News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A little situation *all opinions welcome*

Started by AC HAMMER, April 05, 2018, 11:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearhunter247

Quote from: Happy on April 06, 2018, 10:11:35 PM
Actions have consequences. You don't mess with a man's wife, kids or dogs--not necessarily in that order.
Couple good rules to live by there. More should follow it.
To the original poster I think you both could work out an agreement that makes you both happy and helps your turkey populating out.
As for shooting another man's dog... well I don't see much sense in killing a dog when the owner is the one that should be responsible.(not condoning shooting the owner either) Heck a lot of days my neghbors dogs greet me when I pull into my house. They aren't hurting anything and get along with my two just fine.   I would think most forward thinking coon hunters would secure permission from all the property owners that could be affected but maybe I am off base on that. Would be what I would do if I ran dogs anyways.
Happy I really think most people do try that but there's always someone around that doesn't want you on them. We (me anyway) try to stay off them at all cost I hunt WITH my dogs the range out 150-200 yards if the don't hit a track they come back to see which way I'm heading. But...if your hunting late an hit a coon (especially a bear track) that walked early no man in this world can keep up with a dog. There's many times they have treed miles from where they struck at times the bear dogs are treed over 7 miles from where I'm standing at a given time. So I have to go back to a truck driver around to the closest point to get back to the dogs. I don't want to cause any hard feelings with any one and most dog hunters just want to get there dog and leave to avoid confrontation but it happens. Heck it even happens in the national Forest hundreds of thousands of acres to hunt an they'll run right up in someone's back yard lol. Just have to hope the op's situation gets resolved in a civil like manner

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

I'm tired of my cattle being run by loose dogs. If you can't control your dog, I will.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Gamblinman on April 07, 2018, 02:00:27 AM
I'm tired of my cattle being run by loose dogs. If you can't control your dog, I will.
I never raised cow dogs I raised and trained coonhounds.
A bunch of the land I had permission to hunt had cattle on it and never had a problem. I've never seen friends dogs or my dogs ever run cattle. If a coon traveled near cattle or through they would run the coon. Most generally the cows never worried about our dogs and were use to them. Once in awhile a cow might chase the dog if it was looking for a coon track and they had calves. A cow would pummel a dog. Feedlot cattle might be a little different story they can be a little frightful of dogs,but also most generally investigate or if they run its not from dogs chasing them and never have had them break out or had to buy one.
Sometimes dogs know matter what get blamed for bad fences because farmers have to pay and explain why cows got into the neighbors fields and ate corn,beans,hay,etc.

Chris O

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 06, 2018, 03:56:42 AM
I coonhunted for most of my life also. I've heard Turkey's leave the roost when walking in with our lights getting our dogs if we were close to the roost. I also don't believe they fly far. If it was my land and I was an avid turkey hunter I would make contact with the coonhunter.
In Iowa we have the right to go get our dogs,but any reasonable guy if asked by a landowning turkey hunter would gladly stay away especially as nice and reasonable as you sound.
I'm sure they are training dogs probably for competition or could be just for the fun of it. I hunted a turkey hunters land for years without any problems,but I stayed out a couple weeks before season until it was over. Coexisting without problem.
Like another poster stated I'm sure they kill a lot of coon in season saving a lot of nest in the spring.
I use to travel to Ashland Ohio every spring to a Big bluetick coonhound competition. Loved the scenery and hunting event.
I'm sure you can co exist and both enjoy your sport with communication.
I agree we have coyote hounds around my neck of the woods and they run through out the whole year to keep their dogs in shape. I think if you approach the person nicely and explain about your turkey hunting that they will gladly try to stay away. Maybe invite him to hunt it when coon season opens.

WNCTracker

Quote from: AC HAMMER on April 05, 2018, 11:17:44 PM
So tonight as I was letting the dog out to go the the bathroom I couldn't help but notice the sound of what seemed like 2-4 coon dogs running across my property. My property consist of roughly 100 acres with 2 fields and 2 sets of hardwoods. Now the problem with this is the dogs were running straight through where I know for a fact turkeys are roosted and have already heard them gobble earlier this week. So I have 2 thoughts/concerns and I would like to share them and see what you guys think.

1.) I understand dogs do not know where property lines are and they were just doing what they are trained to do; however I'm not real happy that the owners did not get the dogs but for about 45 minutes to an hour of them running all over my land. Should I be more reasonable and understanding or do I have the right to be mad?

2.) here in Ohio we still have about 17 days until season so the turkeys have plenty of time to settle back down, but if this were to happen a day or so before the season should I worry that the birds will relocate their roosting spot?

Just for the record I am 100% sure these are coon dogs because I took a drive around the block and saw a truck with coon cages in the back. No human was around/in the truck

Again, I would love to hear the different opinions on this. Thanks!

Yes you've got the right to be mad, dogs running loose on my property annoys me too ....when I'm still hunting for deer and someone's dogs are trailing game all through the bedding areas I've spent an hour Quietly sneaking to in the dark it irks me. Never had it happen in spring Turkey but in your example if you were setup there in twilight and the flushed the birds off roost before fly down I'd be pretty upset.

Most everything can be settled with a friendly conversation, especially in this case where it was a lone incident.

I don't think one incident will have any bit of effect on those birds unless you're hunting the next AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

Simple solution, put up some signs so the dogs know they can't run on your property.  A good dog will respect your rights.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gamblinman

As far as I can tell, all the dogs I have dispatched have been wild. No collar. Lots of folks seem to dump dogs in this area. Its remote, yet fairly close to cities. I take no joy in doing it, its preservation. Either I take them out, or they take my calves. I have no turkey on this property. few deer, but I don't hunt them. Coon dogs run at night in this area and don't bother cattle, and I don't see them> You can tell the difference pretty quick what is running loose and the dog that belongs to someone.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

troutfisher13111

I'm gonna add my two cents as someone who doesn't own dogs, but has some property and an inconsiderate dog owning neighbor. I don't want dogs on my property, period. I don't like their crap sitting in my yard for my kids to run through, I don't like them chasing my deer off, nor my turkey. I also don't like them harassing my chickens or in the future, my meat rabbits. I hate that every time I call the dog warden, he can't catch them on my property. So, what am I supposed to do?? Just let someone else dictate what can be done on my property? All the hard work and money I saved for so long to buy my dream house and land means nothing? I live in NY, so the ridiculous amount I pay for taxes means nothing? It's beyond frustrating!

Plain and simple, letting your dog on someone else's property when they don't want it there is purely disrespectful. It's the same attitude anti hunters have, forcing what you believe on someone else. Like your opinion matters more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

davisd9

Born and raised in a part of SC where dog hunting is a way of life for many. You name the game and I have probably been on it with dogs. Dog hunting for deer is not something I do any more and really do not do much of any type of dog hunting.

As I already stated if you cannot keep your dogs on your land then do not run them. Everyone understands the occasional mishap of a dog following game where it is not supposed to, but as stated with today's technologies it can even be avoided more than in the past. You can use any excuse you want including the age old "dogs cannot read" but a property owners rights on their property exceeds your hunting rights. People abusing this is why dog hunting of all sorts is a dying sport.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: Terry on April 07, 2018, 10:55:44 AM
I'm gonna add my two cents as someone who doesn't own dogs, but has some property and an inconsiderate dog owning neighbor. I don't want dogs on my property, period. I don't like their crap sitting in my yard for my kids to run through, I don't like them chasing my deer off, nor my turkey. I also don't like them harassing my chickens or in the future, my meat rabbits. I hate that every time I call the dog warden, he can't catch them on my property. So, what am I supposed to do?? Just let someone else dictate what can be done on my property? All the hard work and money I saved for so long to buy my dream house and land means nothing? I live in NY, so the ridiculous amount I pay for taxes means nothing? It's beyond frustrating!

Plain and simple, letting your dog on someone else's property when they don't want it there is purely disrespectful. It's the same attitude anti hunters have, forcing what you believe on someone else. Like your opinion matters more.

Good post!

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Terry on April 07, 2018, 10:55:44 AM

My suggestion is to get a half dozen trail cams. Set them up in an area that is clearly on your property. These pictures are more than enough to get a conviction. If only dogs are caught on camera the owner will get warnings the first couple times before it esculatates.  If Game Warden will still not do anything: go an attorney, may cost a few dollars but he will resolve.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.