turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Shell's different ones ..

Started by Greg Massey, February 07, 2017, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THattaway

One choke, one brand/style of shells in gun and in vest. May take a different gun the next trip with different shells though and have several set ups like many do these days. Outside that, they are all 40 yard guns with patterns to match a guy who gets excited. Plenty enough going on for me already with trying to get a turkey coming in to have to also worry about which choke or load is in the gun. It don't take but one "click" to humble you as it is.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

PEHunter

One shell only, and learn how to shoot it for any distance within my max range.  I use 3" 5s out of my 835 and 3" 1.5oz HW #7 out of my 20ga.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Gobble!

One choke and one type of shell. After patterning TSS I have no desire to put anything else in my gun.

J.D. Shellnut

I hunt with longbeard 3.5'' #6's. But I do keep three just regular 2 3/4 #6's in my vest. For what purpose I don't really know and I've never used them but I got them! lol Just like in my quiver when I'm deer hunting. I shoot mechanicals but keep one fixed blade for finishing shots or for hogs and coyotes.
60% of the time it works every time!

Cut N Run

Always use the same shell and one choke. Turkey shells are for shooting and it is worth $5 per shot for me to get clean, efficient kills.  My gun/ammo/choke will handle anything inside of normal hunting ranges & if it didn't, I wouldn't have it.  If the bird is in range, I can kill it, anywhere I hunt. 

I have a habit of carrying more ammo than I'll need, but if those ISIS paratroopers ever invade where I'm hunting, they're gonna run into a hot swarm of #6 or #7 Hevi shot.  Just sayin'

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 09, 2017, 04:05:50 PM
Always use the same shell and one choke. Turkey shells are for shooting and it is worth $5 per shot for me to get clean, efficient kills.  My gun/ammo/choke will handle anything inside of normal hunting ranges & if it didn't, I wouldn't have it.  If the bird is in range, I can kill it, anywhere I hunt. 

I have a habit of carrying more ammo than I'll need, but if those ISIS paratroopers ever invade where I'm hunting, they're gonna run into a hot swarm of #6 or #7 Hevi shot.  Just sayin'

Jim
:TooFunny:

THattaway

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 09, 2017, 04:05:50 PM

Jim
Tell it brother. I carry 10 rounds every hunt. This after previously carrying much less and having walked out of the woods with one round left a couple times and thankfully, a tom. Ditto for arrows. Have come close to emptying the quiver a couple times on deer. Most of that was in my youth but I took it to heart and have always been prepared since.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Dtrkyman

Back in the day I chased numbers for the ultimate shell...anymore I shoot whatever I have left...luckily my Benelli shoots straight and every load I've tested is good enough to 40.  Hevi has always been best but when I run low I will try some longbeards.  Bought some junk Rem. lead turkey loads at Wally World for home defense when I lived out west one summer...close out for like 5 bux and killed 5 birds with those loads...would have killed more but the buffer was leaking all over and I don't trust them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeke632

I carry a couple of cheap dove shells. I hunt public land. On occasion someone will walk in on me while I'm on a turkey.  I completely realize it's public land and they have every right to be there, it's theirs as much as it's everybody else's.  It's aggravating when they know that the turkey that they've heard has been heard by the guy that they parked next to....and is probably trying to kill it. 
More than a few times I've put the cheap shells in and shot up in the air.  Lay around a little while and that turkey will sometimes get going again.

I've got no problem if someone hears a turkey way off and walk into one that someone else's is already on, not knowing it.  I get aggravated when people know that someone else is already in a spot and they just don't care, park in sight of another vehicle and go hunting. It's not safe, it causes anger, it's just not right.

Maybe I'm just old and crotchety

bbcoach

For me, it's a Pure Gold and 3 1/2 Hevi 7's for me.  No need for anything else.  Tried, True and Tested on numerous Heads!  No floppage, if I do my job.

perrytrails

Quote from: zeke632 on February 10, 2017, 10:35:35 AM
I carry a couple of cheap dove shells. I hunt public land. On occasion someone will walk in on me while I'm on a turkey.  I completely realize it's public land and they have every right to be there, it's theirs as much as it's everybody else's.  It's aggravating when they know that the turkey that they've heard has been heard by the guy that they parked next to....and is probably trying to kill it. 
More than a few times I've put the cheap shells in and shot up in the air.  Lay around a little while and that turkey will sometimes get going again.

I've got no problem if someone hears a turkey way off and walk into one that someone else's is already on, not knowing it.  I get aggravated when people know that someone else is already in a spot and they just don't care, park in sight of another vehicle and go hunting. It's not safe, it causes anger, it's just not right.

Maybe I'm just old and crotchety

Now there's a man who's done time in public hunting.

You may be old and crotchety zeke, but I hear ya. People will walk right in on you with no respect or safety in mind.

You remind me of my dad, I can't stop laughing now.

To add to the subject, pattern your gun at 40, stick with the best shell.

Set up where that bird can't see you till he's 25-30 yards if you can. Make him come in looking with his head up.

Same with bow hunting. Practice at 40-even 50 yards. Never shoot over 30. Anything under that is a chip shot.

If anything is worth your time, don't skimp on equipment ... trucks, wife, etc :)

surehuntsalot

always got some low brass shells with me for snakes and as in the above post, if you come in on me trying to work the bird that I'm already working, well you are not going to get him.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

owlhoot

I carry different types, not for the price factor and they have to hit the same poi though .
Hw7 are always in the chamber it seems though no matter timber or field. 
Backups snakes  or zombies?  Double barrel guns I would definitely have two different loads.
But throwing a lead load in for close quarters shooting situations makes sense.
If I used longbeard I would switch to double X  or other brands for close stuff.

Gooserbat

My set up shoots a volleyball size pattern at 20 yards and still prints 250-265 in the 10" at 40 yards.  I am thinking I'll let it be.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 11, 2017, 04:09:45 PM
My set up shoots a volleyball size pattern at 20 yards and still prints 250-265 in the 10" at 40 yards.  I am thinking I'll let it be.
That's awesome as long as there aren't any significant gaps in the pattern