turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rare Smoke Winged Eastern.

Started by Ol timer, April 26, 2016, 07:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol timer

I just like to share my hunt that took place here in my state of NJ.In the fall of 2015 while bow hunting I came across a Turkey that had silver of gray wings, I have saw a few all smoke hens over the last years but not a bird with just the wings being gray. Last week while scouting my areas there was a flock of birds in a field and in the mix was the silver winged bird, my mind was made up at that point that my season opener was to try and get this bird. Sunday afternoon I went out to my spot to see if and Turkeys were in the field at 5:30 or so the silver winged Tom came out with a Hen, I glassed them till dark and watched where they went into a corner of the field to roost for the night. Monday morning could not come soon enough as my hopes were high to get a shot at the Bird in the morning. At 5:00am I was in my spot with my bow in hand set up close to where I thought the Tom might be, the sky got light and I made a fly down cackle and the Tom sounded off on the roost, within seconds I heard him pitch down and he gobbled hard. I hit my slate pot call with a few soft clucks and waited for a response, after a 5 min. silence the head of the Tom was in sight he was alone and looking for his hen. I had no decoys out and don't hunt out of a blind I had great cover and was ready for the bird to get within shooting range, he came in silent and was aware something might be wrong but he kept coming at 20 yards I drew my bow on him but he kept moving closer, now at 15 yards he was straight in front of me and I stopped him with a yelp from my mouth call and released the arrow which found it mark and the bird went down fast and hard. After I walked up to the Tom and took a moment to reflect what a great thing we as hunters have to be able to hunt these beautiful birds. I was moved to say the least looking at this one of a kind Turkey. After 35 seasons of hunting Wild turkeys I'm happy to have the one that will get mounted and be displayed proudly in my home. here is what the Tom looks like below. 

Ol timer

turkey buster

Awesome hunt and a awesome turkey. Congratulations

eorlando

Awesome bird. Congrats. Make sure you send him to a reputable turkey taxidermist. I can't wait to see the mount.

Ol timer

Quote from: eorlando on April 26, 2016, 08:00:21 AM
Awesome bird. Congrats. Make sure you send him to a reputable turkey taxidermist. I can't wait to see the mount.
In my freezer and then off to Hazle Creek.

tomstopper

That is a beautiful bird. Congrats

Spring Creek Calls

Beautiful bird! Cally will be pleased to mount that one.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Tail Feathers

Congrats!  Never seen one like that.  Very cool looking. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sand Man

Awesome.  I've never seen one.  Very cool.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

honker22

Now that's a new one for me!  Congrats on a beautiful bird!
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Ol timer

Here is another picture where you can see that the fantail also has feathers with gray on them. Hes is a good representation of a solid 3 year old bird.

chatterbox

Congrats on a bird of a lifetime! :icon_thumright:

Tunaguy

" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Double B

Congratulations on an awesome gobbler!
Followed by buzzards

Ol timer

I spoke with my local f&g biologist and he has never came across seeing a smoked winged turkey, I'm hoping someone on here can tell me more about the genetics or if they ever witnessed anything like it.