OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any advice for a Novice?

Started by GlockGirl, December 22, 2016, 07:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ol bob

Quote from: Gamblinman on December 22, 2016, 08:54:02 AM
Patience, patience, patience. Give that gobbler time to work to you. If he answers your calls early, he'll be back to check on you.

Listen to the other hens and mimic what they are doing.
The best advice you will ever get.

Bowguy

Quote from: SteelerFan on December 22, 2016, 09:12:37 AM
Tip #1
Hunt where there are turkeys. Sounds stupid, but a lot of wasted time and discouraging trips are a result of not finding areas that are holding birds. Spend time scouting / listening before the season.

This is turkey hunting 101. Hunt where the birds are. The best calling in the world can't call a bird that isn't there.
All great advice as always from some of the best. Gonna be a great season Glock Girl.

renegade19

Remember that the turkey will win the encounter many, many, many times. His whole life is based on not getting killed and eaten.  Respect and salute him when he wins and then try hard to shoot his butt the next time.

Appreciate the beauty of the hunt even if you don't kill a bird.  It's not all about killing.  Sunrises, gobbles on the roost.  Doesn't get any better.

Learn a locator call.  Your choice.  It'll help.

Learn to use a mouth call. 

Don't be afraid to move if you need to.  It'll help.  (Some may not agree with this.)

Shoot and pattern your gun until you trust it 100% and find out how far you can for sure kill one the first shot.

NEVER, EVER underestimate their eyesight.  EVER.

Don't move, don't blink, don't shake when he's coming in.  (Good luck with not shaking!)

Have fun, enjoy the experience.  It's by far the best hunting I've ever tried.  Hands down!

guesswho

Quote from: renegade19 on December 22, 2016, 10:58:56 AM
NEVER, EVER underestimate their eyesight.  EVER.
And give his ears as much or more credit than you do his eyes.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

The Cohutta Strutter

Glock Girl,welcome. Being your going after your first one here's one way to consider. Locate you a good sized flock with at least 2-3 gobblers in it just before the season. From that point on start studying them and stay with that flock until you kill one. Learn their roosting spots, learn how they range out from their roost, learn where the fresh feeding sign is in their daily range, learn likely nesting areas,etc.In short, learn as much as you can about that particular flock. This will help you develop a sense of how turkey's behave and that will benefit you in the long run. Don't get to hung up on calling but you do want good calling. You may find that being persistence is what will kill you your first turkey. It did for me,lol. Get after them hard and it will happen for you.
Anybody seen America lately?

ChiefBubba

Quote from: guesswho on December 22, 2016, 08:17:45 AM
My advice is have fun and don't get discouraged.   Just starting out in today's times Its easy to become dependent on certain aides.   If that's what someone likes then more power to them.   As a newbie i'd recommend trying different styles and draw your own conclusions as to what you enjoy more.  For some of us there's nothing like sitting with your back to a tree with a call and gun/bow.   Others enjoy sitting in a blind watching turkeys come to decoys.   Choose what you find the most enjoyable and don't let internet hunters determine how you rate your success.  Always remember that most advice you get from the Internet is worth every penny you pay for it.

Some of the best advice right there for any kind of hunting not just Turkeys. Chief

Greg Massey

Hunt were turkeys are and spend as much time in the woods as possible.. Also don't waste your money on cheap calls, buy good quality calls...Listen to the turkeys and learn the basics...let the turkeys tell you what they want....don't over call and lot of patience's. Also make sure your gun is shooting good...Time in the WOODS AND LOT"S OF PATIENCE"S.............

HFultzjr

Check if a blind will work for your mentor's style of hunting.
A great asset for a beginner, as it "hides" mistakes such as moving, head turning, helps with excitement (Turkey Fever). Plus a good shooting stick used from a blind helps a lot with "Turkey Fever". Most of all have fun. Some of my best times have been the ones that got away!
:fud: :OGani:

GlockGirl

Wow, thanks everyone! Such great advice. I can't wait for spring to get here :)

marshboy

Also, there is a ton of very good information on this website.
Spend some time, if you have it, reading old threads.
I would pay particular attention to anything guesswho or GobbleNut posts...both have a lot of insight that will be useful.
And, don't get too bogged down in the choice of guns/chokes/loads...there are lot of more important aspects of turkey hunting.
Greg

greencop01

:camohat:  The best teachers are the birds themselves , listen to them they have a rhythm to their calling. Watch the birds they will teach you how to kill them. And read good turkey books as by Kenny Morgan, Lovett Williams and John MacDonald. Good Luck and above all be Patient.

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

turkeyfoot

One thing I'll add that I've seen new hunters do is focus to hard on the gobble and not realize that the hens may come in first and get caught squirming around either hens bust them or a non gobbling tom sneaks in and catches them

GobbleNut

Quote from: marshboy on December 23, 2016, 06:31:14 AM
I would pay particular attention to anything guesswho or GobbleNut posts...both have a lot of insight that will be useful.
Greg

Hey Greg,...Questionable advice,...I know one of those two guys is a real Goober.   :toothy12: :newmascot: :toothy12:

Tail Feathers

Learn to call decently, scout, scout scout and set up in a good spot, well hidden for an ambush.  Be patient with them.  Turkeys live on turkey time, not people time.
It is a blast, hopefully you can do a few hunts with your mentor before you venture out on your own.  Have fun with it!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

quavers59

So many good replys from members here!  Scout well a month before opening day on 4 Saturdays and a few Sundays. Check well in those hardwoods around streams where hens could be nesting.  Use that 1 caller that you feel most comfortable with and add more as you go.    Luck to you.