turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Drones for hunting?

Started by GED6531, March 08, 2017, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Drones should be illegal for use in hunting situations. Saying that, if they are not illegal in your state and you want to use one go ahead. I have no plan on using them but I have no right to bash someone who is hunting legally.

Marc

I know of people that have tried to use them for turkey hunting...  Apparently at best they can use them to get a sense of the landscape, as apparently the turkeys do not like them, and tend to go into hiding when they are utilized.

As it currently stands, they are fairly useless for duck hunting outside of getting a bird's eye view of the blind or the area being hunting...  Which honestly, I would be somewhat interested in doing myself.

However, I can see potential for turning drones into "flying decoys" and using them in a completely unfair method.

Personally, at the least, I would like a law that says you cannot hunt (anything) within 24 hours of applying a drone...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

guesswho

With me piloting a drone the only thing in danger would be myself and my accomplices so I'll pass. 

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

LaLongbeard

Drones,cameras,motion decoys, decoys on remote controled wheels. Its suppose to be difficult its a sport if getting a picture of yourself and a dead turkey is your ultimate goal go buy a tame turkey and knock it in the head with a hammer and take all the hero pics and  video you want.And on the plus side any moron that would want to look at your pics. or video probably can't tell the difference between a wild gobbler and a butterball.You saved all that money on gadgets got the pics for your mybook and yourface  page and you can make up any story you want to go with the pics. and the best part me or some other hunter doesn't have to see you running around the woods breathing out of your mouth with a sweat bra on..looking for your lost toy  lol its a win for eveyone
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Marc

As  eluded to previously, I do see a benefit in utilizing drones to find or investigate new areas of land to hunt.

I also see considerable issues with such message being utilized without regulation.

Land access is one of the most challenging aspects facing most turkey hunters, especially new turkey hunters.

I think if most hunters had access to good areas to hunt, there would be less incentive to use mechanical decoys and all of the other gimmicks that currently seem to go against some of my own ethics in hunting.

Currently my greatest challenge in turkey hunting is finding a place to hunt turkeys that actually has turkeys. In the back of my mind I have an inkling  that I could find new areas by utilizing a drone. This would be something that would interest me far more in the off-season then during the hunting season though.

Did I do that?

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Treerooster on March 08, 2017, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: Marc on March 08, 2017, 10:39:59 AM
Personally, at the least, I would like a law that says you cannot hunt (anything) within 24 hours of applying a drone...

So if somebody were to fly a drone over your duck pond, or a WMA then nobody could hunt that place the next day? Great weapon for an anti hunter with that law.

For me it goes back to electronic decoys and calls. Don't see why they are legal anywhere. Drones would fall into that category.

pretty sure he ment the person flying the drone not everyone else
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

Would you still need an out of state license to pilot a drone via satellite in another state to get your birds?
Imagine the savings on travel expenses, just do it on line!

:z-dizzy: :goofball:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Marc

Quote from: Treerooster on March 08, 2017, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: Marc on March 08, 2017, 10:39:59 AM

So if somebody were to fly a drone over your duck pond, or a WMA then nobody could hunt that place the next day? Great weapon for an anti hunter with that law.

For me it goes back to electronic decoys and calls. Don't see why they are legal anywhere. Drones would fall into that category.

As stated I meant the person flying the drone would be no longer eligible to hunt for 24 hours after flying the drone. Better yet no flying drones during the season at all.

Someone flies a drone over my private duck club, the drone is either not coming back, or coming back severely damaged. I would guess a similar situation might occur at a Refuge as well with most hunters.
Did I do that?

LaLongbeard

[quote author=Marc link=topic=71195.msg693966#msg693966 date

Currently my greatest challenge in turkey hunting is finding a place to hunt turkeys that actually has turkeys. In the back of my mind I have an inkling  that I could find new areas by utilizing a drone. This would be something that would interest me far more in the off-season then during the hunting season though.
[/quote]
The best scouting tool available
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

catman529

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 08, 2017, 03:59:14 PM

[/quote] yep, by far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB30

We are starting to see a lot of real estate companies use drones for taking aerial video and pics of properties they have for sale. Pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't ever see a use for them in a hunting situation as most everything is terribly petrified of drones. Also, you already have to pass an FAA test to be able to legally fly one. Basically the same test as a pilot so that will cut down on the number of people that just get them for casual use.

I am considering doing some freelance work for land realtors in the area and some other business opportunities. Also, unless you get a pretty substantial drone the battery life will kill you. A decent size drone takes 2 fully charged batteries to run footage and pics of about 200 acres.

I don't think it will ever be a huge problem as far as actually using them for hunting goes.

Volgobbler

I know 2 guys who had  expensive drones and they tried to scout a couple of fields over. They  were sending it over some Tall oaks and gust of wind blew it into the woods and crashed and  destroyed it. Funny if you know the guys. Way more money than sense. Have 2 trail cameras out. Have no problem with them. If you work alot its a good way to scout. 

Greg Massey

Quote from: catman529 on March 08, 2017, 04:50:08 PM

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 08, 2017, 03:59:14 PM

yep, by far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]  Do you have to have a license to fly these ?

Happy

I shot down my old neighbors remote control airplane. Thinking a drone won't be too much harder to hit. And yes he knew it was coming and dared me to try.
Only took two shots.   

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

owlhoot

Quote from: Happy on March 08, 2017, 05:23:35 PM
I shot down my old neighbors remote control airplane. Thinking a drone won't be too much harder to hit. And yes he knew it was coming and dared me to try.
Only took two shots.   

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
:TooFunny: