OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Talking Turkey

Started by PEHunter, February 10, 2017, 08:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THattaway

And I wouldn't be surprised if he had done so. If you and others here think reaping is the first time folks have tried crawling with dekes then you are about 25 years behind things.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Rzrbac

Sure wished Ben was around to answer for himself. If he was I would drive to AL to ask him in person.

Bowguy

Quote from: davisd9 on February 15, 2017, 10:48:04 AM
Old Ben Lee was a turkey hunter, he would do what he had to do to kill a bird within the confines of the law and his ethical standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm ever see his seminars or ever hear what he talked about in em?

Rzrbac

I still remember hearing him on that cassette. There is a section where he spoke about shooting turkeys with rifles or other means. I'm pretty sure he believed in calling the bird in.

THattaway

Hmmm.....A quick search I just did yielded comments from several sites as such with Ben Rogers Lee quotes (in bold red italics):

"Some of Bens favorite quotes..."I love to hunt deer, and I hunt them with all legal weapons, all legal seasons. When they open up a deer rock chuckin season, I will be doing that to.""

"I never met a greater turkey hunter than the late Ben Rodgers Lee of Coffeeville, Alabama. Lee made one of the best, most-true quotes I ever had heard about hunting beat-up turkeys when he said, "When you try to hunt a turkey like this, you usually have to make one of two critical decisions. Do you want to call to the turkey, or do you want to kill it? Most of the time, you get the option to do one or the other, but not to do both. If you call to the turkey, you probably won't kill it. If you plan to kill the turkey, you probably don't need to call to him."
"
"Lee also believed that two men had a better chance at taking a tough tom than one man did, especially if the hunters wanted to take one of those sent-from-hell gobblers that would gobble his head off as he walked-away from you. "Once I know I'm hunting a gobbler like this, I'll hoot to him early in the morning to keep-up with his location," Lee explained. "Then I'll run through the woods and try to get ahead of the bird. I'll leave my buddy where we've heard the turkey gobbling. I'll ask him to give me 10 to 15 minutes to get into position before he starts calling to the turkey. Because the turkey will gobble as he walks to me and away from my buddy, I can get in the position to have that gobbler walk right in front of me, even though I've never called to him."
"

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Rzrbac

I remember the rock chunkin' comment.  I don't remember the others but I don't dispute them. I'm just going off memory from when I was about 13!  I can tell you this back then I would have tried anything he would have suggested.

May have to see if I can find a download of that cassette, sure wouldn't mind hearing it again.

THattaway

I ain't worried about it one way or the other, just being argumentative. I do think he was like most of us, the harder the turkey the harder and more stuff he would try to do to kill it. I ain't tried reaping and was flat repulsed when I first saw it. Even so, I doubt I would but can't say for sure I wouldn't ever try it at least once and under the right safe circumstances, simply for the thrill of it. I know for a fact that some folks were just as repulsed by gobble calls and 60 yard guns/loads when they first became popular.

Rzrbac

The reaping thing wouldn't be my cup of tea either. I'm not sure what to think of it. Probably no different than Indians wearing a deer skin over them. I just like calling them. I'm honestly not disappointed on days I don't kill as long as I can hear some good gobbling. IMO that's the best part of a turkey, his gobble!

davisd9

Quote from: Bowguy on February 15, 2017, 04:46:48 PM
Old Ben Lee was a turkey hunter, he would do what he had to do to kill a bird within the confines of the law and his ethical standards.

Also read his book.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

Quote from: davisd9 on February 15, 2017, 05:46:13 PM

Also read his book.
Not to say much negative but the seminar I watched him give was a little-if you don't get caught it's legal. Even laughed about it. I was told he was just trying to be a good old boy. Prob is in a seminar w mixed folks we gotta watch what we say. I never went to see him again. No disrespect to folks who love him. I was just very shocked

Rzrbac

Did he only have 1 book?  The 2 tapes I had when I was a kid were copies, not originals. My Dad didn't hunt and we didn't have much money so I wasn't exposed to a lot of stuff like that. Just listened to his tapes and had one deer hunting VHS. I was pretty much self taught but I listened to those tapes for years even after I started killing birds consistently. They finally broke.

davisd9

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 15, 2017, 06:05:09 PM
Did he only have 1 book?  The 2 tapes I had when I was a kid were copies, not originals. My Dad didn't hunt and we didn't have much money so I wasn't exposed to a lot of stuff like that. Just listened to his tapes and had one deer hunting VHS. I was pretty much self taught but I listened to those tapes for years even after I started killing birds consistently. They finally broke.

Sounds like we had similar raisin.

I only know of The Turkey Hunting World of Ben Lee. Could be another though.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: Bowguy on February 15, 2017, 05:54:57 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 15, 2017, 05:46:13 PM

Also read his book.

Not to say much negative but the seminar I watched him give was a little-if you don't get caught it's legal. Even laughed about it. I was told he was just trying to be a good old boy. Prob is in a seminar w mixed folks we gotta watch what we say. I never went to see him again. No disrespect to folks who love him. I was just very shocked

He shot his first turkey out of a tree, but one has to remember he killed it to eat not sport. I am sure Ben Lee did some things he should not have, I know I have. He was a character and a turkey hunter. A turkey hunter will do what he has to do within the law and his own ethics to kill a bird. There is always one that just gets under your skin and the poetry antics that many try to dream up have to be thrown out the door to kill him.

Bowguy

Wasn't anything about shooting birds outa trees. I was enjoying the seminar until he started w some of the stuff. I was a kid, never bought anything w his name on it after that.  The way you guys love him maybe I misread him but maybe the seminar I saw taught him how to tell/not tell stories. Coulda been attempts at redneck funny too.

silvestris

Whatever, Ben Lee was a great caller.  And you can be too if you will put out the effort.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game