OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

MAD Smoky Baby

Started by Panhandle_strutter, March 02, 2017, 02:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

Who knows, maybe paired with a Squealing Hen call, your Smoky Baby might draw every gobbler on that side of the county?  The only way you'll find out how well it works is to try it.  You never know, it could be the magic decoy that draws like a magnet.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on March 02, 2017, 08:16:38 PM
One place I hunt I used to see several white or grayish hens a year. Every white hen I saw in the spring ALWAYS had gobs with them.

You know what they say, blondes have more fun!

Greg Massey

Why not take you some white kitchen plastic garbage bags and put over your decoys body with just the heads sticking out.... you would have garbage baby decoy....

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

MK M GOBL

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on March 03, 2017, 12:22:45 PM
My DSD

Did you air brush the DSD, pretty unique. I guess I have never run in to one "smokey" in the area I hunt would be an absolute rarity around here, but if you have these birds locally. We have seen a few "red" phased birds around (still just very rare) and a buddy of mine killed one as a jake, but it came in to a typical normal colored hen decoy.

MK M GOBL

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 03, 2017, 01:05:08 PM
My DSD

Did you air brush the DSD, pretty unique. I guess I have never run in to one "smokey" in the area I hunt would be an absolute rarity around here, but if you have these birds locally. We have seen a few "red" phased birds around (still just very rare) and a buddy of mine killed one as a jake, but it came in to a typical normal colored hen decoy.

MK M GOBL
I used some paint and a small brush. I had several game camera pics of white hens  so I used one of those to look at. If you look closely you might can tell where the head was broken off from falling out of my vest one morning. I fixed the break and figured painting it couldn't hurt it.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on March 03, 2017, 01:22:57 PM
My DSD

MK M GOBL
I used some paint and a small brush. I had several game camera pics of white hens  so I used one of those to look at. If you look closely you might can tell where the head was broken off from falling out of my vest one morning. I fixed the break and figured painting it couldn't hurt it.

Have you killed birds over it? use it by itself? or mixed in with typical decoys?

Must have been one of the first DSD's before ACE came out, had a buddy have a DSD Jakes head broken off by a tom beating on it...

MK M GOBL

LaLongbeard

I've seen one mostly grey or smoked colored hen in my lifetime saw her couple times over a 3 season period really hoped to see a grey gobbler in the area but never did and the hen is gone also. I think a grey hen is so rare that using a decoy to imitate one would be pointless also I don't think a gobbler would care either way.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Fullfan on March 02, 2017, 03:35:03 PM
Just another gimmick, Kind of like the Dead silence they sold 27 years ago. MAD had produced some very good calls, But also some junk ones. Who remembers the Carbonator Black plastic box call.
Early in my turkey hunting career, prior to switching to custom calls, I bought commercial ones. The only two from MAD I ever bought were the Dead Silence and Carbonator. ;D :TooFunny: Both were pieces of garbage!! >:(  I will NEVER buy anything from the Drury brothers again, ever!! ::)

sixbird

Well, guys on here laughed at me and pretty much ridiculed me for using a Funky Chicken. To each his own, but I've had a number of gobblers open a can of whoop a$$ on that little fella...
I'd try the smoky in a heartbeat. Birds seem to seek out and destroy weakness and out of the ordinary...If birds flare from it, you can always take it down...

wvmntnhick

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 03, 2017, 05:24:43 PM
Quote from: Fullfan on March 02, 2017, 03:35:03 PM
Just another gimmick, Kind of like the Dead silence they sold 27 years ago. MAD had produced some very good calls, But also some junk ones. Who remembers the Carbonator Black plastic box call.
Early in my turkey hunting career, prior to switching to custom calls, I bought commercial ones. The only two from MAD I ever bought were the Dead Silence and Carbonator. ;D :TooFunny: Both were pieces of garbage!! >:(  I will NEVER buy anything from the Drury brothers again, ever!! ::)
For the most part I'd tend to agree. However, the old Aluminator was a good call. I've seen a boy work many a bird with it and its frequency would often times entice a gobble from a tight lipped bird.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 03, 2017, 01:33:08 PM
Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on March 03, 2017, 01:22:57 PM
My DSD

MK M GOBL

Have you killed birds over it? use it by itself? or mixed in with typical decoys?

Must have been one of the first DSD's before ACE came out, had a buddy have a DSD Jakes head broken off by a tom beating on it...

