Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much do you budget for turkey hunting each year?

Started by Gamblinman, April 05, 2018, 10:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Well I don't have a huge income, I will normally just buy 2 or 3 boxes of shells to sight in and get a bird with and then about $75.00-100 for gas depending on how the year has been, this year it will be a little less because of van repairs and this site, lol I have bought 2 calls here that in total are normally 3/4 of my budget but oh well, so long as the van is running by next month and I have 3 days worth of gas at the end of the month I will be happy this month and they will do all I can next month.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Budget ???   I don't need no steenking budget !!!

Gonna leave PA and do WY and NE with my brother.  I'm figuring to be able to do it for around $1k outta my pocket unless the birds are determined to commit suicide and I gotta buy the maximum allowable number of tags in each state.  If that's the case............ I've had WORSE problems !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Deast1988

I'm out $1k for this year but I ordered some nice calls to carry afield with me.

saverx

All of it. Spare no expense. You will be dead soon.

SteelerFan

sasquatch1

Quote from: saverx on April 05, 2018, 07:46:02 PM
All of it. Spare no expense. You will be dead soon.

THIS! However much I need to to max my hunting experience. Over 1k in just licenses. And a lot of gas and hotel fees traveling around whenever I'm off of work which is usually a decent amount. That's the only limiting factor, work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Meatseeker

My kids are getting closer to grown up so I'm getting closer to being able to travel each spring.  For now I'll hunt MA and CT with my son.  I probably spend around $750 to $1200 on licenses, tags, ammo, a couple new calls, fuel, and camping fees.  That said this year I splurged and got a new shotgun.  A Benelli M2 20 gauge, with a Vortex Venom sight, and a Turlock HW7 choke!  I can't wait for our season to start.

Caspar

new member here,  i dont spend much on turkey hunting. maybe some shells and a couple mouth calls but thats usually about it. ive only ever hunted turkeys on the public lands fairly close to my house. im looking to get a couple custom pot calls and possibly a cheaper custom box call this year. i also broke my scope so ill be getting a new one but thats about it for me this year

SteelerFan

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 05, 2018, 08:26:05 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on April 05, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
$23

You bought two rounds of TSS ?????

LOL! Would that buy two? Budget vs. spend... I always say "just a mouth call or two and I'm good this year..." Just can't seem to make it happen.

Actually, if I don't count calls - I'm pretty low on the expenses. Gear & clothing set. Gas and extraneous goodies for two states (one home / one hunt camp in Pa).

Oh yeah, I did spend $34 on Amazon for a qt. of permithrin and dedicated one gallon sprayer - should make about 4 1/2 gallons, so I'll be able to depreciate that expense!

Rzrbac

I have no idea what I spend. I hope it's not much. I only hunt Missouri but since I've retired I've swore to hunt another state or two. Right now I'm consumed with killing a bull with my bow. That takes a little cash for sure but so far this year I've bought boots and a new vest and will pick up another box of shells. I'll have less than $500 in this spring. Now this fall, that won't even buy my elk tag :(

POk3s

I just added up My unsuccessful Nebraska archery trip to under $500 splitting cost with my dad. Going to the Wyoming black hills and hope to keep that under $500 for a 3 day trip. I live in Wyoming but i couldnt be farther away.

Montana I'll try to do for under $800

Utah I'll Try to keep under $300

Probably head back to Nebraska and will try to do that for under $500 since I already have the tag. (Unless I need to buy another :)

So not a budget but going to try and stay under $2100 for trips + tag prices. Calls, shells, new turkey vest, a new decoy and I hope I get through the spring under $2500.

Cut N Run

My primary hunting areas are both less than 10 miles from the house.  The farthest I travel to turkey hunt is some public land about 50 miles away and I only do that a few times a season. 

I buy a few mouth calls to replace last year's and I buy a couple more boxes of ammo, even though I've only shot twice (once for each bird) for the past several seasons.

I buy a new box or pot call every year because I'm compelled to, even though I usually hunt with the same 3 calls season after season.

I buy a new bottle of Duration Permethrin Concentrate every year, though I use most of it on my work clothes.

I bought a Lifetime Sportsman's license in 1986 that includes tags and gamelands permit, so hunting license is covered.

I'll probably spend less than $400 on turkey hunting this year, though I won't get much time to hunt either.

As much as I'd love to travel out of state to hunt, this is the busiest time of year for my business.  As an owner of the company, I just can't get away.  Sometimes, reality sucks when you see it in print.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

High plains drifter

I bought my wife a 68 camaro several years ago, so she gives me 1,000 dollars to hunt with every season, as long as I work on the car.

coonhunter

According to my wife too much!  But I'd say $250 a year is about it.  My son is 9 and now hunts to that helps to justify buying stuff!????
Joshua 24:15