OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any birds from last year that you're after this year?

Started by northms, February 06, 2017, 10:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

Do you have any birds that gave you the slip multiple times last year that you're anxious to get after again? I had a bird on our property that defied death several times and was always henned up--even late in the season.

I'm hoping to get a crack at him again this year.

dejake

Sure am.  He'll be 5 years old this year.  Been watching him and his brother since they were 2 year olds.

jonathan creason

There's one on a farm I hunt that I hope to get a shot at this year.  Ground dragging beard as thick as my wrist, obviously the cock of the walk out there.  Rushed a shot on him last year and wiffed.  Saw him again a couple of weeks later but couldn't get him to break away from his strutting zone.  Dad got a look at him during deer season, so he's still around.

northms

I had the bird I'm after at full strut 50 yards through the woods but he wouldn't come any closer.  He had about 5 hens with him and didn't move 100 yards either way for two hours after fly down with them. Eventually they took him away. But he put on quite a show strutting and gobbling.

Happy

I learned the hard way not to get to hung up on one bird. I take them as they come now. No use trying to force things when other birds are perfectly willing to die.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

catman529

Yes, any and every longbeard walking in the woods where I hunt. I can't tell one from the other, but they're all on my list. I only get to kill 4 of em though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I'll be after any of the Jake's I let live last year.....

Greg Massey

I killed the main 3 birds i was after last year. One big Dominant bird that i started hunting opening day, killed him the last week of season. Saw several young birds last year so i will just take what comes my way, agree i don't get hung up on just one bird until i see how my season is going and what's available. Pulled camera cards Saturday and had a group of 12 long beards and a group of 8 Jake's...So i'm happy from what i saw on the cards...

BB30

Yes, had a bird I have hunted for 2 years now this will be year three. I have missed him twice once last season and once the season before. I missed him last year the last day of our Ms season with a 25 yd chip shot, murdered a nice sapling right in front of me that I never saw. Missed him two years ago opening morning at 30 yds still not sure how I managed to miss him that time. He has a Halo around him. Hopefully this year is they year. I was worried he hadn't made it through as I had not seen him during deer season unlike the previous years but he has shown back up in the last two weeks.

Fullfan

Quote from: Happy on February 06, 2017, 11:07:34 AM
I learned the hard way not to get to hung up on one bird. I take them as they come now. No use trying to force things when other birds are perfectly willing to die.

Bingo.... Watched a guy burn up 2 weeks in Missouri years back chasing one bird. Told him on day 3 or 4 to get away from that bird. He did not and lost 10 days to the same bird.
Don't gobble at me...

buzzardroost

Got one on my property that eluded me a few times last year. I shot 2 thinking it was him but when I rolled them over I could tell by the spurs it wasn't. Quit hunting him because I didn't want to take more than 2 birds off that property. It's back on this year, he's on camera a lot this year.

buzzardroost

Quote from: catman529 on February 06, 2017, 11:19:04 AM
Yes, any and every longbeard walking in the woods where I hunt. I can't tell one from the other, but they're all on my list. I only get to kill 4 of em though.

Catman, do like I do and head one state down South, add a bird or two to that four!

2eagles

It's beyond me how the heck you guys can tell one tom from another, let alone from one year to the next. To me, they all look alike. When I go hunting, I'm happy to get an opportunity at any tom. I don't hold grudges on a bird that outsmarted me.

wvmntnhick

I'm after every bird that gave me the slip last year. OH yeah, that's every bird that I didn't shoot last year. That would literally be any bird that decides to play along this year. Called several in last year. Didn't get to seal the deal on any of them. So long as it's not a jake, I'm letting it fly.

Being totally honest, late season a jake may make the cut if I've not got a bird in my possession by then. Love hunting them but love eating them almost as much.

fountain2