OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A little situation *all opinions welcome*

Started by AC HAMMER, April 05, 2018, 11:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

Its a good thing turkeys can't smell, or no one would ever kill one.

If it was my land, I'd leave the person a note asking him to call you or better yet, stop by.  If he seems like a good guy, I'd invite him to coon hunt it all he wants as long as he killed the coons when legal and follows your rules.  My rules would be kill as many coons as possible, leave the land as good or better than you found it, kill the coons, stay off during turkey season, kill the coons, stay off during deer season and most importantly, kill the coons.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

dirt road ninja

A leash. If you can't control your animal don't run it. I don't let my dog run amuck. It's a shame how many dog hunters are irresponsible. I attribute many of the small high fence places popping up a direct reaction to walker hounds.

Years ago I ran deer dogs.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Bearhunter247 on April 06, 2018, 07:16:57 AM
Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 06, 2018, 07:03:10 AM
It's the dog owners responsibility to keep his animal on property he has permission to hunt. I feel dogs caught where they aren't supose to be should incur a fine. Hate when deer dogs run on our ground. Whether or not if it effects the turkeys is irrelevant, your land, if you want them there fine. If not, they shouldn't be there.
Not trying to sound rude in the least. What would be your idea to "control" them to stay on your land? Down here it's farm country. Every so often cows horses sheep's goats dogs cats yes stuff gets loose it means no harm. You just get your animal and everyone is happy. I understand this could have been intentional tresspassing but imo I would think it was not.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

A animal escaping it's pasture or pen is a different story. I use to have a lease next to a fox pen, and the once a year a dog got out didn't bother me. What did is/was where the regular dog hunters who turn a half dozen walkers loose on 200 acres without any means of containment. It's a simple solution, find a very large track of land where your animals are welcome, down size your dogs to short legged beagles that won't travel as far, or get a leash. I don't want them running around my ground and it shouldn't be my responsibility to keep them off.

catdaddy

If it was me I wouldn't stress over it. Coon hunters have almost no affect on hunting turkeys. I would have made effort to meet who ever it was--most coon hunters I know are good fellows. 

richard black

It seems that if you own land there are those who don't own land that think they can use yours without permission. It is called trespassing, no if's, ands, or but's about it. If a coon hunter would ask permission I would be happy to grant it, on my terms and conditions as I own the land. I would gladly like to rid the property of predators that prey on turkeys. I have coyote hunters that are currently hunting my property for that very reason.
I have even been accused by trespassers that I don't know where my property lines are, that I am trespassing, etc. etc. It tends to make a person upset.
Don't assume that just because you are running dogs it is ok to let them go antwhere they want because you are doing the landowner a "favor" by removing the coons, ask for permission first. Most of the time you will get permission, if not then stay off, it is not your land and you deserve any repercussions that might result.
Sensitive subject.

Bearhunter247

I'm not saying people don't intentionally trespass because they do. And I know it's hard to understand that I'm assuming they guy didn't turn loose on the op's land I hope not anyway. I got chewed out more knocking on someone's door at 2:00 in the morning asking could I go get my dog than not. Instead I'd walk in go get the dog come back the next day apologize if I woke them. Most of the times they never knew I was there and invited me back to hunt. It's not all bad but the way the world has turned it's a very finicky subject to knock on a person's door in the night asking to go in most people are sleeping and get startled. We do have the right to retrieve law down here I just always go back to meet the person at a decent hour and get to know them anyway

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Gobble!

1 - I'd talk to the hunters and tell them to try to keep the dogs off my property.

2 - I wouldn't be too worried unless they did it the night before the opener.

Gamblinman

Loose dogs on my property are shot on sight.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Gamblinman on April 06, 2018, 11:08:15 AM
I have a friend whos Dual Grand Champion coonhound ran onto someone's property that thought the same way. It ended up costing the landowner right around 15,000$

TauntoHawk

I would do as you did and take down plate number, then I would try and find out who it was and have a conversation. I'd ask them to ask me first or let me know if they plan to turn lose near or on my property with that understanding I would let them know that I will always say yes to coon hunting or trapping outside of turkey and deer season plus a few weeks on the front end.

In my mind a week after season I'd offer the guy a beer for taking coons out during or just before season I'd be reasonably irritated

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hobbes

That is the most irresponsible response that Ive seen.  Threatening dogs or livestock killers are one thing, but someones bird dog or a neighbor's pet that got away from the owner is quite another.

TauntoHawk

There's a long list of things I'd do first, I don't think I would ever be to the point of putting a dog down outside of attacking my children. I've been bit by lose neighbors dogs twice and still didn't think about drawing just I wish they were trained as well as my dog.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dublelung

I'd find out who they were and if they were neighboring land owners or if they were just dropping the gate somewhere. Let them know it's your property and that you're a turkey hunter. Offer them permission to hunt after turkey season as long as they kill the coons. You'll benefit, the turkeys will benefit, and the coon hunters will benefit. If hey're considerate at all they'll stay off your place until after season. If not, then you do what you have to do.

mtns2hunt

Got coon hounds on my trail cams last week. Not too concerned, turkeys deal with all kinds of intruptions. Now if I catch anyone on the property during daylight there is a problem. I have the wardens number saved on my phone. Generally I feel coon hunters are a benifit. Plus I admire anyone that runs through the woods at night. I have enough issues in daylight LOL.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

chcltlabz

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 06, 2018, 11:33:49 AM
I have a friend whos Dual Grand Champion coonhound ran onto someone's property that thought the same way. It ended up costing the landowner right around 15,000$
It would cost them that and a hell of a headache after the beating I gave them if it was my dog.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.