OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can't figure out the no flopping argument.

Started by Farmboy27, April 05, 2016, 07:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

I'm not knocking anyone for using hevi shot or heavy weight shells because I use them too. What I can't figure out is how everyone always says they are better because the birds they shoot with them don't even flop. I was born and raised on a farm and have been involved in hundreds of chicken and turkey killings. Every one was/is decapitated and everyone flops!  How much deader can you get than having no head?  Lack of flopping comes from body trama, not from head trauma. Just because a bird flops doesn't mean that the shell isn't effective anymore than it means the hatchet wasn't effective.

davisd9

The stunned tom shuffle is not as fun as it sounds, HTL for me.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ralph-NY

They flop with both or die stone dead with both.  I think the range can effect it more

OldSchool

I've always shot lead. Sometimes they flop, sometimes they don't. Like you said, dead is dead. As long as they don't get back up I'm happy.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Tom Foolery

It's like deer hunting and people having to use magnums so they are DRT.  They don't understand that shutting down the CNS is what drops them. You can do it with a 300 WM or a 223 Rem, just stick it in the right spot.

I am a hevishot/heavyweight user for the simple fact they pattern better.  They can flop all they want as long as they stay dead.

Happy

I have a theory but it's probably wrong.  I  have no medical degree just some experience killing lots of birds.  I have butchered hundred of chickens and turkeys as well as shot a few wild ones.
You can cut a head completely off and they still flop. It's a reaction in the nervous system much like a snake still writes around after you kill it. However I do believe there is a spot in the central nervous system that if you hit it will give you the stone dead effect. We are shooting tighter patterning loads with smaller pellets these days and I just think that hitting the "x" is a more common occurrence. Just a theory, nothing more

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WisTurk

I haven't been turkey hunting as long as many of the folks here, but I've only had two birds drop stone dead without any flopping around.  I've used both HTL (the older hevi shot when Remington put their name on it) and lead (been using the long beards for the last couple of seasons).  I can't say that one or the other kills them any better or "more dead" than the other.  Whatever patterns best for your gun is what you should use.

owlhoot

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 05, 2016, 07:33:08 PM
I'm not knocking anyone for using hevi shot or heavy weight shells because I use them too. What I can't figure out is how everyone always says they are better because the birds they shoot with them don't even flop. I was born and raised on a farm and have been involved in hundreds of chicken and turkey killings. Every one was/is decapitated and everyone flops!  How much deader can you get than having no head?  Lack of flopping comes from body trama, not from head trauma. Just because a bird flops doesn't mean that the shell isn't effective anymore than it means the hatchet wasn't effective.
No theory , just know HW shot birds don't flop as often as shots with lead did.

Body trauma huh, guess HTL shot to the head and neck really does knock the crap out of them!

OldSchool

Quote from: davisd9 on April 05, 2016, 07:45:23 PM
The stunned tom shuffle is not as fun as it sounds, HTL for me.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Like I said, I've never used the HTL loads, but I couldn't agree more with that statement.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

tha bugman

Quote from: OldSchool on April 05, 2016, 07:53:05 PM
I've always shot lead. Sometimes they flop, sometimes they don't. Like you said, dead is dead. As long as they don't get back up I'm happy.

Bob
Amen brother!

beakbuster10

I don't think it matters what you're shooting or how far they are. Some flop and some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

Quote from: Happy on April 05, 2016, 09:58:18 PM
I have a theory but it's probably wrong.  I  have no medical degree just some experience killing lots of birds.  I have butchered hundred of chickens and turkeys as well as shot a few wild ones.
You can cut a head completely off and they still flop. It's a reaction in the nervous system much like a snake still writes around after you kill it. However I do believe there is a spot in the central nervous system that if you hit it will give you the stone dead effect. We are shooting tighter patterning loads with smaller pellets these days and I just think that hitting the "x" is a more common occurrence. Just a theory, nothing more

I know this for a fact, if you stick a chicken in the roof of his mouth with a knife, he will not flap around. He'll basically just go limp. I used to take my chickens to a slaughter house and that's how they did it. They'd shutter and be dead...So maybe that's why some of the birds we shoot just go stunned dead...

nosaj

Quote from: sixbird on April 06, 2016, 10:27:22 PM
Quote from: Happy on April 05, 2016, 09:58:18 PM

I know this for a fact, if you stick a chicken in the roof of his mouth with a knife, he will not flap around. He'll basically just go limp. I used to take my chickens to a slaughter house and that's how they did it. They'd shutter and be dead...So maybe that's why some of the birds we shoot just go stunned dead...

I was wonder the same thing and now to me it makes sense that if you are hitting them with 20 #7's or 5 # 5's there is a better chance the 7's are going to hit the switch shutting things down. With that said if they didn't fly or didn't run I am all grins :)  !!

WildSpur

My experience is they will still flop however I have not had them start flopping until the tag goes on and then it is minor compared to lead birds in the past.  I can say I see a difference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Spurs

Lmfao!!!  I have been wondering the same thing.

Anyone that claims "flopping" as an argument on how strong a load is instantly looses credibility in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!