MK M GOBL
I have had jakes, hens and gobblers come to it. I do mix it in with other decoys sometimes early in the year. I have found it doesn't flare turkeys away anymore than regular decoys. I don't use decoys much, when I do I am not scared to use it.

RebelW

I guess I just don't understand the logic in this decoy. We fight and bicker on how real we have to have our decoys. We spend hundreds in DSD's/Avian X's to make sure we have the best and most realistic decoy. Right paint scheme. Body can't be to big, not to small, HS to have a little flash. Etc. But an albino decoy will bring them right up there. I bet 80% of turkeys have never seen a white turkey. If this is the case and decoys don't matter that much on how "realistic" they are, then I should've saved my money and stayed with the foam Dekes I used for years..
MAKE'M FLOP!!

Fullfan

"If this is the case and decoys don't matter that much on how "realistic" they are, then I should've saved my money and stayed with the foam Dekes I used for years.."

I have been saying that for years, I know that I always get " well it is my money"  I think it is crazy to spend 100.00+ on a decoy.  First time I saw a decoy an old fella back in the early 70's
had a piece of card board cut out to look like a turkey, painted flat black. He killed many birds with that thing.
The same fella had a dried tail fan on a stick several years later, this was back in the mid 1970's
mind you.  And this guy had probably less than 5 bucks invested. 

It is kind of like colored fishing hooks, made to catch fishermen...

Just my opinion though, and you all know what they say about opinions.
Don't gobble at me...

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Fullfan on March 04, 2017, 07:30:17 AM
"If this is the case and decoys don't matter that much on how "realistic" they are, then I should've saved my money and stayed with the foam Dekes I used for years.."

I have been saying that for years, I know that I always get " well it is my money"  I think it is crazy to spend 100.00+ on a decoy.  First time I saw a decoy an old fella back in the early 70's
had a piece of card board cut out to look like a turkey, painted flat black. He killed many birds with that thing.
The same fella had a dried tail fan on a stick several years later, this was back in the mid 1970's
mind you.  And this guy had probably less than 5 bucks invested. 

It is kind of like colored fishing hooks, made to catch fishermen...

Just my opinion though, and you all know what they say about opinions.

I guess I could give an opinion here... I have been hunting with decoys for this being my 28th year, and no not every hunt but mostly in the fields around here. My first decoy was the old hard body HS motion hen, pulled a string and the head would tip down a little and back up, yes killed a few birds with it. The came out Feather Flex Foam bodies, bought a hen decoy and yup worked on a few bird, then they came out with the Signature series which had a much better paint scheme, used those for quite a few years and killed plenty of birds. Finally a maker came out with a realistic turkey decoy, first on the market David Smith Decoys DSD and he got it right! My first experience with these was a buddy who bought a Jake decoy, I watched that decoy get beat by 3 toms like nothing I had ever seen before, I mean I had used my dekes but these birds were actually interacting with the decoy and not just showing some interest... So the next season I bought a DSD Upright hen and ditched the foam bodies, that hen brought in everything and not just taking a look but actually displaying right up to her, had one jump on her back to bred it and a number of hens wanting to fight her, next was the feeding hen and I have had hens come right up to her and look at the ground to see what she was "eating" and start feeding as well now enter the strutter, and I have used a strutter before, I have had success with him once you learn how to hunt him right. My next was the Leading hen and Jake. All I can say is I have never had the interaction between any other decoy and what happens with my DSD's birds are calm and at ease with these dekes and have had birds send better than an hour around them before they decided to walk off. Now not everyone is a fan of using decoys and that's fine, we each have the choice on how we wish to hunt. I have been able to have some great experiences with youth hunts, new hunters, bow hunters, videoing and all with using the DSD's. Now as I said they are not an every hunt thing, when I run & gun I may have my Jake and a hen along but depending on that setup they might just stay in the bag, I just do have them along, put me with another hunter in a field hunt and the dekes are pretty much going to be out, again depends on the hunt. And I also know people say how can you spend $$$ on decoys you don't even need them, and I will agree to some degree, it just depends on the hunt. I mentor/teach a lot and the ultimate goal is to get that hunter One on One with a gobbler up against a tree and calling and working a bird, but until we are at that stage I take them through the step to get them there.

There are a lot of decoys out there and some of the new ones don't look to bad in comparison but after the results I have seen with the DSD's it's all I'm going to use and recommend, we sell plenty of decoys at the store and everyone can make their own choice on them, but I'll stick with made in the USA and DSD every time!!

DSDeadly
DSDouble
DSDead
DSDone
DSDecoys!

MK M GOBL