OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Elk rifle

Started by wvmntnhick, February 20, 2019, 04:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I'm on the fence a bit fellas. Again, I know it's a turkey site. But, season isn't here just yet and I've got a little time on my hands this evening. Been back and forth on a couple of guns and no clue what to choose. Whatever it is, it's going to become the gun I reach for for 90% of all my deer hunting as well. It's gonna sound a bit much for whitetail when I give the possible caliber options but so be it. I've bounced between guns for years and really just wanna barrow things down. I've sold off the majority of stuff I don't use enough to warrant keeping around recently. Basically down to a few guns that hold sentimental value, something easy recoiling for the wife and girls, and a couple custom rigs that I'll not get rid of because, we'll, they're just awesome shooters.

Now, the question at hand: "What do I get?"

Tikka T3 Lite
Tikka T3 laminate
Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed

Calibers in question:
7mm rem mag
300 win mag
300 wsm

Again, I know it doesn't require a cannon for deer and plenty of elk have been killed with 30-06 and 270. Believe me, it took a lot for me to not leave the 270 as an option but I just don't need another. Have my uncles old one and that's plenty for me. Gimme your thoughts and help me make this decision final. Won't really need it until 2021 but wanna get it and get comfortable with it before going back to Colorado. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Of what you listed I'd go Tikka T3 laminate in 300 wsm. Why, because stainless and laminate look good and the 300wsm is easy to get accuracy out of.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 20, 2019, 05:08:36 PM
Of what you listed I'd go Tikka T3 laminate in 300 wsm. Why, because stainless and laminate look good and the 300wsm is easy to get accuracy out of.
Ty sir. I agree it does look good. Only thing is, I'm having trouble finding the weight of the laminate. That's my only hang up on it.

zelmo1

I have owned all 3 and the recoil on all of them was noticeable. If elk is the top end, then that .270 is a great rifle. Out of the 3 calibers you mentioned, I am partial to the .300 win mag. If I ever go big magnum again, it will be in a rifle built for long range shooting. Not a lightweight. I paired down to a 6.5 creedmor and would not hesitate to shoot an elk or even a moose with it. The gun outperforms me, so I am the weak link. ???? You will be happy with all  of those choices . Just my  :z-twocents:

Tom Foolery

From what you listed I'd go T3 in 7 Rem mag.

T3 in 708 is where I'd lean

A guy on the 24hourcampfire that goes by Pharmseller has stacked the elk with T3's in 708 and 7RM.

Bowguy

I'd say the T3 in .300 Win Mag. The 7mm mag can eat barrel throats. Anything short n fat like a .300 short mag can have feed probs. The other issue against a .300 short is availability. If you're ok with those any caliber listed is suitable.
.300 win mag is my favorite caliber, by far my most commonly used rifles and I only hunt deer with em.
Let us know what you decide.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Bowguy on February 20, 2019, 05:26:31 PM
I'd say the T3 in .300 Win Mag. The 7mm mag can eat barrel throats. Anything short n fat like a .300 short mag can have feed probs. The other issue against a .300 short is availability. If you're ok with those any caliber listed is suitable.
.300 win mag is my favorite caliber, by far my most commonly used rifles and I only hunt deer with em.
Will do. Not so much concerned about availability. Once I've got the brass, I'm set. Reload everything.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 20, 2019, 05:22:44 PM

From what you listed I'd go T3 in 7 Rem mag.

T3 in 708 is where I'd lean

A guy on the 24hourcampfire that goes by Pharmseller has stacked the elk with T3's in 708 and 7RM.
Have a 7-08 already that my father gave me when I was about 14 or so. It's killed a pile of deer. It actually came to CO with me last year as my BUG.

Rapscallion Vermilion

What are all your thoughts on the 6.5 PRC? 

Bowguy

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 20, 2019, 05:28:10 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on February 20, 2019, 05:26:31 PM
Will do. Not so much concerned about availability. Once I've got the brass, I'm set. Reload everything.

I reload everything too. One of the best parts of rifles is working up a load

Dr Juice

I would select the model that best fits you when you shoulder it in 7mm Rem Mag. This caliber is plentiful for elk, its flat shooting, and one of the most available and economical in sporting goods stores. Best of luck.

SteelerFan

I recently had this same discussion with a buddy that was shopping...

If i was buying my new "go to" rifle, I'd spend some time with hands on comparison of "feel". Both the Tikka and Browning will be reliable. I'm a Browning fan, so the xbolt Hell's Canyon Speed gets my vote.

I would buy the Xbolt, and I would buy it in .30-06. (22" barrel, versatile bullet weight selection). I would put a Vortex 4x16 on it, and call it ready to hunt anything in North America (except big "eat you" bears).

I've killed 3 elk with a .270, so I'm probably biased towards non-magnum calibers.

:z-twocents:

davisd9

I am a 270 guy so I say Savage 116 .270 win with Barnes 130 gr TTSX. 

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Dr Juice on February 20, 2019, 05:50:55 PM
I would select the model that best fits you when you shoulder it in 7mm Rem Mag. This caliber is plentiful for elk, its flat shooting, and one of the most available and economical in sporting goods stores. Best of luck.
Right on. Sad part, both fit me well. I like the weight of the Tikka T3 Lite. But, prefer the looks of the browning. Unfortunately, the browning is a bit more money. If it weren't for thinning the herd and wanting to whittle it down to a couple useful rifles, I'd get both. Lol. Like ur opinion tho.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 20, 2019, 05:43:39 PM
What are all your thoughts on the 6.5 PRC?
Like most new(ish) cartridges, an answer to a question never asked.