OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A little situation *all opinions welcome*

Started by AC HAMMER, April 05, 2018, 11:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC HAMMER

So tonight as I was letting the dog out to go the the bathroom I couldn't help but notice the sound of what seemed like 2-4 coon dogs running across my property. My property consist of roughly 100 acres with 2 fields and 2 sets of hardwoods. Now the problem with this is the dogs were running straight through where I know for a fact turkeys are roosted and have already heard them gobble earlier this week. So I have 2 thoughts/concerns and I would like to share them and see what you guys think.

1.) I understand dogs do not know where property lines are and they were just doing what they are trained to do; however I'm not real happy that the owners did not get the dogs but for about 45 minutes to an hour of them running all over my land. Should I be more reasonable and understanding or do I have the right to be mad?

2.) here in Ohio we still have about 17 days until season so the turkeys have plenty of time to settle back down, but if this were to happen a day or so before the season should I worry that the birds will relocate their roosting spot?

Just for the record I am 100% sure these are coon dogs because I took a drive around the block and saw a truck with coon cages in the back. No human was around/in the truck

Again, I would love to hear the different opinions on this. Thanks!

Bearhunter247

Quote from: AC HAMMER on April 05, 2018, 11:17:44 PM
So tonight as I was letting the dog out to go the the bathroom I couldn't help but notice the sound of what seemed like 2-4 coon dogs running across my property. My property consist of roughly 100 acres with 2 fields and 2 sets of hardwoods. Now the problem with this is the dogs were running straight through where I know for a fact turkeys are roosted and have already heard them gobble earlier this week. So I have 2 thoughts/concerns and I would like to share them and see what you guys think.

1.) I understand dogs do not know where property lines are and they were just doing what they are trained to do; however I'm not real happy that the owners did not get the dogs but for about 45 minutes to an hour of them running all over my land. Should I be more reasonable and understanding or do I have the right to be mad?

2.) here in Ohio we still have about 17 days until season so the turkeys have plenty of time to settle back down, but if this were to happen a day or so before the season should I worry that the birds will relocate their roosting spot?

Just for the record I am 100% sure these are coon dogs because I took a drive around the block and saw a truck with coon cages in the back. No human was around/in the truck

Hey man I coon hunt an turkey hunt hard many nights iv been sitting in the woods (light off) listening to the dogs work a track closer then 50 yards from me. Hear something dropping out of a tree close by shine the light a birds be roosted around me. They don't fly if you kinda just hit um with the light an take it off them and if they take a few coons it should help your population of birds. One lest nest robber to have around.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

AC HAMMER

Bear hunter,

I also had the same thought about the thought of less coon! But the season is not in. So they are not going to be taking any out.

Rzrbac

I would make it a point to jot down vehicle info and find out the owner and make contact with them. If they are the dog owners and understand your situation with the impending turkey season and disturbance they are causing I would think a reasonable fellow would move on. I'm also aware that some folks just aren't reasonable. If that turns out to be the case, take photos and or videos to submit to your sheriff's office and let them handle it.

AC HAMMER

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 05, 2018, 11:27:27 PM
I would make it a point to jot down vehicle info and find out the owner and make contact with them. If they are the dog owners and understand your situation with the impending turkey season and disturbance they are causing I would think a reasonable fellow would move on. I'm also aware that some folks just aren't reasonable. If that turns out to be the case, take photos and or videos to submit to your sheriff's office and let them handle it.

I did jot down the plate #. Not planning on doing anything unless it because a repeat issue I think. Who know though!

