OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hiding your hands????

Started by Poleaxe, March 10, 2017, 12:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I wear stretch fit gloves like those from ol'Tom.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WNCTracker

I wear under armor "liners."  They have silicone tips and fit large hands really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Quote from: UGAturkey on March 10, 2017, 04:04:08 AM
I have always cut the finger tips off of mine.  I run a stitch on each side of the finger to keep them from unraveling further.

X9

boatpaddle

Take a wine bottle cork & burn the end of it with a lighter....

Rub the burnt end on the tops of your fingers & put a wide "X" across the back of your hand.....

No oils/face paint to worry about getting on the surface of your call....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

PineyRooster

Quote from: Marc on March 10, 2017, 03:12:26 PM
My impression of gloves is that they are more for us than for the turkeys.

I doubt there are 10 hunters in the whole country who killed a bird wearing gloves they would not have without gloves.

Now a shiny pink/white face with a bobbing head is a different story and I do believe in a face mask...  But I have given up on gloves (unless I am wearing them for warmth).

X2

Greg Massey

I doubt there are 10 hunters in the whole country who killed a bird wearing gloves they would not have without gloves.

Now a shiny pink/white face with a bobbing head is a different story and I do believe in a face mask...  But I have given up on gloves (unless I am wearing them for warmth).
I wear them to help cut the odds in my favor...So i wouldn't know, i have killed all my birds wearing gloves...Always wear a face mask ....As cheap as they are why take a chance...so i guess i'm 1 of those 10...

turkaholic

I also have never killed a bird without my gloves and a mask on. I believe gloves are one the most important piece of camo you have on. Ever watch your hunting partner without gloves. All you see are white flags moving way to much. Every call every black fly you swat is like waving a white flag. Cover um up boys! Any way you feel comfortable. I carry a light weight rubber type grip and a net air flow pair and I always have two pair, so when I leave the right hand on the log I'm sitting on I still have a pair. How many left hand gloves do you have without a match. Every once in a while I get my left handed brother to give me some of his right hand left overs.
live to hunt hunt to live

dublelung

I just use the cheap cotton gloves with thumb and trigger finger cut off at the halfway point. I've killed several turkeys without gloves and a few without head net. I believe being still will do you more good than being 100% camo'd.

Gamblinman

I use a pair of cotton gloves with dot grip and cut the trigger finger off at the joint.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Brian Fahs

Always seem to lose one glove.... have a box of cheap camo mismatched gloves I wear. Lately use cheap brown jersey gloves from the dollar store. I feel it makes a difference in concealment. ESPECIALLY with birds in tight in open timber.

grayfox

I always wear gloves but I cut the finger tips off the thumb & trigger finger. Never have a problem running my calls this way. Also do the same deer hunting.

renegade19

Quote from: Brian Fahs on March 11, 2017, 11:23:40 AM
Always seem to lose one glove.... have a box of cheap camo mismatched gloves I wear. Lately use cheap brown jersey gloves from the dollar store. I feel it makes a difference in concealment. ESPECIALLY with birds in tight in open timber.

I always wear gloves, usually mesh camo or light material camo but was going to say regular old brown Jersey gloves work just as well.  Usually, mine have the index finder cut out because I also use them deer hunting and don't like that finger covered when using an archery release.

Strutr

I've called up turkeys while I was wearing street clothes, no hat, mask, or gloves.  However, I don't hunt that way since it's quite likely that most old toms and hens are going to bust me.  Most turkey hunters have probably already spent a small fortune on a camo suit, vest, shotgun, etc., so why leave a small detail to chance?  JMHO

Number17

Quote from: guesswho on March 10, 2017, 11:19:17 AM
A burnt stick will work.

I use burnt cork on my face when archery hunting. It works very good and washes off easily.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

Our military has done studies that conclude that the first thing picked up by the human eye is the uncovered hand. That shiny pink/white hand is just as bad or worse than the face.
Your hands move around much more than your face does.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls