Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much do you budget for turkey hunting each year?

Started by Gamblinman, April 05, 2018, 10:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamblinman

I'm retired and hunt a bunch of states. I budget $5K each year...that includes everything. I usually come in under budget. I don't do much other hunting, other than hogs, dove, and some quail. If I'm not turkey hunting, I'm usually crappie fishing.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

stinkpickle

eggshell

I have one budget strategy......Please honey can I have enough money to go to ___________ to turkey hunt?

dublelung

I don't budget it but it would scare me to death to know what I actually spend. I'd rather not know, lol.

BrowningGuy88

Well I don't - probably should.

I am lucky to have a good chunk of private land between me, my stepdad and granddad. Luckily it all adjoins so it is a big block.

I want to start travelling each year to hunt as well, but haven't done so yet.

I would say with planting and diesel/maintenance and all that goes with that $5k is about right.

Uncle Nicky

If I figure in tags, gas, outfitter fees, lease fees, motels, $5k sounds about right. What's a Butterball, about $10 on sale? :TooFunny:

MK M GOBL

Sounds like a good starting point, just depends on the "where" that would determine some of that for me and if there is a "goal" single season slam or going out of US for sub species.

MK M GOBL

bghunter777

I spend way to much turkey hunting already this year.

New Camo
New Scope for shotgun
New Ammo
Assorted gear XXXXXX
Plane Ticket
Hotels
Multiple NR and Resident license
etc etc

zelmo1

Not enough, my queen still spends more. I need to rethink my strategy  :fud:

WW

Usually $3-4k. This year I'm trying the single season so $6-7k. May die broke, but I'll have had a million dollars worth of fun!!

THattaway

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Happy

I don't budget for hunting. I have free reign to spend money for hunting how i want. All i typically buy are mine and pedro's licenses, shells, gas, and food.  I will buy a call once in a while but definitely not a collector. I would guess I am around $1500 for the two of us to hunt two states.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Boilermaker

I really don't want to know.  As long as it doesn't get out of control and affect other budgets, it's better to not add it up.  At the end of the day as long as you are happy and the spouse doesn't kill you, it's all good!  Do what you love to do, don't hold back.   ;)

hobbes

I say I'll do that next year at the end of turkey season every year, then the following season shows up and it feels like I just recovered from the previous.  Ive not traveled out of state the last couple years.  However, the driving required to hunt multiple regions in MT requires as much fuel and overnight lodging that I might as well be hunting multiple states.

greencop01

I don't know where you come up with 5K. I'm very near retirement and this year I will spend around $160 for boots, $40 on ammo, $200 on licenses and tags, $150 for my share of motels, $60 on gas, $150 on meals and that's about it. I work for a living and there is no way I can get 5K together for a hunt. I'm glad for you guys that can, hope you have a successful Spring.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!