OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Talking Turkey

Started by PEHunter, February 10, 2017, 08:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEHunter

I found this in a box the other day and it brought back alot of good memories from 30 years ago.  I thought it might do the same for some of you.  I've got Lee's Champion Gobble Box packed up also. I may just break it out this spring for old time sake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

Dang, that's cool. That's how I learned to call. My uncle had a Lee's Champion Gobble Box. He was my hero growing up. I've got a pic of him in my living room with a nice buck. People who see it think it must be a pic of a relative.  Hope to find one of those calls someday.  Thanks for posting that pic. I could quote that thing backwards and forwards when I was a kid.

SteelerFan

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 12, 2017, 07:12:29 PM
Dang, that's cool. That's how I learned to call. My uncle had a Lee's Champion Gobble Box. He was my hero growing up. I've got a pic of him in my living room with a nice buck. People who see it think it must be a pic of a relative.  Hope to find one of those calls someday.  Thanks for posting that pic. I could quote that thing backwards and forwards when I was a kid.
Why'd he have a buck in your living room? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

LOL. This pic is a copy of a big pic that hangs in Bass Pro at Springfield. I once told my wife I was gonna try and buy it so somehow she did this.

tha bugman

first turkey tape I ever listed to...still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that he had passed away....no telling what he would have done if he had lived longer.

Old Timer53

Remember those days well... thanks for posting
:icon_thumright:

silvestris

An interesting question is whether he would reap or not.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

davisd9

Old Ben Lee was a turkey hunter, he would do what he had to do to kill a bird within the confines of the law and his ethical standards.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hobbes

At one time I had a couple VCR tapes with Ben Lee.  He was bowhunting deer in one and turkey hunting in the other.  I really liked listening to him back in those days.

Rzrbac

I used to have the deer hunting video. The background music would play Taps before the shot. He only killed one nice buck on that video, the rest were dinks.  I believe he was using a Bear Whitetail 2 bow.  Did we all start out with one of those! ???

Sure wished I could have hunted with him.

silvestris

Quote from: davisd9 on February 15, 2017, 10:48:04 AM
Old Ben Lee was a turkey hunter, he would do what he had to do to kill a bird within the confines of the law and his ethical standards.

Many confuse legal with ethical.  It is legal to have sex with your best friend's girlfriend, but it is very unethical.  Something to think about when choosing one's method of hunting.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

davisd9

Quote from: silvestris on February 15, 2017, 01:11:06 PM

Many confuse legal with ethical.  It is legal to have sex with your best friend's girlfriend, but it is very unethical.  Something to think about when choosing one's method of hunting.

If you are married then it is illegal here in SC.

I think there is a huge difference in your analogy and what is being talked about.
Sleeping with a friend's girlfriend is overall looked down upon as immoral and wrong universally, where as crawling up on a gobbler with a fan is just something some people do not care for and do not think it should be allowed, not a universal immoral act by the population of the world.

I have never fanned a gobbler, but I also try not looking down my nose at those that do it. I personally am not a fan of blinds but if that is your thing and it fits within the law and YOUR standard of ethics then more power to you. If you are on property we can both hunt I will just circle the field you are set up on, at a safe distance for us both, and try to call in the bird and look him in the eye when I shoot him.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

kyturkeyhunter4

He was definitely one of my favorites

THattaway

Quote from: silvestris on February 15, 2017, 01:11:06 PM

silvestris,
How you can make that leap and use it in response to what you quoted davis as saying puzzles me. Puzzles me further that you could be so unethical and offensive by doing so. You owe an apology. Stick to the subject, this has nothing to do with someone supporting reaping or not. You asked a simple question so don't be surprised to hear folks say Ben Lee would reap. I am about 99% sure he would and I base that on stuff I heard him say and write about doing while turkey hunting. The man liked to kill turkeys.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles