turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any advice for a Novice?

Started by GlockGirl, December 22, 2016, 07:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlockGirl

I am brand new to turkey hunting, or hunting at all for that matter. I am doing my best to learn as much as possible. I am very fortunate to have an AMAZING Mentor who has been teaching me to call so hopefully I will be somewhat ready for the spring. Do any of you have any advice for a Novice as to what I should be working on? What sounds, calls etc? Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

Bolandstrutters

Sounds like you are on the right track.  Do as much research as you can, there is endless information out there.  I would really concentrate on a basic hen yelp.  What kind of call have you been practicing with?  Also scouting and learning where turkeys want to be is equally as important.  You cant kill birds that arent there.

dejake

Best advice I can pass along is, 85% of turkey hunters call too much.  The hard part is figuring out when NOT to call.

guesswho

My advice is have fun and don't get discouraged.   Just starting out in today's times Its easy to become dependent on certain aides.   If that's what someone likes then more power to them.   As a newbie i'd recommend trying different styles and draw your own conclusions as to what you enjoy more.  For some of us there's nothing like sitting with your back to a tree with a call and gun/bow.   Others enjoy sitting in a blind watching turkeys come to decoys.   Choose what you find the most enjoyable and don't let internet hunters determine how you rate your success.  Always remember that most advice you get from the Internet is worth every penny you pay for it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

This could really get interesting,...based on past discussions of this topic.

A quick summary of my perspective:  There are some very basic turkey hunting calling and hunting strategies, and your mentor will guide you in the right direction on those.  There are also some very specific strategies that apply to a whole array of situations,...and also to what, where, and when you are hunting. 

For example, your calling and hunting strategy for chasing public-lands Merriam's gobblers in the west will likely be very different than that of pursuing a small-tract Eastern gobbler somewhere. 

Learn the basics first.  Experience in the field is the best teacher for those specific situations. 

ferocious calls

Develop a love for the birds. The rest will fall into place over time. Keep it fun. Good luck!

guesswho

Good example are the last few posts.  Between Gobblenut and myself we have over 100 years of turkey hunting experience.  But yet we differ a lot of times on strategies because where each of us hunt is totally different.   Plus he's a little senile. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on December 22, 2016, 08:28:31 AM
Good example are the last few posts.  Between Gobblenut and myself we have over 100 years of turkey hunting experience.  But yet we differ a lot of times on strategies because where each of us hunt is totally different.   Plus he's a little senile.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  ...Somehow I had a feeling a wise-a$$ comment was on the way.... :toothy12:

Gamblinman

Patience, patience, patience. Give that gobbler time to work to you. If he answers your calls early, he'll be back to check on you.

Listen to the other hens and mimic what they are doing.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

SinGin

Happy

Don't get discouraged. Turkey hunting has many highs and lows. Enjoy the process and be observant. You can learn a lot just by paying attention to what is happening in the woods and with turkeys. Above all else have fun. The most dissapointing day in the woods can turn into the best in an instant as long as your out there trying.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

Tip #1
Hunt where there are turkeys. Sounds stupid, but a lot of wasted time and discouraging trips are a result of not finding areas that are holding birds. Spend time scouting / listening before the season.

Tip #2
If you can see a bird, he has already been looking your way. Turkeys have a remarkable ability to pinpoint your location from your calling. Be extra, extra careful about your movements - like laying a call down, picking up your gun or shifting your point of aim, etc.

Tip #3
Know your shotgun. Pattern your gun. Know where and how it shoots. Try to find the best shell / choke combo for YOUR gun. Try to limit your shots to 40 yards or less - but don't let them get TOO close.

Tip #4
You can learn a lot on the internet. YouTube videos, forums like this etc.guesswho said it best, some information is worth more than other.

Tip #5
Hunt safe / Have FUN!

sasquatch1

on top of all that's been said, go hunt places that have a lot of birds. It will help shorten your learning curve. It'll give you more encounters, faster, which will add up to more experience over a shorter time period.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: GlockGirl on December 22, 2016, 07:59:16 AM
I am brand new to turkey hunting, or hunting at all for that matter. I am doing my best to learn as much as possible. I am very fortunate to have an AMAZING Mentor who has been teaching me to call so hopefully I will be somewhat ready for the spring. Do any of you have any advice for a Novice as to what I should be working on? What sounds, calls etc? Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful world of turkey hunting. It can become a lifelong obsession but a very good one as far as obsessions go. It's good to hear that you have a mentor. That can mean so much, especially in your early days.

You've been given some excellent advice already. Here's a link to an article that I wrote for Turkey & Turkey Hunting Magazine many years ago that you may find interesting. http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/hunting-tactics/endofseason

While it discusses "end of season advice" it's really advice for a successful career in hunting these wily birds.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

turkeyfoot

Do some scouting not just at daylight if you can either be where he is headed or get between where he is and wants to go some simple yelps and clucks may get the job done you don't have to be a pro