Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can't figure out the no flopping argument.

Started by Farmboy27, April 05, 2016, 07:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaTuRkStOmPeR

They don't flop nearly as much with H13 as they did with lead.  We shoot quite a few turkeys each spring all across the country and the truth is the amount of flopping, if any, is significantly less with HTL and TSS.

owlhoot

Quote from: davisd9 on April 25, 2016, 12:40:48 PM
Thought I missed a nice tom on Saturday. I shot and he was disappeared with birds running around. They stopped a 100 yards or so away so I could not stand to see what happened. I was feeling sorry for myself when all of a sudden, flop, flop, flop, whew!!! He just dropped and did not start flopping for a minute or so. Thank goodness for the flop and I did not have to wait to know for sure until the other birds left.

Sent from the Strut Zone
My bird last week,didn't flop until i went to pick him up about 3 minutes later. HW7's 32 yards.

davisd9

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 25, 2016, 06:58:49 PM
Wow!  If lead was/is really as poor and ineffective of a load as what all the stories here suggest, then I guess there was a pile of us(all of us actually) that were being very unethical back in the day by using a weapon and load that couldn't effectively kill our quarry. Shame on us!  I can't believe they haven't outlawed lead yet.

Yet to interpret that from any post.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Quote from: davisd9 on April 26, 2016, 10:57:49 AM
Wow!  If lead was/is really as poor and ineffective of a load as what all the stories here suggest, then I guess there was a pile of us(all of us actually) that were being very unethical back in the day by using a weapon and load that couldn't effectively kill our quarry. Shame on us!  I can't believe they haven't outlawed lead yet.

x2  was not able to get that posts point either

turkey buster

Quote from: owlhoot on April 26, 2016, 11:48:07 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on April 26, 2016, 10:57:49 AM

I think he's saying if HTL is so superior that people claim birds killed by it don't flop, then we are all unethical for ever using lead...I believe he meant it sarcastically
x2  was not able to get that posts point either

Redfish

I don't have as much experience as many here but I'll take the heat and say that you can mark me down in the HTL no flop column. I switched to HTL four years ago and 7 of the eight birds I've killed since (Florida only allows two a year) have dropped instantly. A couple have started flopping about three minutes later but I don't feel the need to run to the bird like I did with lead. I killed one this weekend at 40 yrds. and he never flinched. The difference was noticeable to me the first bird I killed with it. Killed many with lead before that and they died too, just usually made a lot more ruckus doing it.
John 3:16

THattaway

Lead kills turkeys just as dead provided you put enough of it on target at an effective range. HTL leaves more margin for operator error IMO.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Ihuntoldschool

I have never judged a kill by the amount of flopping, never shot anything but lead.  They flop more when you run to them quickly than they do if you walk calmly to the bird. Often  times they don't flop at all until you start to pick them up. You can take half their head off and they still flop same as a chicken with no head. Long as they are dead I don't pay much attention to the flop.