turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using the same gun....

Started by Greg Massey, March 14, 2017, 01:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

I like an 870 for turkey, but lately have used an 1187 20. Light weight,quick,  and not much noise. Great gun.

TRG3

My go-to turkey shotgun is my Remington 870 12 gauge with an Undertaker choke tube; however, what I really like to do is take different shotguns since Illinois allows for three permits during the spring season. So far, I've successfully used my grandfather's 12 gauge Winchester Model 12, 12 gauge 1889 Remington hammer double barrel, 11 gauge flintlock fowler, and 20 gauge flintlock Fusil. This season, I've got a Remington 870 20 gauge with an Undertaker choke tube as well as a 12 gauge LC Smith Damascus hammer double barrel for which I've loaded up some black powder shells. It should be fun!!

ilbucksndux

Quote from: tha bugman on March 27, 2017, 10:52:29 AM
Quote from: tha bugman on March 15, 2017, 04:24:25 PM
I am working on my own private slam with one of my 870's  pretty much got all southern small and large game with it with the exception of a deer.

You cant kill a turkey with that gun,it has a wood stock and is not camo !
Gary Bartlow

tha bugman

Quote from: ilbucksndux on March 28, 2017, 02:37:44 PM
I am working on my own private slam with one of my 870's  pretty much got all southern small and large game with it with the exception of a deer.

You cant kill a turkey with that gun,it has a wood stock and is not camo !
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Tell it to the turkeys that commenced to flopping after an introduction to her.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

kjnengr

Looks like that Ol' 870 is old and beat up.  Send it to me so you don't have to deal with it anymore.  Hell, I'll take the dirty ol' Ford too.    :goofball:

Farmboy27

Quote from: kjnengr on March 28, 2017, 04:28:11 PM

Looks like that Ol' 870 is old and beat up.  Send it to me so you don't have to deal with it anymore.  Hell, I'll take the dirty ol' Ford too.    :goofball:
Yup. Show me a gun like that and I'll show you a hunter. Show me a new, latest and greatest one with all sorts of add on's, and I'll show you someone who likes spending money on guns. Nothing wrong with either one. But saying that a guy with one gun is a weekend warrior or isn't a serious hunter is about as bad as an assumption as a person could make.

tha bugman

Quote from: kjnengr on March 28, 2017, 04:28:11 PM

cant do that brother I got a family to feed!  :TooFunny:

kjnengr

I personally know all of those types of hunters. 

My hunting partner with the old beat up 870 that's the best turkey hunter I know. 

Then there's one of our friends who has the old 870 that is missing the rear sight on his gun (and it doesn't bother him enough to get another one) and didn't even pattern the last two types of shells he bought (one of the them was the dreaded Hornadys). 

I am the guy that likes top end equipment but I know it like the back of my hand and have put it through its paces so I know its limitations and attributes. 

And then there's my dad who doesn't really hunt much, but has all the shiny new equipment.  In his defense though, he can afford whatever he wants and has me to do the legwork of patterning, trial and error of chokes, etc. 

High plains drifter

I use 3 different guns to turkey hunt with. I think it's fun, to mix it up.The main thing is, know what load to use.Well yeah- the 870 so from the eighties, is my go to, turkey gun.

WyoHunter

I have two Berettas, a 12 ga and and a 20 ga. , that are setup specifically for turkey hunting with scopes and fully camo'd. My other shot gun is a 20 ga. O/U that I used for pheasant hunting but has been retired since my drahthaar has passed away.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

owlhoot

I really like to have a turkey gun collection, but I don't.
If you don't have but one, that is your choice. For whatever reasons.

But to not really want more than one . There is something wrong, very wrong  :help: :help:
Get to the gun shop, quickly before it to late for you! The cure is just around the corner  :z-guntootsmiley:
Fun intended  ;D

Lucky_Strutter

I have 3 setup for turkeys, two 12's & a 20
The Great White Spur Hunter

CT Spur Collector

Only use my Benelli M2 12 gage. It's a machine. Got lots of notches in the stock!

Deast1988

I have my first turkey gun old Nova 24in is now a loaner if any buddy needs a gun for a hunt. Dedicated turkey

Sx3 NWTF 20ga dedicated turkey

870 youth 20 fully tricked dedicated turkey

Cynergy 12ga for clays

Vinchi an SBE 2 are duck/Dove guns

I want a pistol grip 12ga for turkeys I see that in my future when ever I decide to switch from a 20.

la angler

I have a 1187 that I use for everything but I am looking for a dedicated turkey gun.