OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using the same gun....

Started by Greg Massey, March 14, 2017, 01:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKeeper1

835 for turkey
Ultra Slug for deer
935 pro series for duck
Soon to have a BPS 10 for geese
12 O/U for pheasant
1100 for dove
.22 and a .410 for squirrel
48AL 20ga for rabbit
Mossy 500 12 ga I bring as a backup for everything.
.410- 10 ga pardners for fun
One gun for everything is boring!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

Mossberg 835 12ga      ( everything)
Remington 1100 3"magnum 12ga    (everything)
Charles Daly pump 20ga      (everything)
Winchester 1400 semi auto 20ga    (small game)
Remington 870 youth 20ga       (turkey)
Bakial MP153 12ga semi auto    (everything)
Stoeger 3020 20ga semi auto     (new turkey gun)
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Marc

I have different shot guns for different uses for sure. But my primary waterfowl gun is also my turkey hunting gun.

Beretta Urika-2 with a 28 inch barrel. It is Matt black but I used Rustolium paint for camouflage. It comes off easy enough with acetone, and I can change colors for waterfowl or turkey hunting very easily. It does make the gun look very "white trash" though.

Honestly, the paint seems to blend in better and has less shine and glare then do most dipping jobs.

I have thought about getting a separate barrel that is shorter with dedicated turkey sites on it. I am not all that interested in a scoped mount though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

cwb04

Quote from: Bowguy on March 14, 2017, 02:45:54 PM
This thread is fairly new but it seems most guys have dedicated turkey guns. Shows some of the dedication on this forum to turkey hunting. I'd bet the average hunter prob more often has the one or two guns for all

Wow.  I've used the same 870 for doves, ducks and turkeys for the past 10 years or longer.  Been fortunate enough to kill a truck load of turkeys on public land here in MS and turkeys in 11 or 12 states.  Also guided ducks hunts for many years.  I just never realized I wasn't a "dedicated" turkey hunter, just thought I was too poor to get another gun when this one works just fine.

stinkpickle

Quote from: cwb04 on March 15, 2017, 03:48:30 PM
This thread is fairly new but it seems most guys have dedicated turkey guns. Shows some of the dedication on this forum to turkey hunting. I'd bet the average hunter prob more often has the one or two guns for all

Wow.  I've used the same 870 for doves, ducks and turkeys for the past 10 years or longer.  Been fortunate enough to kill a truck load of turkeys on public land here in MS and turkeys in 11 or 12 states.  Also guided ducks hunts for many years.  I just never realized I wasn't a "dedicated" turkey hunter, just thought I was too poor to get another gun when this one works just fine.

He said, "I'd bet the average hunter prob more often has the one or two guns for all."   Not, "I'd bet someone who has one or two guns for all is an average hunter."   ;)

tha bugman

I am working on my own private slam with one of my 870's  pretty much got all southern small and large game with it with the exception of a deer. 

cwb04

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 15, 2017, 03:57:34 PM
Quote from: cwb04 on March 15, 2017, 03:48:30 PM

He said, "I'd bet the average hunter prob more often has the one or two guns for all."   Not, "I'd bet someone who has one or two guns for all is an average hunter."   ;)

I agree 100% which is why I never said anything about "average".  I was poking at him about being "dedicated"  ;)  Well really more about my funds (or lack of funds) to buy another shotgun.  My ole 870 has served me well and is dedicated to pretty much everything I hunt that has feathers.   :z-guntootsmiley:  All Good!

Farmboy27

As the old saying goes, "beware the man who has but one gun, for he likely knows how to use it"!  Over the years I have wasted lots of money looking for my "dedicated " turkey gun. But I never found one that suited me as much as my old 870 with a 26" barrel in original bottomland that I bought when I was 14. It has killed turkeys, coyotes, bobcats, foxes, coons, rabbits, squirrels,  ringnecks, grouse, groundhogs, woodcock, snipe, ducks and geese. It doesn't throw patterns as good as some of the guns I've had. Many of the guys here would probably laugh at the number it puts in a 10" circle. But I know the gun like the back of my hand and when I do my part, it does it's.

Farmboy27

Quote from: Treerooster on March 15, 2017, 06:24:17 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 15, 2017, 05:34:37 PM
As the old saying goes, "beware the man who has but one gun, for he likely knows how to use it"! 

Disagree. The guy with one gun is probably your weekend warrior that might get out to hunt 10 or so times a year...for everything he hunts.

The type of guy that reads that you can kill a turkey at 66 yards on the shell box with those shells, throws the shell in his gun, and now thinks he has a real "tuckey killa".

If you see a guy with a sight on his turkey gun you may not know a lot about him, but he probably has at least shot the gun with a turkey load in it before he went hunting.

That said there are guys who have just one gun for everything and do know how to use it. IMO they are the exception though, not the norm
Really?  I work with a fellow who owns 40+ guns. He hunts maybe 3 days a year. I guess many of us that use one gun are "weekend warriors", as in we have no other days to hunt. Does that mean that most of us don't know what we're doing or that we don't know what our guns will do?  I know a lot of outstanding hunters who use their shotgun for everything. I also know guys who buy every new gun and load that comes out, thinking it will give them an edge. In my area the die hard hunters are usually the ones with the least guns. The braggers are the ones with the collections.

g8rvet

Classic Doubles 101 O/U 12 ga for duck/geese and sporting clays for a tune up.

Weatherby SA-459 20 ga for turkey

Remington 870 12 ga for saltwater duck hunting, for loaded snow goose fields, and for turkeys - my son has stolen it for turkeys, so it will be his gun soon.  I have killed deer, turkey, hog, duck, goose, skirrel, and one possum that really deserved it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

wmn2

One for turkey, one for deer. Will probably pick up a semi auto for birds soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Disagree. The guy with one gun is probably your weekend warrior that might get out to hunt 10 or so times a year...for everything he hunts.

The type of guy that reads that you can kill a turkey at 66 yards on the shell box with those shells, throws the shell in his gun, and now thinks he has a real "tuckey killa".

If you see a guy with a sight on his turkey gun you may not know a lot about him, but he probably has at least shot the gun with a turkey load in it before he went hunting.

That said there are guys who have just one gun for everything and do know how to use it. IMO they are the exception though, not the norm.

Darn. He's on to me!

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Kylongspur88

I own several scatter guns but only one is a "turkey gun." The others are for rabbits, tree rats, ducks, and burglars.

ilbucksndux

See I think the exact opposite. If a guy gets out of the truck with a new shiny fancy gun with gizmos on it I think this guy is a 2 weekend a year "hunter". But anyway.......

I have several shotguns,to many to admit to on a public forum and tend to use different ones for different things. My SX2 is for waterfowl and doves, I have a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter for deer , and my first generation 870 Super Magnum for turkeys, but nothing to fancy on it. Spray bomb camo job, turkey choke, and truglo sites on the vent rib.

My grandpa owned 2 guns. A 12 ga Model 12 and a Marlin .22. I once ask him why didnt he have more guns . He told me he could do everything he needed with what he had and couldnt shoot more than one at a time anyway.......like trying to ride 2 horses with one............well you know how that ends.
Gary Bartlow

tha bugman

Quote from: tha bugman on March 15, 2017, 04:24:25 PM
I am working on my own private slam with one of my 870's  pretty much got all southern small and large game with it with the exception of a deer.