1iagobblergetter

I coonhunted for most of my life also. I've heard Turkey's leave the roost when walking in with our lights getting our dogs if we were close to the roost. I also don't believe they fly far. If it was my land and I was an avid turkey hunter I would make contact with the coonhunter.
In Iowa we have the right to go get our dogs,but any reasonable guy if asked by a landowning turkey hunter would gladly stay away especially as nice and reasonable as you sound.
I'm sure they are training dogs probably for competition or could be just for the fun of it. I hunted a turkey hunters land for years without any problems,but I stayed out a couple weeks before season until it was over. Coexisting without problem.
Like another poster stated I'm sure they kill a lot of coon in season saving a lot of nest in the spring.
I use to travel to Ashland Ohio every spring to a Big bluetick coonhound competition. Loved the scenery and hunting event.
I'm sure you can co exist and both enjoy your sport with communication.

zelmo1

We hunted coons when I was young, no turkeys around then. Now, I would make contact with the dog's owner and ask him to not train for the month leading up to and the turkey season. Please come back after to train and take as many as possible in the season. He should respect your land owner rights and understand. If not, post it" access by permission only" and proceed accordingly. Usually word of mouth is enough to fix these disputes. I am from and live in a small town, these things usually get resolved quickly. Good luck, Al Baker

Tom Foolery

I'm not real big on trespassers so I would not have been happy.   It's always confused me how going onto someone's land without permission is ok when you're coon hunting but not when you're hunting something else.

wade

Years ago I was deer hunting on land I thought I had permission to be on. When returning to my pickup there was a note on the windshield. Turned out my understanding of the property lines was incorrect. If there is a next time, leave them a note. As was said most reasonable hunters will respect your wishes especially if you welcome them back after turkey time. If they are not reasonable, the local game warden and or sheriff is your next step.
Do it outdoors

coonhunter

I coon hunt and turkey hunt both.  I have seen many turkeys on the roost when we coon hunt. Some fly some don't. But they normally only fly a few trees over or a couple hundred yards at most. I don't feel that it would run them out of the area. If they did get busted up at night, might make it easier to call in the next morning since they will be wanting to get back together. One time I had a Tom gobble at us as the dogs ran thru barking!  Hopefully they just got over on you by mistake and want be back. It's really hard to keep control of dogs as they are running. Not all coon hunters are poachers!
Joshua 24:15

dirt road ninja

It's the dog owners responsibility to keep his animal on property he has permission to hunt. I feel dogs caught where they aren't supose to be should incur a fine. Hate when deer dogs run on our ground. Whether or not if it effects the turkeys is irrelevant, your land, if you want them there fine. If not, they shouldn't be there.

Bearhunter247

Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 06, 2018, 07:03:10 AM
It's the dog owners responsibility to keep his animal on property he has permission to hunt. I feel dogs caught where they aren't supose to be should incur a fine. Hate when deer dogs run on our ground. Whether or not if it effects the turkeys is irrelevant, your land, if you want them there fine. If not, they shouldn't be there.
Not trying to sound rude in the least. What would be your idea to "control" them to stay on your land? Down here it's farm country. Every so often cows horses sheep's goats dogs cats yes stuff gets loose it means no harm. You just get your animal and everyone is happy. I understand this could have been intentional tresspassing but imo I would think it was not.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

frank1969

Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 06, 2018, 07:03:10 AM

I take it u never ran hounds,and for the turkey roosting and dogs at night them birds will stay in that lot, birds flush out at night all the time for many non human reasons but they stay in that wood lot,

Dtrkyman

Coon hunters and mushroom hunters biggest trespassers in our area, I do not care if it spooks birds or not in the sense that they do not belong there.

One time deal, not going to get too concerned, but every coon hunter in the world will come tell you it's no big deal, which is b.s. imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigeclipse

In my opinion you need to get them off your land. Any dog smell is associated with being a predator. It is just like if you were walking through your own land stinking it all up with human scent and such. The more it happens the more you pressure any prey animals and they may start to stay away. Not all of them will leave but many will be driven off (Deer, turkey, other game birds...etc.). if it is a good neighbor, then just have a sensible conversation with him and he should understand. Just my two scents. If it only happens once or twice I would not worry too much but if you hear it more than that id be concerned.