turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Elk rifle

Started by wvmntnhick, February 20, 2019, 04:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminoleturkey

I have been hunting for years with a 300 win mag and 7mm mag for a deer and elk .last few year I have been playing with 6.5 mm creed more and after 3 kills with it I'm going back to my trusty old 300 win mag .i just don't care for tracking animals any longer .if you can find a T/C venture in 300 wing mag get you some Hornady 165gr GMX superformance ammo and really good scope .i like my tikka rifles but this T/C shoots tighter groups with factory ammo and has less recoil.i constantly get 1/2 groups with this rifle and ammo combo and so far with over 30 animals down one has made it more that 50 yards .most have been bang flops .the 300 win mag is the perfect round for elk and deer .all three deer with 6.5mm creedmoor ran a good ways with only one leaving a decent bloodtrail.all three were with 143gr eld x bullets .i will save the creedmoor for coyotes

Gen.27:3

300 wsm, you will love the short bolt throw. I am also a Browning fan, so I would go with the xbolt, or find a used older Abolt
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 24, 2019, 08:19:54 PM
I wanna know how this thread got 74 posts about elk guns without any pictures of dead elk

Every good thread needs pictures

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Here are two, the first one was taken with an 06 and the other one with a 300RUM

wvmntnhick

Beautiful elk fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomfoolery

I own a T3 lite in .308. The smoothest shooting rifle i have ever owned. Its light, recoil is un noticeable. Every animal I've shot with it ive watched die through my scope. I have a 270 and .300wm in remington and they both kick more than my .308. The .300 is a mule. Not to mention much heavier to pack up and down mountains on an elk hunt. Give me something light and plenty of knock down and thats my choice for packing through the hills. But if you're dead set on choices I would definitely go T3 lite in .300 Win mag

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Tomfoolery on February 26, 2019, 05:44:47 PM
I own a T3 lite in .308. The smoothest shooting rifle i have ever owned. Its light, recoil is un noticeable. Every animal I've shot with it ive watched die through my scope. I have a 270 and .300wm in remington and they both kick more than my .308. The .300 is a mule. Not to mention much heavier to pack up and down mountains on an elk hunt. Give me something light and plenty of knock down and thats my choice for packing through the hills. But if you're dead set on choices I would definitely go T3 lite in .300 Win mag
Ended up going with the Browning X-Bolt HC Speed in 300 WSM. It's already on layaway at the shop. The T3 is a touch lighter but the Browning shouldered better for me. With a set of Talley LW rings and an appropriate scope, it'll keep the weight down to a very trim rifle compared to what I typically pack around. Gonna go with a leupold vx2 and a CDS dial once I get the right load figured out. Gonna try 180 grain Hornady SST's for deer and the same weight IB's for elk. I'm thinking it'll be the last rifle I ever buy. Kinda growing out of the gun craze thee days. Never thought it'd happen but it has. Much more important things in my life right now. Only other guns I'd like is a 3.5" semi-auto shotgun and a custom made BP long rifle. I've found the BP gun if it's still available when my rifle is picked up.

Zeke6685

Either gun would have been a great choice, but I agree with you about the way the  Browning shoulders. Mine fits me better and shoulders better than any rifle I have ever shot.

POk3s

Dang. Sorry I missed this one! I love some good elk talk, especially on a turkey forum! I see you already made up your mind and I'm sure it's a going to be a great gun. If it seemed to have fit you the best that's all that matters! I have the t3 stainless lite in 300 win mag and I'm in love with it. I can abuse it and it stays true! Sub moa accuracy. It's now killed 4 elk and only one has left where it was hit. That bull went about 40 yards.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: POk3s on March 07, 2019, 10:29:00 PM
Dang. Sorry I missed this one! I love some good elk talk, especially on a turkey forum! I see you already made up your mind and I'm sure it's a going to be a great gun. If it seemed to have fit you the best that's all that matters! I have the t3 stainless lite in 300 win mag and I'm in love with it. I can abuse it and it stays true! Sub moa accuracy. It's now killed 4 elk and only one has left where it was hit. That bull went about 40 yards.
Lots of guys like the T3 and I'm not discrediting it. Just happened to like the browning a touch more based on feel. And there's not enough difference in weight to get excited about so long as I don't go nuts and put some big, heavy scope on it. Just felt better in my hands and felt a bit more "solid" overall.