turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Shell's different ones ..

Started by Greg Massey, February 07, 2017, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

How many of you carry different turkey shell's with you hunting? Like say your hunting woods and most shots have got to be close, do you feel the need to shoot a high dollar shell or one of the cheaper shell's that will get the job done. Also what about field hunting, i want the best shell's in my gun that day .. I think you need to set your gun up for more than one shell..your opinions please...It's like wood's maybe you want a good 2 oz. number 5 for that day hunt to help with cutting throw those small sapling you didn't see...

maytom

Switched to Winchester XR's last year. Those are the only shells I carry in my vest after patterning them. Some shells shoot to a different point of aim, also they pattern differently out of different chokes. I stick with one choke and shell.

dejake

i carry 2 different shells, and 2 different chokes.

1iagobblergetter

I hunt alot of fields and even before I fell in love with my Encore setup have always used the same shells when loading and not mix and matching. That's the reason I've patterned so much to find the combo (choke/shell)that works best for me and the way I hunt. I rarely shoot over 20yds but if need be 40yds is no problem.

RemingtonRules

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 07, 2017, 12:21:33 PM

It's like wood's maybe you want a good 2 oz. number 5 for that day hunt to help with cutting throw those small sapling you didn't see...

Huh? :TrainWreck1:

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 07, 2017, 12:46:51 PM
I hunt alot of fields and even before I fell in love with my Encore setup have always used the same shells when loading and not mix and matching. That's the reason I've patterned so much to find the combo (choke/shell)that works best for me and the way I hunt. I rarely shoot over 20yds but if need be 40yds is no problem.

X2!!

One Shell, One Gun, Done

Kill them birds up close at 15-17 yards, can't even think of the last bird I killed over 20. The gun will kill at the 40 but just not my thing...

MK M GOBL

TANK

I carry different loads. I don't see shooting a hevi load theat cost $5 when a Winchester supreme will more than do the job in the woods. I know my gun and how it'll pattern the shells.

tha bugman

I normally put the high dollar in 1st then some lower priced backups.

Spitten and drummen

I have a 3" 1-5/8 oz 20 ga tss in the pipe and chase it with 2 #7 hvy weights for back up.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wvmntnhick

Until I get the 20 loaded with TSS, I'll continue to use either the 12 with a 2 oz load of TSS or a 20 ga with Federal HW 7's. Not bouncing different shells in the same gun. One gun, one choke, one shell. Game over.

Fullfan

Quote from: dejake on February 07, 2017, 12:31:02 PM
i carry 2 different shells, and 2 different chokes.

I hope you are kidding
Don't gobble at me...

beakbuster10

Shells would be the absolutel last place to skimp. It's like skimping on broadheads for bow hunting. Your shell ultimately does the killing. For all the time and other money tied up in turkey hunting, I could not imagine worrying about the difference in a two dollar shell and a four dollar shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greencop01

:camohat: Federal 3rd Degree, 3" 12 Ga, Period !!!
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

BottomLand54

Like others have mentioned I believe simplicity is the best route! 1 shell, 1 choke, now finding that combo can get pricey.

I found for my last gun 3" magna blend 2oz 5,6,7 to be my shell. Now I have a new gun and the work begins! I don't pull the trigger much unless it's a good bird that being said a 5.00 shell is worth it to me. I don't even reuse a 20.00 arrow on another good buck! Hope this can help you.