OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Shell's different ones ..

Started by Greg Massey, February 07, 2017, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naylor649

Farmboy27

I kill a lot of birds that would be just as dead with dove loads as with magnums. But I can't see the future to know what shot I'll have on a bird and the darn things won't stick around long enough for me to switch shells once I do know. So I pick a load I have confidence in and stick with it. I have enough things to worry about, let alone making sure I have the right shell in the gun.

tha bugman

my mentor told me "Don't skimp on the shells son.."

Happy

Whatever you choose don't buy into the hype on the box. Pattern it and keep shots within its effective range both for pattern density and energy.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

gordongekko

I never know exactly where I'll strike a bird, may be in a field or may be in the woods...so I setup 1 shell and one choke, and know how it shoots from 5 yards to 55....   don't over complicate it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
In God we trust; all others pay cash.

Marc

I am blowing way more in gas than I ever will in shells...  I purchased about 4 boxes of 1 3/8 oz #6 Hevi-Shot, that will likely last me for years to come...

I look at like this, driving up and back probably cost me between $30-$40, and I am not going to worry about saving a "special" shotgun shell for a more difficult shot.

And, more than once, I have been in tight quarters (where my shots would be close), and moved to head off a bird in more open areas...  I do not want to mess with trying to switch shells and chokes at this time...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dejake

No, I'm not kidding.  If I switch up, and am going to be set up in thick stuff, I don't want to use my HW7 with the flite control wad.  If that wad hits anything in the first few yards, the whole shot pattern is thrown off.

Fullfan

Quote from: dejake on February 08, 2017, 04:27:19 AM
No, I'm not kidding.  If I switch up, and am going to be set up in thick stuff, I don't want to use my HW7 with the flite control wad.  If that wad hits anything in the first few yards, the whole shot pattern is thrown off.

So you are saying you carry an additional choke tube and shells in the woods when you are hunting ??
Don't gobble at me...

Cove

These type threads never cease to amaze me.  ;D
:TrainWreck1:

trkehunr93

I've already got enough to think about, having to change out shells based off of terrain is more than I want on my mind when I think I might be pulling the trigger.  To each his own though!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Cove on February 08, 2017, 09:53:17 AM
These type threads never cease to amaze me.  ;D
:TrainWreck1:
What we need to remember not all people hunt the same type of woods or terrain. Some people may hunt a pine plantation, woods with no fields with very little pasture ground. Some people have to hunt mountain terrain. It takes a different strategy to hunt different locations and habitat. So let's understand why we may take more than one shell or more than one choke. It's no different than you taking more than one call . What you want to make sure of is how all your equipment is working and how to use it. So a train wreck is a persons with a closed mine on how all of us have to hunting across this country.

buzzardroost

Well I can never tell if I'll be working a bird in an open area or in the woods. Ideally you could push a button like a safety and change your choke constriction at a moments notice without much movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

When I pick a shell to shoot, I am thinking about the worst case scenario. I put too much time, money, effort into turkey hunting to be skimming on the most important item for the moment of truth. I have one type of shell in my gun and it is for all situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

Federal Heviweight 3-1.5-7's, no matter where I hunt.

Rio Fan

I feel very confident shooting 3 or 3 1/2 inch #5's with my gun/choke combo in any terrain I might hunt in.