Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any birds from last year that you're after this year?

Started by northms, February 06, 2017, 10:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Quote from: buzzardroost on February 06, 2017, 07:08:27 PM
Quote from: catman529 on February 06, 2017, 11:19:04 AM
Yes, any and every longbeard walking in the woods where I hunt. I can't tell one from the other, but they're all on my list. I only get to kill 4 of em though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catman, do like I do and head one state down South, add a bird or two to that four!

I've considered it before. I also might get the permit for Fort Campbell and add a 5th bird to my Tennessee limit.

fountain2

Volgobbler

I never thought you could tell the difference in gobblers either  but you  can. Last year I had a huge Tom showing up on my camera a lot. Then opening day came and was set up and had 4 toms in the field. Three  regular sized ones and  big boy. The 3 came in pretty good to decoys and calling. He stayed back and  waited. Finally took one of the 3 and thought I would get him another time. Didn't see him again except  on camera

Naylor649

Oh I have one. Stubborn dude hung on me more than once. This year he will be in my fryer. Or at least I hope haha.

Cut N Run

The biggest bird by the horse farm eluded me and survived the Winter (so far).  I've got something for him in a couple of months that sounds a lot like BOOM!

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

appalachianassassin

nope.... I, or one of my friends, kill every longbeard I know about pretty much every year. very next year, right back slam full of longbeards. if you think you've been hunting the same turkey for 5 years ive got some ocean front property in Tennessee for id love to sell you.

JLH

Quote from: appalachianassassin on February 10, 2017, 04:00:45 AM
nope.... I, or one of my friends, kill every longbeard I know about pretty much every year. very next year, right back slam full of longbeards. if you think you've been hunting the same turkey for 5 years ive got some ocean front property in Tennessee for id love to sell you.

I just don't know what to say about this.....

But I can promise you that I, and several others on this site  have hunted the same bird for multiple seasons....that is absolute fact.

dejake

davisd9

I killed a bird last year I hunted for three seasons. It is easy to identify a bigger, dominant bird, their routine is pretty much the same every year.

Only birds I am going after this year is whatever was left from last year and the new two year olds. Hope to find another old boy that will make for some interesting battles between us.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Double B

I'm on one from last year that eluded me on public a couple times.  I agree you can identify some by gobble, roost area and patterns.  But there should be lots of 2 year-olds and I'm an equal opportunity offender.   :turkey2:
Followed by buzzards

THattaway

I always have a bird that gave me a slip last year. Some of the best pre-season scouting you can do is with a gun in hand the previous season. Just pay attention. I have hunted birds multiple years many times. As far as being able to say for a fact, well one stands out more than the rest. This public bird had a beard that hung more like a neck tie flat from front to chest and fairly wide. Had encounters with the usually henned up, flat long bearded king of that river bottom for 3 years till I fooled him working back to roost one late season evening. No doubt in my mind he was the same bird throughout those seasons, still got the beard in the box.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Spurs Up

Quote from: Fullfan on February 06, 2017, 06:58:06 PM
Quote from: Happy on February 06, 2017, 11:07:34 AM
I learned the hard way not to get to hung up on one bird. I take them as they come now. No use trying to force things when other birds are perfectly willing to die.

Bingo.... Watched a guy burn up 2 weeks in Missouri years back chasing one bird. Told him on day 3 or 4 to get away from that bird. He did not and lost 10 days to the same bird.

That's my experience as well. If I can't connect within 3 days, I probably won't. And, unless he's the only show in town, I'm looking for another bird or going unconventional.

Ihuntoldschool

quavers59

Last Spring-- I had a New Jersey gobbler defeat me 3 times! He roosted in the same grove of trees. I know where he flies down and I know the direction that an old hen came from to pick him up.  This Spring, I am going to try to set-up between his roost and where that hen walked in from. I hope he is still around this Spring.

jblackburn

I just hope I can find another SE Louisiana bird to hunt . . .  :turkey2:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.