turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MAD Smoky Baby

Started by Panhandle_strutter, March 02, 2017, 02:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panhandle_strutter

Anyone had success with this decoy? I usually just use a lone Avian hen but was given the Smoky Baby as a gift. I could see the potential of it working but then again I could see a wary southern longbeard tucking his feathers and getting out of town at first glance. I have seen some gray phase hens in one of the areas that I hunt, just curious if anyone has actually used one of these and had any success?

Greg Massey

I saw one the other day on the clearance rack , i think Midway USA, and they were trying to give it away...Never heard anyone on this forum trying to use one...

Fullfan

Just another gimmick, Kind of like the Dead silence they sold 27 years ago. MAD had produced some very good calls, But also some junk ones. Who remembers the Carbonator Black plastic box call.

I would not spend money on a decoy let alone one that looked white.

But it is your money..
Don't gobble at me...

owlhoot

Give it a shot. If the fanning works with a turkey umbrella, why not?

MK M GOBL

Not that I would buy one to use it, or even use it if it were given to me... But maybe give it a try, at the end of the day you can always use it for target practice...

DSDecoys

MK M GOBL

Panhandle_strutter

It definitely isn't something I would have bought but since it was given to me I was just curious if anyone had used it before

VaBoy

Use it , they work great ... as bow targets  ;D

turkeyfoot

Just my 2 cents and ain't even worth that but I would bet money a tom would do same with it as any hen decoy their brains ain't that complex

Geechie

I'm thinking a decoy setup using the MAD Smokey Baby roosting in a MAD Treecoy!

Panhandle_strutter

Quote from: Geechie on March 02, 2017, 06:16:12 PM
I'm thinking a decoy setup using the MAD Smokey Baby roosting in a MAD Treecoy!

LOL that's too good

TauntoHawk

I wouldn't take it in the woods, if a bird is gonna come to that then my calling is good enough

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

idratherb

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

One place I hunt I used to see several white or grayish hens a year. Every white hen I saw in the spring ALWAYS had gobs with them. I have 2 decoys painted white. One old feather flex decoy and my dsd.  I have used them for years. Way before MAD came out with em. I wouldn't make fun of the decoy. I don't use decoys much, but I will use the one I painted without thinking twice in the right situation.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

soky

Would a snow goose decoy work?

wvmntnhick

Quote from: turkeyfoot on March 02, 2017, 04:54:59 PM
Just my 2 cents and ain't even worth that but I would bet money a tom would do same with it as any hen decoy their brains ain't that complex
X2. You have it, use it. These guys are gonna ride you because it is quite gimmicky but since it's already there, use it. If someone had given me one, I'd put it out there and not worry about it. The MAD decoys are fine but I don't personally like how they ride in a vest. Don't collapse well enough IMO.