Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any birds from last year that you're after this year?

Started by northms, February 06, 2017, 10:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

There was a jerk of a bird the last few years, always roosted in the same tree, always gobbled a ton on the limb, always sat in the tree 1-2hrs after other birds flew down. He had an uncanny ability to either stay up there long enough to see other birds die and fly another direction, let the flock get safely to the middle of a field and fly to join them out of range of cover, or he would simply find something amiss and drift off silent into the extremely thick cover behind his roost zone..

We finally did him in by running a split set over calling from the front pushed him back into the cover where a buddy sat and stayed silent.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FullChoke

I have a public land bird that is probably 4 years old now that was a better turkey than I was a turkey hunter last year. Had him very close a number of times, but just couldn't work out the right scenario. I love big, old public land gobblers.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

LaLongbeard

I don't have a specific gobbler I'm after this season but I have hunted the same one 3 years in a row (several years back) hard hunted public land gobbler that roosted in the same longleaf at the corner of a pasture that was the NF boundary line. Old log road was only 300 yards from his tree so he got a lot of attention from hunters. He'd gobble awhile then pitch out into pasture and stand just over a rise were you couldn't see him and he'd strut and gobble all morning,he had a rope of a beard.Early in a season you might find him in the swamp next to the pasture once pressure got bad he never left the pasture and it was hopeless.I tried everything I knew at the time so did everyone else. After the third year I hunted him I never saw or heard him again old age deer hunter coyote? Who knows I do know it was the same gobbler and even though I never shot him I learned  more from him than  any other gobbler.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

owlhoot

Any of them that want to volunteer to take a trip in the turkey vest and to the dinner table that turned down the invitation last time ! :)

TURKEYWHACKER

We found a bird on Youth Weekend last spring. He would scream at you early, then go silent till around 10 or 11. He would then torment us till the 1:00pm shut down time. This bird would spend all day on a private land pasture inside a public WMA. Luckily I tagged out early and wasn't punished by him. My friend and my Dad both hunted him religiously, especially my friend. He would call in sick to work to try and tag this bird. We know he survived the season ( barring any poachers ) because we watched him through binos at quitting time on the final day of the season. The gobbler was dubbed "Pablo" by my friend ( as in Pablo Picasso ) because of the massive paintbrush of a beard he sports.

THattaway

Quote from: appalachianassassin on February 10, 2017, 04:00:45 AM
nope.... I, or one of my friends, kill every longbeard I know about pretty much every year. very next year, right back slam full of longbeards. if you think you've been hunting the same turkey for 5 years ive got some ocean front property in Tennessee for id love to sell you.
I got a feeling them words are gonna taste mighty bitter one of these days.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Clif Owen

Yeah..pretty much every bird I was after last year..I'm still after. I think I heard one die but the guy may have missed. I hope I have better cards this deal.

Rex

"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

BottomLand54

I have 2 birds in particular both are roughly 4-5 this year and both made it through season, I blew the opportunity ity on both last year by hunter error. Yes I will adnit the monster beard dragger roughly 25-28 lbr came I. Quietly behind me and I sit up to look around and he seen me. The other bird was Henned up and I made a move on him not knowing he was so close and they seen us and took off. I still tagged out last year but I hope to get these 2 birds this year. Had 5 nice ones come say hey during deer season!

bornagain64

Not sure it is the same bird, but they are related. Several of us hunt a WMA and have had multiple run ins with a bird in the same general area. He would alway give us the slip, fly down and go the other way, come in quiet and bust us or be hened up. Many times he would give you a couple of courtesy gobbles and you would think maybe today.
We named him Einstien. Every year when one of where drawn for that area we would ask, are you gonna look up Einstien.
That bird either died of old age or is still out there.

I hate turkeys

7 Jakes last year in a group that's 7 two year olds this year. A turkey disaster in the making.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith