turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Talking Turkey

Started by PEHunter, February 10, 2017, 08:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

The Indians also ran buffalo off of cliffs.  The Indian killed to survive. We hunt for sport. When the Indian failed he went hungry. When we we fail we go to the grocery store. Just something to think about when discussing ethics. I love the clean meat of wild animals but I will not break my code of ethics to kill one. If he is better than me he deserves to live. If I fail I guess I spend a few extra dollars at the local store.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BowBendr

Going back 40 years here...bear with me....
Ben Lee was a hoot and a well known story teller. A lot of the things he said were off-the-cuff. At seminars he clearly yanked chains and got laughs. A lot of that stuff is real easy to take out of context today, 25 years later.

I really do not think Ben would have fanned a turkey. If so, he would have done it and publicly talked about it. He talked a bunch about gobblers from he** and never mentioned creeping with a decoy as a tactic that I can remember. Other factors probably came into play and it probably would go down a little like this if he was asked:

Q: "Ben what do you think of fanning and would you ever try it" ?

B: "He** no, too dang fat, can't crawl that far on my  belly and the fan ain't big enough to hide me" !!

That's the Ben Lee I remember from 40 years ago....just my .02   ;D ;D ;D

davisd9

You can tell spring is near and hunters are antsy, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: silvestris on February 15, 2017, 06:35:07 PM
Whatever, Ben Lee was a great caller.  And you can be too if you will put out the effort.

How many of us have you ever heard call?

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

PEHunter

Boys...take the debate somewhere else.

I started this thread because it brought back alot of good memories of my dad and I learning to hunt turkeys 30 years ago.  We would drive down, camp and chase turkeys all over Sumter National Forrest in upstate SC every spring.  Neither one of us knew anything about calling turkeys, but I fell in love with it and would list to this tape over and over again.  Dad's gone now, and alot of our later memories weren't so good. But finding this tape brought back some of the best ones.  I hoped that it would do the same for some of you.

Be safe and good luck this spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: PEHunter on February 15, 2017, 09:39:40 PM

I started this thread because it brought back alot of good memories of my dad and I learning to hunt turkeys 30 years ago.  We would drive down, camp and chase turkeys all over Sumter National Forrest in upstate SC every spring.  Neither one of us knew anything about calling turkeys, but I fell in love with it and would list to this tape over and over again.  Dad's gone now, and alot of our later memories weren't so good. But finding this tape brought back some of the best ones.  I hoped that it would do the same for some of you.

SNF has some good hunting in it, hope to make the hour or so drive to it a few times this spring.

Rzrbac

It sure did. Kind of makes me sad to, I pretty much hunt by myself anymore.  Wished I could hunt with my grandpa some more, those are great memories.

THattaway

Quote from: PEHunter on February 15, 2017, 09:39:40 PM

Same experience as I had but maybe a few years earlier. Camped at Fire Tower hunt camp. There was a marked increase in turkey hunters about '84 in that area. Not sure what did it, maybe marketing or magazine articles but there was a wave of interest for a few years and a bunch of new hunters around. As a young teen I walked up on two hunters around mid morning (whom I might add had parked beside our truck and came in after us). I spoke to them and they mentioned a lot of hunters around. I said "yeah, it's all these dang NC hunters coming down" what I had often heard from my hunting friends. Then they curtly informed me they were from NC.  ::)
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles