turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Drones for hunting?

Started by GED6531, March 08, 2017, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Quote from: BB30 on March 08, 2017, 05:05:50 PMAlso, you already have to pass an FAA test to be able to legally fly one. Basically the same test as a pilot so that will cut down on the number of people that just get them for casual use.
where'd you hear this? Last I checked you only need to register your unmanned aircraft. One number is good for all your aircraft. They do have their "rules" or guidelines for safe flying, some Bs about 400 ft altitude lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Nicky

Don't care for drones OR trail cameras. :z-twocents:

BB30

Quote from: catman529 on March 09, 2017, 06:42:18 AM
Quote from: BB30 on March 08, 2017, 05:05:50 PMAlso, you already have to pass an FAA test to be able to legally fly one. Basically the same test as a pilot so that will cut down on the number of people that just get them for casual use.
where'd you hear this? Last I checked you only need to register your unmanned aircraft. One number is good for all your aircraft. They do have their "rules" or guidelines for safe flying, some Bs about 400 ft altitude lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy that I will be working with runs a drone for work and he had to take it. They have started cracking down a bit. Now that may only be for certain sized drones or for certain uses but he had to take the test and I will be too.

hobbes

Commercial use requires the license.  We are starting to use one at work for measuring gravel stock piles, bridge inspection, etc.  Only one of our guys has the license so far.  He actually has a similar drone at home, but does not need the license for personal use.

I really have no interest in flying it, so I turned down the offer to take the test.  However, I may be required to if we find more use for it.  You are going to see more use as time goes by and prices come down.  You'll also see more regulation as that hsppens.

RutnNStrutn

Don't know anyone who is doing that, or even if it is legal. All I know is I don't approve of anything electronic to help you hunt, other than range finders or radios for safety.

owlhoot

Drones for turkey hunting  :z-dizzy: and what next? :TrainWreck1:

tha bugman

If they will mount a stutter on a RC Truck chassis then drones are only a matter of time...then we could put a decoy body on the drone and have them fly down into the field creating even more realism as the RC Gobbler flies furiously around trying to catch her! :turkey2:

BB30

Quote from: hobbes on March 09, 2017, 11:16:52 AM
Commercial use requires the license.  We are starting to use one at work for measuring gravel stock piles, bridge inspection, etc.  Only one of our guys has the license so far.  He actually has a similar drone at home, but does not need the license for personal use.

I really have no interest in flying it, so I turned down the offer to take the test.  However, I may be required to if we find more use for it.  You are going to see more use as time goes by and prices come down.  You'll also see more regulation as that hsppens.

Thanks for clarifying that. Sorry for the bad info. We are looking into getting involved with it commercially so I guess that is why he told me about taking the test.

hobbes

Scouting fields at a high enough elevation is the only benefit that I could see, especially if you are set up to watch real time video.  I have no interest in that, but that is real time info that could be an advantage.  It's illegal in Montana.

I would however consider having a leased or owned property flown to create higher resolution aerial photos and build 3d images, but that's not hunting with it.  That's improving on Google Maps.

As far as shooting them down goes.....the FAA still says it's against federal law.

Marc

Quote from: hobbes on March 09, 2017, 11:46:00 AM
Scouting fields at a high enough elevation is the only benefit that I could see, especially if you are set up to watch real time video.  I have no interest in that, but that is real time info that could be an advantage.  It's illegal in Montana.

I would however consider having a leased or owned property flown to create higher resolution aerial photos and build 3d images, but that's not hunting with it.  That's improving on Google Maps.

As far as shooting them down goes.....the FAA still says it's against federal law.
Currently our rivers are running full, and in some areas the high-water mark is considered public domain (the highest high-water mark in the last 10 years).  I would love to fly a drone down some of the areas I like to hunt and fish and get a good idea of where I could legally tromp through the woods when the water starts to recede.

I know of a couple of BLM areas that from my perspective are land-locked inside of private lands...  I have been told there are small corners of some of these properties with public access, and I would guess that a drone could give me a lay of the land, as well as locate private owners to potentially ask them for permission.

However, the idea of crashing a several thousand dollar toy into the flooded river basin, or irritating owners of property adjacent to where I want to hunt does not appeal to me.

Admittedly, the idea of physically scouting for game using a drone seems inherently wrong to me...  Cheating if you will.

I myself will be working 6 days per week during this coming turkey season, and getting boots on the ground to scout areas that are over 1 hour away from my house is not really an option (especially with a family at home).  I can certainly see where the use of cameras and drones, and such would be appealing.

I suppose I am lucky to have a couple areas to go where I know some (not a lot, but some) birds are.  I will hunt the heck out of those areas during the turkey season and hope for the best.  The temptation to put out some cameras to figure things out is awfully tempting, but at this time, just "feels" wrong to me...

The land-owner on one of the properties would probably think the drones are pretty cool, and on the other property a drone would probably be shot down...

The bottom line is that even in the hunting world we are going to have to deal with and address the use and regulation of technology...  I would prefer that hunters have a say (and an ethical stance) in the use and regulation of such.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

hobbes

I don't know all the ins and outs of the rules on commercial use.  I just happen to be discussing the license requirements yesterday with a coworker who has the license.  I've seen those video shots also but don't know where the line is drawn.

I know if you are selling the service, ie. flying someone's property to build maps or photos for them, you need the license.  We are a state agency flying out own materials and ROWs and need a license.  It almost seems reasonable that you'd need a license if you were creating video to be edited and sold that a license would be required.  But......i suspect there is a grey area there.  In fact the laws aren't keeping up with the technology and there seems to be a lot of grey area.

hobbes

If I were to buy one, I'd be well versed in the laws released by the FAA last year.

hobbes

Montana's rule on UAVs (drones):

The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) for
the purpose of locating, spotting or hunting big
game, upland birds or other species under the
management authority of FWP during commission established
hunting seasons is prohibited.

The law closes the door on using it the day before like an aircraft can.  Enforcement would be the problem.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: GED6531 on March 08, 2017, 12:17:20 AM
First off, I have never used a drone or plan to and furthermore do not own one. However, my buddy and I were talking the other day about how turkey hunting has changed even over the past few years and the thought of drones got brought up. I know a lot of people that film and edit hunts are starting to use them for pre and post hunt footage. My question is do you or anyone else you know use drones while hunting or scouting? E.G. ( flying it to check a pasture or greenfield a few hundred yards away instead of walking.) I myself enjoy the old school tactics but I was just curious if it has made it into the turkey hunting scene yet. P.S...... I can not afford a drone. Haha

Me, personally, I like the rush of easing up to an area (field, patch of woods, etc...) and seeing what is there. Using a drone would take the fun/excitement/surprise out of it for me. Next thing you know, people will be mounting guns on drones and not even leaving their living room to hunt...

GED6531

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 09, 2017, 11:17:16 AM
Don't know anyone who is doing that, or even if it is legal. All I know is I don't approve of anything electronic to help you hunt, other than range finders or radios for safety.

I totally agree with you.