turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any advice for a Novice?

Started by GlockGirl, December 22, 2016, 07:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perrytrails

Best advice I can give is setups. Most of my hunting is in hardwoods, big ridges.

Be on the same level or above the bird before you call. I'm not saying they won't go down hill, just putting odds in your favor.  It's easier to get him to come up hill or straight to you.

Set up where that bird has to be within 30 yards of you before he can see you. Keep your gun pointed in the last direction he gobbled.
Listen for him walking, drumming etc... when you set up like this as soon as you see the bird, he's in range. Make him come looking for you with his head up!!

The first time that head pops up, don't move your gun, he's looking for movement of the hen.

He will bring it down and start walking, that's when you line up the gun.

Patience patience patience ... as long as he's closing the distance he's interested. Once he's answered you a few times and worked his way toward you, be quiet, soft purrs and scratching in the leaves will put him in your lap.

Everyone has different methods and tactics. You will develop your own over time.

Sometimes he just won't commit, usually that may be the case of over calling, hunting pressure and he may have been shot at a time or two.

In that case relocate, circle left or right calling as you go. Sometimes moving 40 yards left or right, even away from him will peak his interest and ad realism to your set up.

Good luck, it's very addicting to match wits with that old tom.

GobbleNut

Quote from: perrytrails on January 04, 2017, 05:10:16 AM
Keep your gun pointed in the last direction he gobbled.

This is an excellent point to be made for beginners.  I have seen more gobblers get away from inexperienced hunters because they were not adjusting their positioning,...themselves and their guns,...to an approaching gobbler heard in the distance.  We have engrained the idea of remaining still when a bird is coming so much that it seems a lot of newbies are afraid to make those adjustments in their positioning needed to kill a gobbler when he finally gets there for fear that he will see them.

Turkeys are wary, but they are not magicians.  They can't see through trees and brush between you and them as they approach.  If a bird is gobbling as he comes, or otherwise letting you know where he is at, make adjustments in your positioning while he is on his way so that you are in shooting position and with gun pointed in his direction before he gets where he can see you.