and get a few more to suit the situation!!

Swather

I've been surprised to see a number of people in elk country hunting them with a 25-06.

The closer you get to big city gunshops and away from the wildlife, the bigger the rifle calibers get.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Swather on February 20, 2019, 07:27:59 PM
I've been surprised to see a number of people in elk country hunting them with a 25-06.

The closer you get to big city gunshops and away from the wildlife, the bigger the rifle calibers get.
25-06 will forever be my favorite deer cartridge. I've only ever had one deer run from it and shamefully, it was right after I'd gotten done bragging it up. I'm always blown away by the guys that use them for elk. Not uncommon whatsoever. If it weren't for only getting to go once in a blue moon, I'd no doubt carry one myself.

saverx

Tikka is a good gun for non custom. Good barrel crown and trigger. If you reload and neck size only it will shoot. The T3 lite will definitely hurt your shoulder in a mag. caliber. I have an 06 and had to get a limbsaver pad in order to tame it. They may come with better recoil pads now. Mine is several years old.

Tom Foolery

Pick a good bullet and none of it matters. 

In your situation I'd pick the chambering I wanted in the rifle that best suited me and I'd shoot the whizz out of it. 

No elk will ever know the difference when hit where it's supposed to be with a quality bullet.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: saverx on February 20, 2019, 07:43:11 PM
Tikka is a good gun for non custom. Good barrel crown and trigger. If you reload and neck size only it will shoot. The T3 lite will definitely hurt your shoulder in a mag. caliber. I have an 06 and had to get a limbsaver pad in order to tame it. They may come with better recoil pads now. Mine is several years old.
Regardless what it comes with, it's getting a limb saver and threaded for a suppressor and matching removable brake. I know it's going to kick. Another reason why I've considered the Browning heavily. But, everyone leans toward the tikkas. Haven't heard a bad word about them.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 20, 2019, 07:43:52 PM
Pick a good bullet and none of it matters. 

In your situation I'd pick the chambering I wanted in the rifle that best suited me and I'd shoot the whizz out of it. 

No elk will ever know the difference when hit where it's supposed to be with a quality bullet.
Got that right. While I've never killed an elk, I've killed a pile of deer over the years with everything from 22 Hornet to 338 win mag. Truth be told, as much as I love the 270, I'm honestly tempted to just get a 270 wsm and say heck with the rest. 140-150 grain Nosler AccuBond would do the trick. As would a 130 grain Barnes. Just keep telling myself that "bigger is better" and the longer I tell myself that, the less I believe it.

Tom Foolery

A friend shoots a 270wsm and loves it.   I can't warm up to a 270 anything but guys love them. 

The accubond is excellent as is the Barnes. 

I shoot a lot of Barnes in 22 and 24 cal for deer.  They make big guns out of little guns. 

A 140 accubond or 150 long range accubond from the 270wsm would be a smacker.  As would a 130-140 Barnes.  The Barnes LRX opens at a lower velocity of longer range is a possibility. 

I shoot a lot at 400-600 and some at 800. I found the less recoil I have the more I can shoot and the better shot I am.  My 223 with the 68gr match and my 243 with the 105 match get the bulk of th long range work. 

30/06 and 7wsm visit the range some but not like the others. 

Hell, I just hope you kill and elk, that'd be cool!

Gobbler2577

From your list I would go with the T3 in 300 win mag.  Never been a fan of the short mags.  That being said, since you reload I would suggest .280AI.  If I were buying/building another that's what it would be.  Not a lot of overkill for whitetails and more than adequate for elk.  Plus an Ackley-ized cartridge just looks cool.  I've hunted with a 257 AI for years and honestly as good as it shoots I wouldn't have a problem using it on elk out to 400 with the right bullet.   

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 20, 2019, 08:01:59 PM
A friend shoots a 270wsm and loves it.   I can't warm up to a 270 anything but guys love them. 

The accubond is excellent as is the Barnes. 

I shoot a lot of Barnes in 22 and 24 cal for deer.  They make big guns out of little guns. 

A 140 accubond or 150 long range accubond from the 270wsm would be a smacker.  As would a 130-140 Barnes.  The Barnes LRX opens at a lower velocity of longer range is a possibility. 

I shoot a lot at 400-600 and some at 800. I found the less recoil I have the more I can shoot and the better shot I am.  My 223 with the 68gr match and my 243 with the 105 match get the bulk of th long range work. 

30/06 and 7wsm visit the range some but not like the others. 

Hell, I just hope you kill and elk, that'd be cool!
Me too. Going to NM if it works out this fall for cow elk. I'll be taking my 7STW because that trip will require less walking. 1.5" groups at 300 yards are not uncommon and 2.5" at 500 is pretty regular. But, it's a custom rig so it should shoot well. Have a 6x284 to play with. 28" Schneider barrel. It should do just fine until the barrel goes south. But, none of these are what I want to rely on for the bulk of my hunting. The 6x284 is for the wife and girls. If that STW was just a bit lighter, I'd not be having this conversation.